Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Stay on top of the CRA !!!

Page 3 of 65 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34 ... 65  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Stay on top of the CRA !!!

Post by bigrex on Sat 08 Nov 2014, 10:16

Devans, that is the exact same thing that happened to me. When they initially failed to use my 1198, they said I owed $4000, so I requested the re-adjustment. I then waited for several months, even though I was told readjustments normally take 8 weeks to complete. Then when I finally got sick of waiting, and called the resolution centre, they told me that I was actually getting a refund of $1700, so I led to believe that the 1198 had created a difference of $5700. But once all the paperwork arrived, that "refund" was only applied to the amount that they said I already owed, still leaving me with a tax bill of over $2200.

one thing that really pissed me off was the woman at CRA, said to me that we had all received additional money as part of the settlemnt to pay for taxes, so that i should able to easily pay the bill. She had no idea that that extra money was a joke, and an insult. At 3.27%, my tax top up was only around $1500, then when you subtract the legal fees, and the 30% withholding taxes, I was only left with around $900 in my hand.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3112
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Fri 07 Nov 2014, 23:11

devans156,

That's terrible, bloody terrible. I don't suppose your accountant has any ideas?  Hang in there.

@ TripleT wrote...  " I don't trust them as far as I can throw them!  " Good foresight, it's what I try to use. pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1240
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 07 Nov 2014, 07:15

From what I have seen so far in this whole cluster is simply that the system that revolves within the CRA itself does not show any accountability whatsoever it which ever way they choose to process our returns.

The number one problem that bothers me is that no attempts to contact any of us to alert us that some of our 1198's were not processed.

If you owe the CRA, they will let you know.
If they choose not to include our 1198, they will not let you know.

It is a system meant to recoup !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 19:16

Complete utter bullshit

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbieRoyal on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 15:49

JHC Devans I am totally floored, I assumed like you said earlier it is a great feeling putting this shit behind us, I think I swore sorry Teen
RobbieRoyal
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by devans156 on Thu 06 Nov 2014, 15:17

Went from a high waiting for my refund of almost $10000 after my reassessment was done to a low as they have messed up my file again and applied my refund to my original assessment before the T1198 was taken into account and now have me owing $27000. Can't these people ever do anything right. Not to happy right now.

devans156
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 21:14

from what I have seen the GOC will frack anyone at any time except those that complain about it . ya let these guys frack you without so much as a whimper THEY WILL KEEP DOING IT!!!!

ya make noise they in most cases will stop because ya see there is thousands more out there that will bend over and take it without so much as a word . some people cant and I sure as hell get THAT .

just some incoherent rambling's from a ghost I guess .

we will have a political wing some day and on that day things will start to get better.

the civies that run the legion will of course not be included but the members will.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 17:02

malteezers,

I would like to see the public have first hand knowledge of the stress the CRA has put on so many Veterans throughout this whole ordeal.

However, I think it takes a certain type of individual to come forward and bring this to light publicly.

What we don't want is one who takes this on, and turns out to cause him or her more stress.

It is not the end of the world if it is never brought to light in this manner.

I am sure if no individual does come forward and spearheads this with the CBC, other avenues could be used.

The health of all Veterans must come first, we have enough on our plates as it is.

Just my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by malteezers on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 15:51

So many really good responses that all make sense. We feel the pain of sitting on the fence!! Ouch! We will offer our support if the group decides to 'go public' or otherwise. We just don't feel the confidence necessary to spearhead this. All the comments about how hard this issue is, are deeply felt in our home too. It can be a terrible struggle. It seems no end is in sight some days.

malteezers
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 12:44

Good call Triple T,

your in no way a coward, putting yourself, and your family first, is the right thing to do !!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 12:41

TTT buds all I have to say is THANKS you are trying very hard and I understand.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by TripleT on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 10:48

You hit the nail right on the head there Teen...I don't trust them as far as I can throw them! The GOC is full of PSAC “indeterminates” who operate with impunity and held accountable for nothing. They can't be fired! They will shuffle the useless t*t to another department to screw that up. I've rubbed shoulder's with many of them throughout my military career, and the culture that's rampant in government offices is enough to make you sick. I could give you story after story, but you all know what I'm talking about! I used to have a desk beside a civie who would take all the pending paperwork in his in box and place everything into a “thousand miler” and mail it to himself through central registry and take off golfing. Ya, you know what I'm talking about! A couple of years ago I received a letter from veterans affairs informing me that my subsidies have been terminated and I am in an overpayment of $75,000.00 going back almost 10 years. I was like “WTF”!? Month's and month's, and a ton of correspondence later, I finally managed to convince them that it was “an error on the part of a federal government employee”, however, rather than admit to me that it was in fact an error on the part of an employee, they chose to remit the amount(thank you lord jesus) on the grounds that it would “create financial hardship”. No s**t sherlock! What a crock of camel dung! It's called incompetence! And you and I and every other Canadian out there has to deal with this daily! If it's not happening to me, it's happening to him, or her, or that guy! I spend a great deal of my time having to write letters and respond to a seemingly perpetual flow of freaking paperwork for something or other that usually involves me trying to fix something that they have screwed up!!! Son of a *****!!
I honestly believe that in order for you to be successful as a government employee is to have a huge chip on your shoulder...and many do! It's that “you can't fire me, and I can make your life more miserable than you can make mine” attitude!

So yes, I am extremely worried about reprisal and repercussions from the GOC if I put my face to the story! I believe I'm no different than most of you in that area. Yes, I do feel a little cowardly for that, but my family is in a very bad way right now and they don't need anymore crap!

For what it's worth, I was on the phone last night debating with the producer why we should still be able to do the segment with me blacked out, but she was adamant that “CBC Go Public” is a program that “puts a face to the issue”! Okay I said, fair enough! It was obvious I'm not going to change her mind. I did plead that there must be some other way that CBC can get the story out there, and her response to me was she was going to give it to her bureau chief and see what they say.

As far as I'm concerned, this matter is not over. I will try and find another way to do this. In the interim, I intend to wait for a spell to see if the producer I talked with has another avenue we can take. I made an agreement to give her an exclusive, so I would like to give her first kick at the ca...indeterminates.

TripleT
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2013-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 03 Nov 2014, 20:07

just a point on the deemed tax issue only .

not opinion but two FACTS .

FACT #1 they can grant relief from penalties and INTEREST.

FACT #2 you never have to prove financial hardship unless you are saying that is your reason for applying . the FACT is their are many reasons for applying as stated in the ACT such as  extraordinary circumstances .

I don't really believe this issue is a matter for the press ( but probably wouldn't hurt ) its more a matter for the courts and in my opinion very winnable there .

the issue of what I think might be 25% of the 1198 being dropped and a lot of those maybe most of those still don't even realize it. well that is a matter for the press if for nothing more than informing those vets that their 1198s were never even looked at.

if I was one of those that didn't have my 1198 looked at id do that interview but mine was looked at first time out.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 03 Nov 2014, 19:30

For what it is worth, anyone who willingly puts themselves in potential adversary situations by going public against any organization especially GOC,  has to consider whether the risks outweighs any possible benefit  for themselves or others in contrast to any potential harm that may or may not come to fruition.  I would not be willing to  take on that type of risk based on past outcomes I have seen with respect to Veterans. I am concerned for any person who does but utmost respect for those who have the courage to do so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 03 Nov 2014, 18:49

Teen,

I am happy to hear that the CBC is concentrating on the incompetence of the CRA in processing our returns.
This approach I think would be a proactive one.

With respect to being put in the cross hairs of any GOV department, your point that they have not come after you to date is comforting for sure, and certainly does prove that repercussions are not absolute.
However, the possibility of repercussion does exist, and as we both know even though we have the right, and ability to challenge any such repercussion, this can take it's toll health wise on and individual.
We are all unique in our own way when it comes to dealing with the stress involved in having to fight the Government, some will deal with it with very little problems, while others, may not be so fortunate.
Sometimes I think it's just a good reminder to raise this possibility, one can never tell, when one is acting in anger.

So the way I see it, both your opinion, and mine, are credible in this case

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 65 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 34 ... 65  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top