Can i work and still collect sisip LTD- Sparrow or Supremedebater, I need your guidance and professional investigative skills !

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can i work and still collect sisip LTD- Sparrow or Supremedebater, I need your guidance and professional investigative skills !

Post by Ex Member on Wed 30 Oct 2013, 15:59

A member is “totally disabled” if they were released from the Canadian Forces and there is medical evidence that they suffer from an active medically determinable physical or mental impairment, which prevents them from performing any and every duty of any substantially gainful occupation or employment for which they are reasonably qualified by education, training or experience.

Any substantially gainful occupation or employment for which they are reasonably qualified by education, training or experience.

I was Electrical Engineer in the military.  3b med released. PTSD 27%- ( My doctor says not too but I  want too)

Can I  work as a  driver or Walmart greeter and not lose my $550 dollar per month from Sisip Ltd?  Since this work is well below my education training and experience.

Sparrow does her home work and talks to the people in positions to answer that is why I am asking her to investigate!  

I would also appreciate others opinions.

Thanks
Signed

formerly known as Rocket Scientist

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Re: Can i work and still collect sisip LTD- Sparrow or Supremedebater, I need your guidance and professional investigative skills !

Post by Will's Ridge on Wed 30 Oct 2013, 16:43

Coffeetime. Is this a full time job or just part time? If it is full time I am certain you will have all your 550 per month stopped. If all you can handle is a part time then SISIP will probably take 50 cents on the dollar. IE: You make 1000 per month and they claw back 500. It has been a while since I reviewed regulations pertaining to this issue and am certain others with more up to date knowledge will jump in.

Will's Ridge
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2012-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Can i work and still collect sisip LTD- Sparrow or Supremedebater, I need your guidance and professional investigative skills !

Post by bigrex on Thu 31 Oct 2013, 02:55

I would be careful. First, they only deduct 50% of employment earning while participating in a rehab program, and this clause is likely geared to those members who are medically released, and find employment inside the 24 month window, not those approved until 65. I believe there is also a clause that states that if your unreduced employment earning bring you to 100 of pre-release salary, LTD is terminated, even if the reduced wages are less than the 75% mark.

Also, SISIP may view your part time employment as being able to work, but choosing to work reduced hours to maintain your LTD. Right now they are probably looking at any way possible to reduce the amount of Veterans now collecting benefits due to the lawsuit, and may be ready to make hasty assumptions to achieve just that. Then it leaves it up to the Veteran to go through the appeal process.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3047
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbieRoyal on Thu 31 Oct 2013, 05:47

Absolutely true if you are deemed fit to work and then reduce your hours of employment in order to collect LTD benefits they will cut you off in a heartbeat. The reason you are given a diagnoses is order to gain these benefits, you should refrain from self diagnosing it plays right into their hands.
RobbieRoyal
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1697
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 01 Nov 2013, 10:32

Thanks for your opinions ... I was focused on the fact I am still disabled with respect to the definition ... Just wanted to work at something

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 01 Nov 2013, 10:59

I do not see how they my claim since I am working below my skill set ... I realize I will loose the monthly money while working ...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:09

Oops missed the word should stop my claim

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 01 Nov 2013, 11:47

coffeetime here is my opinion for what its worth.

DONT GREET AT WALLMART.

wanting to work is great buds but make sure you can before you do.

you were an Electrical Engineer DO THAT.if you cant do that study ore upgrade as best you can until you are ready. talk to your CM they may be able to help with some training plans.

just my opinion wish you the best buds.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 01 Nov 2013, 18:01

Volunteerism is a wonderful fulfilling approach to feeling useful and giving back like we did in the military flower 

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Fri 01 Nov 2013, 18:20

I agree Sparrow, volunteering is a good way to fulfilling approach to feeling useful, if one is up to the task. I am not so sure about going back to work, I guess that would depend on ones condition/conditions, the problem is what will happen if you start work, and become ill again, how hard would it be to get your full benefits back.
That is not something I would gamble on. Just my opinion.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4879
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Fri 01 Nov 2013, 23:45

Other than those reinstated due to the lawsuit, SISIP does not allow for one to go back on LTD, once you've gone off it. You have to be deemed completely disabled within the initial 24 months, or prove afterwards that you were completely disabled during that time, or you are just out of luck. Honestly, if you have to choose which program, SISIP or ELB, to apply for, ELB is a better deal, other than the outstanding retro situation. Getting approved for EELB until 65, almost guarantees that you also get approved for PIA and the PIA supp, if unable to work, but will only be available if you jump through VAC's hoops instead of SISIP's.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 02 Nov 2013, 08:05

fully agreed bigrex but I would like to add you can be on both SISIP and ELB at the same time ELB may pay nothing but the rest including any retraining programs PIA and supplement will still be available to you.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sat 02 Nov 2013, 13:41

Very true Propat, but right now, if someone has become totally disabled, and was contemplating applying for new benefits, ELB would be the better choice, especially if there is no retro activity to going back on SISIP since it would be outside the scope of the lawsuit.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top