Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs

Post by RobbieRoyal on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 19:48

Lesson 1. Once you depart the gates of any CFB you no longer carry the weight and opinions of others unless you enjoy a swift kick in the nads on a daily basis. My opinion and please take it to heart and not directly in the nads, “Leave the I care what other’s will think of me when I cry like a baby and ask , WHAT IS IN IT FOR ME.”
Look at it this way, while you are acting all tough and buff in front of your clan, they wait till your back is turned and jump on the hand out wagon.
Biggest point here troops, YOU are the Veteran, You served your country, and you became ill because of your service. I do not know how many tough son of a bitches I have talked to in the past 2 years and boy it floors me how many say the same damn thing. “Well I feel guilty taking this money, I am better than that.” Too you I say get stuffed and look way beyond the horizon of dumb dumb and walk across the road to where we all should be standing and look around you. Yup just as I though we are equals and we all deserve a better and brighter future for ourselves and family. PS those that judge you have already been judged (VRAB) and believe me they are getting paid for it.
Lesson 2. You and you alone have to Police your health issues, VAC will not walk you through the “Sausage Machine” to gain better entitlements or VIP Programs.
Point. During the initial release periods Case Managers try to assist you with an easier transition into the civilian world of thinking. My advice is to keep your military train of though and focus in a high state of readiness as civilian life is a paperwar of challenges and dead end streets. When you produce paperwork invent a file system that includes a log of activities that include names places and events.
For example:
July 10th 2003 put a claim into VAC for chronic right ankle sprain.
October 08 2003 VAC awarded 2% at 5/5ths for injury
October 08 2005 resubmitted claim for chronic right ankle sprain.
February 11 2006 denied any further entitlement for chronic right ankle sprain.
February 23rd 2006 1100 hrs Dr. Righteous (family Dr.) had x-rays completed on my right ankle and noted a change in his initial diagnoses.
February 24th 2006 informed VAC through writing that my right ankle had gotten worse and asked for a medical review.
March 08th 2006 received the ok to have my right ankle re-assessed and received a file with the applicable paperwork.
October 16th 2006 VAC awarded me with an additional 3% at 5/5ths for chronic right ankle strain now diagnosed as AVULSION FRACTURE Stress Syndrome.
Synopsis for the above TEXT is simple, You have to stay on top of your medical situation at all times and keep re addressing your injuries under the policies that are outlined through VAC. Every 24 months you should be asking yourself is there a change in my medical history worth investigating and documenting. Anything from a change of medications to more thraphy on body parts. Even if you are at 100% VAC you should still inform VAC in writing that there have been changes in your medical history. I say this because as you get old you will in theory fall appart that is a given, so stay on top of it.
Ladies and Gentlemen this is a race, it is a race to a brighter financially sound life after the military. If your goal is not to receive 100% (this is for those that are unable to work) then I am sorry but you are on a one way track to, “Son of a Bitch I should have Listened to that Crazy Buggger Robbie Royal years ago”, “Now look at us Ethel, not a pot to piss in”.
DO NOT let anyone tell you that you do not need to submit a change to your medical history because it will not help you get more money or make a difference on your VAC card with the A’s and B’s. Quote me please, your body your health your right to do so, remember these VAC personal won’t be around when you tell some one, “well I did submit that over the phone when I talked to what’s her name that was therein 2007”. You will get “Who”, “She doesnot work here anymore”. Document your evideance troops cover your ass, we all live in a tech savy world if you cant do it have a family member or a friend help you, and if that does not help then damn well PM me and I’ll help you.
Final Note; Always update your medical information from VAC and If you didn’t get the paper work call them ask for it, beg for it just do it Yearly and every two years for different programs. If they offer VOC-REHAB enlist but you and only you know if you are capable of returning to the work force. You and only you know your limitations and your capabilities, some jughead can not tell you what to do over the phone and if you do not feel comfortable tell them to back off. 99.9% of the time they listen and suck it up to assist you, remember the insurance companies want you to work it means kless of a financial workover for them. YOU call the shots they initiate policy.
Lesson 3. This I have learned and boy it is a hard pill to swallow for some but it makes sence in the long run. CPPD (Canadian Pension Plan Disability Benefit) and DTC (Disability Tax Credit) apply for it immediately.
Why?
1. It makes the transition from long term disability to old age pension easier.
2. I t shows the  CRA that you could not pay into the CPP therefore they may go easy on you when you turn 65 or when you apply.
3. If you do not apply then SISIP could terminate your monthly LTD benefits for non-compliancy reasons regarding LTD policy, is it a bad thing? Actually yes to the CPPD application (because they SISIP did not tell you about these rules until you felt overwhelmed and pissed at not knowing) and no as being a recipient of another taxable source of income will net you more cash flow especially if you have children. Pain in the ass initially but worth it and remember you may not qualify first time around but at least your crossing your T’s and dotting your I’s. This makes SISIP happy.
I will enlist the knowledge of others to write our CPPD stories here and maybe you can take something from our stories. I do believe not all stories will be happy but I do believe them full of information.
Lesson 4. REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT ALONE, NEVER EVER EVER are you alone. PM myself and RECON031 anytime, we obvisouly do not have all the answers but we will try to help if we can. If anyone else wishes to add their names to the list please do so.
This may sound out of touch or rehearsed but I swear it is not, I AM ONE VETERAN HELPING ANOTHER VETERAN.
WHY?
Because I am no better with knowledge and I am no lesser without it, I am your brother.

Last edited by RobbieRoyal on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 19:51; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : error)
RobbieRoyal
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs

Post by Guest on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 19:58

I enjoy Vac, I love them and treat them as family. I have never met a more caring bunch of people. I dont know how many times they have dropped a 24 over or just said can I drop by some Swiss chalet,

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons Learned that will influence your future in all matters Veteran Affairs

Post by Trooper on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 20:00

Excellent advice there Robbie. It looks like you pretty well covered all the angles in your post.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5258
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 20:04

FNC1A1, have we met ? I think I know you.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 20:14

FNCIA1, where are you ? Are you hiding ?
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 20:37

Robbie royal ....still makes my hair blow back ....thanks for the wisdom

Back to top Go down

Post by dzanzio on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 21:03

robbie, thanks for the time and effort you put into that post
dzanzio
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbieRoyal on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 21:22

Hope it helps a tad troops and Anzio you are alway welcome my brother, Airborne
RobbieRoyal
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rucksack031 on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 21:54

Need not to add all points coverd and so true, add this old bugger to the list, thanks brother RR. rucksack031 over but nerver out and privliged to be in honorable company.
rucksack031
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2012-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 14 Jun 2013, 08:33

Good morning Steve ,

After the marathon LL convo about this , you put it all into perspactive , well covered , great job Steve , with all the experience amongst us here on the CSAT , No ONE Veteran should be without an Earned Benefit that he / she is Entitled to .

For Country
Retired Army Master Sniper
Dave Fitzpatrick
family of        .7       waiting to be processed

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay on Sat 15 Jun 2013, 05:06

Robbie Royal wrote:Because I am no better with knowledge and I am no lesser without it, I am your brother.

Very nicely said
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by BoltAction308 on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 06:12

Very well said RR! I found myself in a few of your examples and man, did you ever hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em, this is  along assed story...

I fought 10 years to get my VAC pension and truth be told, there were times I honestly thought they thought I was milking it. My lowest of lows came one day about 12 years ago. I walked into the kitchen and I must've had a strange look on my face because my wife asked me what was wrong. I couldn't hold it in any longer and broke down like a little baby.

Here I had 2 little boys who needed me and I couldn't even provide financially for them! Everything just came to me like an avalanche of so many bureaucrats and other government departments shutting the door in my face. Hell, since my wife was on Maternity Leave from the CF at that time, and I had been 3B'd out 2 years prior THINKING I'd have my VAC pension by then, but of course I kept being denied so here I was broke, wife was barely bringing any income in due to being on Mat Leave so I applied for WELFARE just to make the bare ends meet and was DENIED! I didn't get it. Not to single out Somalians here, but I am and will because they are who make up part of this story, BUT, here we were broke like a joke and we'd see these Somalians in the flea and roach infested apartments we were renting in Ottawa because it was all we could afford, yet they'd pull up in new cars, they'd have new furniture delivered to them and come welfare day, we wouldn't go near the mail boxes in the lobby because it would be packed tight with Somalians picking up their 2 to 3 cheques EACH because they found a way to use their 2-3 birth names to receive 2-3 welfare cheques! Man, I can go on and on about that scenario but just typing this makes me chain smoke!

So after years of getting dirt kicked in my face I was ready to snap! I had a meeting with a high level VAC official who listened to my story. I told him how I waited over a year to get a Pre Medical Examination done (or whatever their called from VAC's doctor) and come the day the doctor tells me my file was misplaced and he hadn't had time to look it over and they would have to reschedule. I lost it on him and let him know I was not amused at all because I didn't even have a pot to piss in and now it looked like I'd have to wait another year before seeing a VAC doctor!?!?! This part of a long story was the VAC official agreed with me that I had waited way too long already and he would make sure I got in quickly. Within 2 weeks I had a different doctor review my case and signed off that my injuries were indeed attributable to military service and he himself couldn't believe why i was being denied when all the CF98's and related paperwork were in my files.

Fast Forward a few months and they gave me a 15% pension. I was happy because it was retro from date of application but like I told them, I was 3B'd out of the CF and we had always been told if 3B'd out we'd be taken care of so therefore 15% was SFA and I wanted was I was entitled to! Finally after 10 years of fighting them I was awarded 100%.

Even at that, as RR posted, they do not tell you what other benefits you are entitled to! You have to find them yourself! In a way I was lucky I was a Medic because I knew what to look for. Maybe the system has changed for the better now but back then, once you left the CFB's you were to fend for yourselves!

Life is better nowadays. Kids are all grown up with one of my "babies" graduating high school this month! Not near as much piss and vinegar in the tank as I used to have, nowhere near the amount of hair I used to have and now have an impressive baseball hat collection as a result. 

Never stop fighting and as RR posted, keep that soldier mentality alive and fine tuned to fight whatever battles you may face once you are out. The best people to talk to are fellow veterans who have been through the ringer of disappointment and they'll tell you the same thing, fight, fight, fight!

Salute!

EDIT: Forgot to add that to this day, I have never received anything from SISIP. I applied for SISIP when I was first released but was told I didn't qualify so left it at that. THAT was a bad move on my part and should've appealed that decision! I have since re-applied when I came upon these forums and was told too bad so sad, I only had a year to appeal their initial decision and seeing how I never replied to their follow up letter which they sent to the wrong address in the wrong province I might add, how could I follow up when they sent stuff to the wrong address and province? How was I supposed to know they were trying to reach me? Yet they had my current phone number? That makes no sense at all. Anyhow, I fwd'd that info to MC to review as I may have from what I'm being told a good case to receive LTD benefits after all.

I appied for and received CPP-D before receiving a favourable VAC decision. I also received the Disability Tax Credit one time and was denied this taxation year for whatever reason??? I'm currently looking into that one as it makes no sense.

Update VAC to any and all health changes you have because it does make a difference!
BoltAction308
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2013-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 07:46

Bolt action .....An excellent read ....i hope you will forward this to liberal and ndp defense critics ....the next government needs to know ...

Back to top Go down

Posting to forums

Post by Dove96 on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:04

Is there any way to transfer this topic to Veteran Help forum? This type of advice and discussion would be so helpful to members who wouldn't know to look under "SISIP".Question

Last edited by Dove96 on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:38; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)

Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 176

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbieRoyal on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:16

Boltaction my brother you got me in a bad way today but at least we can look back and inform others that the fight to win is a fight generated by the gutless senators who embody policy in the intrest of self. But our stories are about perseverance and pain above and beyond our call to country. Policies were never made to stand up to perserverance so thanks for the read my good friend. I am glad you fought the fight and I am even more proud that you shardd your horific  adventure with all of us. Pro Patria
RobbieRoyal
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top