Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

SISIP LTD and ELB

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: SISIP LTD and ELB

Post by TripleT on Wed 10 Jul 2013, 15:01

Bigrex    I am in this situation because I am/was receiving ELB right up until end June. My file was in adjudication so I didn't get re-instated until a week ago. I didn't stop ELB until I knew that I would receive benefits going forward, hence SISIP retro going back to 01 Oct 2012. So now I have to pay back the ELB benefits I received from that date. At least thats what my CM says. I will wait for the letter from VAC telling me "ELB has been terminated and you owe us...."

TripleT
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2013-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by TripleT on Wed 10 Jul 2013, 14:36

Hey propat, (and any other vets to whom this may apply to) CM says that if you are re-instated and receiving retro, then any ELB payments made to a member since 01 Oct 2012 will have to be paid back. He is unsure about ELB payments received prior to 01 Oct 2012, since the settlement wasn't official yet.

This link is to a VAC policy document covering Earnings Loss Benefit-Overpayment; Recovery, Write Off and Remission. I direct you to Para 25abcd. I will be sending a letter to the Minister asking for a Remittance, leaning heavily on sub para c.

25  c.  the repayment of an over payment would cause undue hardship to a member or a beneficiary- applicable in those situations  where the member is in receipt of income tested benefits(ie. Guaranteed Income Supplement, CFIS benefit, etc) and/or if emotional distress caused by the overpayment appears to pose a threat to the members state of health.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/department/policy/document/1212#anchor26963

TTT

TripleT
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 08 Jul 2013, 17:02

bloggins ELB is also based on your former salary like sisip but with a minimum threshold.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bloggins on Mon 08 Jul 2013, 16:47

Hi,

I was approved for ELB, but including my CF, CPP(D), and VAC PA amounts all as taxable income, I received zero ELB from my application in 2008.

I was previously approved for SISIP LTD, but because of the same amounts being thought of wholly as taxable income, I was declared a zero-sum recipient of LTD from the start of my release and beyond the 24 months..

Being reinstated on the monthly payment of SISIP LTD as of last October, and awaiting my retro payment.

I have yet to receive anything from VAC reference to being reinstated on ELB, and would have been due to the same reasons that my LTD was reinstated if this was a matter of neither affecting the other.

It would be my guess that the file sharing that was allowed last fall, has informed VAC that I am on SISIP, not confirmed, but my guess..

Is the purpose of ELB only to bring you up to a minimum threshold of taxable income, not based on our former salaries as SISIP LTD is?

bloggins
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 08 Jul 2013, 15:37

bigrex its TTT in this position so he asked the question. being paranoid as I can get I immediately thought of him and other vets getting into a spot of getting sisip retro and having to pay legal fees on that and then having to return the FULL amount to DVA. so I double checked the sisip policy under relevant sources of income and as I thought ELB was not amongst them. then I checked the ELB legislation AND regs for fund recovery and found nothing so I posted the relevant info that might help.

again a very interesting question.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Mon 08 Jul 2013, 15:23

Actually, I'm not sure what will happen if you have been getting SISIP and ELB since Nov. Your ELB should have ceased as soon as your SISIP was reinstated. So as long as you haven't been doubling up programs, nobody should have to pay money back. Propat, if you have been getting both, I would call VAC right away and get this settled sooner, rather then wait for them to figure it out, because then they may play hardball with you, IE: withhold any taxable benefits until the balance is paid off.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3323
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 08 Jul 2013, 08:51

great stuff big rex  and yes as ive alluded to in my first post 75% is 75%. im sure even though sisip sent him his reinstatement retro many months after he was on elb they would deduct it from his full retro yet to come. however the question was would VAC want him to  pay back the retro. now I would naturally assume that to mean if sisip doesn't catch it since if they did they would be no need to repay anyone.

will VAC want me to give back all ELB received since Nov 2012?

I cant find any legislation ore regulation for repayment of ELB.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Mon 08 Jul 2013, 00:51

OK, let's clear the air here. One, if you are reinstated on SISIP, VAC likely already knows and will be sending a letter stating that your ELB has ceased, and it will resume if any time you come off SISIP. Other members here have experienced this. As for your retro, since ELB is consider income replacement, all the gross amounts earned from ELB shall be deducted from your retro. And because of the information sharing that has taken place, be assured that SISIP knows exactly how much you've been paid under the ELB program.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3323
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 07 Jul 2013, 21:58

great news TTT yes you will know soon enough buds.hope you make out great.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by TripleT on Sun 07 Jul 2013, 21:54

If VAC(ELB is going to be looking for money, I'll know soon enough.

TripleT
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TripleT on Sun 07 Jul 2013, 21:52

yes, just got my letter of re-instatement and a check to cover benefits from 01 OCT to present.

TripleT
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TripleT on Sun 07 Jul 2013, 21:51

Thank you very much for taking all that time to research my question propat, I really appreciate it. For now, no news is good news...I guess.

TripleT
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 07 Jul 2013, 21:30

are you currently getting monthly payments from sisip?

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 07 Jul 2013, 21:24

lol don't blame ya buds now under one section of the diarrhea I went through it sayed that the minister could do this that and the other thing this included stopping ELB and so forth. this is where I expected to see a the minister can request repayment of statement but none could be found. you can take this for what its worth witch is not much but from everything ive read I really don't think you have to pay it back contrary to what I would have expected.

either way I hope you make out the best buds take the money and run lol.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by TripleT on Sun 07 Jul 2013, 21:22

And just to add, I'm quite positive that I'm not the only vet receiving ELB while I wait for my refund from Manual Life. In accordance with the rules of ELB, I'm supposed to inform them of any additional income, which I will, soon, maybe. I'm just afraid too. Last time I "did the right thing", I got a letter from VAC telling me that I received an over payment of benefits going back to 2001. IT WAS $ 74,000.00!! After fighting with them for month's insisting it was an error on the part of an employee at VAC, they finally remitted the over-payment and gave me back my benefits, however the stress took 10 years off my life. Farging bastages!!

TripleT
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next