Just finished reading Mr Parents Statement to CBC

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just finished reading Mr Parents Statement to CBC

Post by BinRat on Thu 11 Nov 2010, 20:36

Okay I just found and read Mr. Parents statement to CBC http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2010/11/11/guy-parent-ombudsman.html And submitted that link story to vvi
now if Mr Parent as it sounds like from his comments is going to be another Lame Duck, Yes man for the Conservatives, where he thinks negotiate is better (Been there tried hasn't worked)
is there a way we can Boycott his position or do anything, like thats all we need is to get everything going, then get this fricken lame duck in as the new OVO.

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Just finished reading Mr Parents Statement to CBC

Post by bigrex on Fri 12 Nov 2010, 11:39

All I can suggest is give him 6 months, since he already knows what the issues are and basically being promoted from within, that is more than adequate time. Then after the six months and we haven't seen or heard any progress, we do a ATI request concerning the issues. If he has been busy negotiating on our behalf, there will be a paper trail. Unfortunately, I fear you are right. This guy has been working in the system for several years, yet he has never raised his voice or gone public over inadequacies within VAC, and VAC knows that he will sit on his laurels. His apparent lack of a backbone is possibly one of the reasons VAC assigned him to the OVO in the first place, and that is why his contract is for 6 years while Pat Strogan being an unknown factor when creating the OVO, had his contract to 3 years. Such a limited contract ensured VAC that if after getting the office up and running and getting to hear and investigate the complaints, he would be limited in time to raise his concerns. In fact one could make the argument that this is what VAC planned all along. After all, it took 8-9 months to announce who the first Ombudsmen was after standing up the position, yet it only took 3 months to announce his successor, who is from within the department that he is overlooking. It just seems too much like a patronage appointment to me.

I really have concerns about his one statement though, "When you cross that line over to the advocacy side, it means, unfortunately, you lose the credibility of the department,". Isn't advocacy part and parcel in the description of what an ombudsmen does, ensuring that the people that you have been charged to watch over are not abused by the system. And who is he concerned will lose credibility and with whom? VAC? the OVO? The only entity that he should be concerned about having any credibility with are the Veterans themselves, and so far, he has very little, IMHO.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3078
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

nepotism at it's finest!

Post by skater275 on Fri 12 Nov 2010, 15:36

What is the traditional role of an Ombudmen? if that means tow the company line, well we are in alot of trouble. BTW isn't that the way they use to promote the "party faithful" at the Kremlin? I guess the current government learn't a few tricks from the old Soviet system.... cherry
skater275
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-10-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Just finished reading Mr Parents Statement to CBC

Post by RealVET on Fri 12 Nov 2010, 20:34

skater275 wrote:What is the traditional role of an Ombudmen? if that means tow the company line, well we are in alot of trouble. BTW isn't that the way they use to promote the "party faithful" at the Kremlin? I guess the current government learn't a few tricks from the old Soviet system.... cherry

ya and the Legions say "comrade" well us new generation veterans call each other "brother or sister" as we are a family and nos distinction as to where you served or what you did..we served and with honor!! hmmm maybe some Marxism or Lennanism in our Govt and Legions?

tounge in cheek..

RealVET
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-10-07

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top