SISIP and 10 year medical pension

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SISIP and 10 year medical pension

Post by Jeffery M on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 07:15

Does the CF 10 year medical pension affect SISIP LTD monthly payment?

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2012-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: SISIP and 10 year medical pension

Post by Guest on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 07:30

Yes, cf pension is deducted , dollar for dollar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 08:50

Jeffery m nav is correct but id like to add that is the initial amount of pension when you first received it  all the indexing after that is not deductible.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 10:03

SISIP did there own indexing to my military pension and deducted it.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeffery M on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 10:20

Very interesting.

DND released me 56 days shy of 10 years service.

If you had the opportunity to but back those days, and complete your 10 years, would you?

Jeffery M
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2012-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 11:55

firebird im not sure I follow could you explain further. in their policy SISIP clearly states that indexing is not considered a relevant sorce of income.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 12:01

It is my opinion that if an injured member is within 364 days of a 10 year pension they should be allowed to "buy" into that last year to get the pension.

I also believe that pension 'benchmark' should be changed to 5 years. We all know our pension plan has enough money to do this change.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3238
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 18:56

Looks like some members are being discharged just before hitting the 10 year mark.

Soldier with PTSD denounces discharge before qualifying for pension

A Canadian soldier suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder says he was forced out of the military before he could qualify for a pension.

Cpl. David Hawkins, a reservist from London, Ont., is the latest soldier to go public with his battle over the pension issue.He told CTV News that he had no plans to leave the military even though he has severe PTSD, but he got a letter last week saying he’s been discharged. Hawkins says he begged the Canadian Forces to keep him until he hit the 10-year service mark that would make him eligible for a fully indexed pension. He was less than a year away from that mark.But he says he was pushed out because his condition prevents him from deploying at a moment’s notice.“If you don't meet the universality of service, you can no longer serve under the military, and basically they don't have any use for you,” Hawkins said.

This is what is going on within the service today, being given the boot before being eligible to collect a pension, this is the lowest of the lowest, the government in high gear trying to save money on the backs of our troops. I would not be a bit surprised that before to long, no Canadian will want to join the service.

Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5107
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 19:00

Agreed

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Sat 16 Nov 2013, 19:43

Navrat, it's a real sad situation for those that find themselves in that position, the individual mention was just one example of many that are now facing that very same situation. Those of us who were fortunate enough to be released with a pension, can be thankful for that, but one can only feel for those who are so close, but are given the boot, just before eligibility.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5107
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags on Mon 25 Nov 2013, 09:38

Im confused he is a reservist. There is no reg force 10 year medical pension. Am I missing something?

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:02

10 years is the benchmark for both Reserves and Reg Force when it comes to a pension. Only the Reserves 10 year is about half of what a Reg Force member would get.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3238
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:10

I believe it all also depends on what type of contract he was on. There are plenty of reservists who works full time in uniform. So if he was working full time for the last 9+ years, he should be entitled to the same as a reg force member. As far as the 10 year pension, under the old TOS, anyone who was medically released prior to serving 10 years simply received a return of contributions, such as the case here, which probably equals several thousand dollars. But once they hit the magical 10 year mark, they are entitled to an immediate, indexed pension for life. It is calculated as 40%-2% for every year less than 20 served, so a 10 year pension would equate to 20% of the average of your best 5 years. These guys aren't going to get rich from this, but several hundred dollars every month in their bank account is better than a kick in the gonads.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3072
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat on Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:47

But the one thing to remember would be this,

That the reserves only well not only, but a few years ago, started paying into a pension plan.
But before that, we didn't pay into a pension plan, so for my 8 year's reserves time back early 1980's
I didn't pay into a pension plan, but I did do a heck of a lot of class "B" and a 1 year "C" class.

With that said, Like Jeffery, they calculated my reserve Class "B", and my reg force to come to
9 years 201 day's, though they didn't count 1 class "B" term cause it was 89 days, and they said
nope it had to be 90 days or more.

But still, there was no pension plan back then for Us reservist to pay into.

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat on Mon 25 Nov 2013, 12:53

Oh and to Add, if they had told me I was only at 9 years 201 day's, and that out of the return of contribution I'd receive
I could buy the remaining time to get to pension time the 10 year's,

The answer would of been quit simply, Yes, and or keep me working for the remaining time, then release me..
But, Nope, Heck I was released before I knew it.

It was posted in the yellow pages, of my release and release date, except no one told me.. I had to get an emergency 6 month
extension, to get thing settled, Leave, PMQ and what not..

I guess from that is, if your serving, and looking to get released find out exactly from Pay, as to if you qualify, and if not, then try
and hold out until ya do have enough time in...

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 214

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top