Stay on top of the CRA !!!

Page 5 of 65 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35 ... 65  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Stay on top of the CRA !!!

Post by bigrex on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 16:30

I have to agree that this waiting is just adding even more stress. I didn't get my return in until last week because SISIP had sent my paperwork to the wrong address. They obviously didn't use the address confirmation forms that we all had to submit as part of the lawsuit, before mailing them out. Now sitting here wondering, if the 1198 form will help, will CRA even use it, will I end up having to pay another 4-5 thousand in taxes, has me pulling out my hair.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3078
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 27 Apr 2014, 19:09

I have been trying to locate some actual CRA policy reference as to whether I will be penalized for not paying my tax bill by end of April for the following reasons:
1. CRA has no record as yet of my paper filed tax return although I did receive the CRA letter of notice for accounting firm representation on Friday which was sent with the tax return as one package so I assume the tax return is with CRA but not processed.
2. I have not received a Notice of Assessment with any amount owing
3. The T1198 has not been processed which in my case by what has been seen to date, will reduce my tax burden for 2013.
So I will call CRA tomorrow and try to get some policy on this matter and also contact the accounting firm to see if they have any reference to this as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 00:15

Digger, CRA will not charge you interest on any tax owing until they send to the notice of assessment. The end of April deadline is only for filing your return, not paying any additional taxes. I believe that you are given 30 days to start paying the taxes owing, (since not everyone is capable of paying it all in one shot) from the date you are sent the notice of assessment. If they do try charging interest before we know how much will be owing, until the 1198 form is processed, I would be giving the CRA Ombudsmen' office a call ASAP.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3078
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 06:50

Line 485 - Balance owing

If your total payable (line 435) is more than your total credits (line 482), enter the difference on line 485. This amount is your balance owing. Generally, if the difference is $2 or less for 2013, you do not have to make a payment.

Your balance is due no later than April 30, 2014. When a due date falls on a Saturday, a Sunday, or a holiday recognized by the CRA, we consider your payment to be made on time if we receive it or it is postmarked on the next business day.

This is from the CRA's web site, now what I have been told is that # 1, you have to file your 2013 return no later than April 30, 2014. # 2, The balance is due no later than April 30, 2014.

Now can someone post the link where it states that you do not have to pay the balance owing until you have received your notice of assessment from the CRA.
I cannot find it, and it would be a good piece of info to provide at this time.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5250
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 08:41

I've been told not to pay but I guess it won't hurt. The deadline has been extended to 5 of May so as long as you make the payment via online banking that day, which will give a date and record of payment your ok wait until the very last minute to pay, there is still 8 more days that your return could be processed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 09:30

trooper that's it that's all buds it is suppose to be payed by that date PERIOD and I have to add MOAST YEARS . with some things in the CRA their is some leniencies granted at times late payment is one of them BUT NOT WRITTER IN STONE except in the fairness provision.

eg; if you file last minuet like me you best pay last minuet like me as no leniency will likely be shown.

eg; if you filed jan 1st you could wait for the assessment as leniency will LIKELY be shown but ITS NOT ABSALUTE if charged penalties in this case you go through the fairness provision useing the request for taxpayer relief and you are almost certain to have those penelties reimbursed.

anywhere between those times is a crapshoot

my advise PAY BY THE DEADLINE!!!!!!!

nav buds that is correct this years deadline is may 5 due to heartbleed .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 16:23

Spoke to CRA today. Now past 6 week mark and no evidence on CRA system that my paper filed tax return ever arrived at destination St. Johns. Now I am told I have to send a duplicate copy of tax return.  I should have mailed myself instead of letting the accountant firm do it. Going to cost me more from accountant to do this tomorrow and then send via Canada Post with signature. I was told that it is a tough call whether to pay my 15k owing on taxes if I think the T1198 is going to help with that. What an ordeal but Trooper is correct, CRA and accounting firm state that any amount owing is due April 30 regardless of Notice of Assessment or T1198. I was also told that any overpayment would get interest on it from CRA. So best to pay it out and hope for the best. Also, the tax payer relief will take up to 7 months to process either way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 16:37

Navrat wrote:I've been told not to pay but I guess it won't hurt. The deadline has been extended to 5 of May so as long as you make the payment via online banking that day, which will give a date and record of payment your ok wait until the very last minute to pay, there is still 8 more days that your return could be processed

Navrat, please be careful as the extension of May 5th is only for filing tax returns and not for paying taxes owed. Two different issues in CRA eyes as taxes owed are to be paid no later than April 30th. Of course not withstanding whether you decide to due to the T1198.

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 16:50

Actually Digger the payment date is extended to May 5. Had that verified by two CRA agents last week.

I too was told to re-submit but I'm holding that off. Last thing I want is a mix up with two returns.

It seems to be a standard answer from CRA agents....re-submit. I was told as your paper file is delivered to the office it's at the bottom of the pile that is growing because of the Heartbleed virus. So maybe wait until mid May before re-submitting. That's my plan of action.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 17:24

teen yes that only makes sense as it would be a little difficult to do your taxes on the 4th and submit them on the 5th how would you know what to pay on the 30th.

happy cinco de mayo

enjoy a tax borito

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 18:18

Well this is just all to fricking confusing, my accountant (CGA) indicated that the $32K+ that is determined by his completion and claiming everything in 2013 does not have to be paid until CRA confirm if the 1198 is better for me is as far as taxes. Why can we not get something confirmed and in writing from CRA to what is the actual process. Why pay them $32K only to have the 1198 and DTC figured in and the amount reduced or eliminated. Not rockafella here and do not have that kind of money to tie up for great periods of time waiting for CRA. Total chaos, nut to mention utter BS. Owe I love our lawyers, owe I love our high paid legal team!
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 18:24

RCN , how long has your return been submitted?

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 18:29

Accountant just finished it and sending to me so I can sign and file.
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 243
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 18:32

Teen I will do that as well then. I will pick up the duplicate tax return tomorrow from accountant and hold off one more week and check again with CRA before sending it. This Heartbleed virus has given me heartburn!

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Mon 28 Apr 2014, 18:35

That's just it RCN no matter how much I dig at CRA I can't get a straight answer!

I have had too many conflicting info from CRA agents and all I really took away from it is this...pay what you owe and it will be sorted out when CRA process' your tax return.

Like I have said before get rid of the headache and worry. If you have the funds pay it before May 5 and put it in the rear view mirror. If the T-1198 works in your favour you get your money back or some of it.

But yeah what a legal team! We get an email from them telling us we are dividing up $35 million, well $35 million minus legal fees, but make it so damn cryptic I think even some lawyers or legal aid people are scratching their heads!

HEY MCINNESS COOPER TRANSLATE THE AGREEMENT TO BLUE COLLAR ENGLISH/FRENCH!!!
teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 65 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35 ... 65  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top