What would you say?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What would you say?

Post by pteadams2002 on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 18:05

So many times I have been approached by people since my release and they all say the same thing, friends and family alike. "How long did you serve?"
At first it didn't bother me, when people would say, "only 5 years !". Then I felt that some where just asking to see if I got a pension, and checking to see what my income might be. Out of the dozens of people that asked me this question, only one had ever served. I have started to respond now by saying: "How long have you served?" What would you say?

Last edited by pteadams2002 on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 18:12; edited 1 time in total
pteadams2002
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2012-08-04

http://pteadams2002@hotmail.com

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you say?

Post by Guest on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 18:09

That is a great response to that unwelcomed invasion of your privacy so therefore I would keep saying it like that if it comes up again. Good for you.
Bug Out

Back to top Go down

Post by pteadams2002 on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 18:15

Thanks Bug Out. That makes me feel better. I'm going to make the best ever chocolate cake in your honour.
Very Happy
pteadams2002
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 18:22

Thanks, my favorite.....with a cup of tea please...Bug Out

Back to top Go down

Post by BoltAction308 on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 18:33

That's another good question that gets to me as well and to be honest, i bullshit them. I tell them I had split service (which I did) and usually tell them "Just over 10 years" even if it's not that at all. It usually shuts them up, but then they ask the "Pension" question to which i reply, "That's personal information and I don't make it a habit to ask people what their income or salary is" and they usually leave it alone after that.
BoltAction308
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2013-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by pteadams2002 on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 18:35

How about the old standby " I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you",
Ha ha ha. Tks.
pteadams2002
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 18:37

That would not be good if BoltAction was a sniper in the service!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 18:43

Here is one of the questions I've had trouble with. Surprisingly asked a couple of times..."where did you fight?" Uh...in grade school...maybe a bit in Highschool. I WAS INJURED IN A GODDAMN TRAINING ACCIDENT IN THE SLESSE RANGES IN BC. YES, SMASHED BY A BLOODY BRIDGING PANEL. BROKEN SHOULDER, BACK, HIP, T SPINE...I FIGHT EVERY F284ING DAY!! Oh some civies just don't get it. I never had a chance, shortly after my base clearance our unit left for Gulf war 1. Nontheless, I am a fourth generation Canadian Soldier.
Chimo

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 18:45

Sapper, it isn't where you served in the Armed Forces it is that you served.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 19:00

That keeps me sane, knowing that I belong to a very special group of Patriots.
Thanks.
Dave

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 19:19

Well Id just be proud of your service getting to end of your first contract is all that matters even just passing your recruit school and hitting regiment is time to be proud of. Stand tall be proud dont compare yourself to others who served longer or in exotic places. You served thats all that matters. A small story about the measuring of our dicks as it relates to service and medals and places of tours.
Old soldier at vets reunion and parade was asked by young hard airborne soldier with lots of medals and proud set of jump wings and usual ranger tab and US goodies on his uniform. How many jumps do you have. As the old fellow looked down at his own sparse chest with a set of wings and only 2 medals he said only 1 jump. Young fellow said he had 350 and had been all over the world and he ask the old vet where he had been, he said Normandy.....on his only jump.
Kinda sums it up. be proud of what you have done.

Last edited by Rags on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 19:45; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 19:34

Rags, that story gave me goosebumps.Wow

Back to top Go down

Post by pteadams2002 on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 20:09

Thank-you. Great Story.
pteadams2002
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 20:41

Most civies don't understand that our mundane is their extraordinary. We do things in "training" that risks lives, and have destroyed more than a few bodies. Heck I remember when I served on Terra Nova, having to climb on top of the Fire Control director (above the ships bridge) to check the locks on the radar dish in heavy sea states, and could have been lost at sea very easily on several occasions, and that was just for watch changeover.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3072
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by georges dumont on Fri 25 Jan 2013, 21:05

bigrex, that's wy our lives are so painfulltoday. Every day I see human stupidity. Lives are lost, bodyare scraped for life. For what? being in a hurry, chating on a phone!!!! I've streched my neck pout a few times for the peace and liberty of peoplethat throw it away for nothing. Complainning seems to be there favorite pass time. Wasto weeks in th dessert with one liter of water per day, never complained! My body is 15 years older than I am but I do not complain. Even wors is that I petty thous how petty me. I am proud of what I did, but ometimes I feel it was a waist!

georges dumont
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 745
Registration date : 2012-10-22

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum