PIA, TPI and SISIP

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: PIA, TPI and SISIP

Post by Guest on Mon 26 May 2014, 17:31

thanks nav appiciate it buds. PIA has allways been for life again I think some may be getting mixed up between ELB and PIA.

Purpose

This policy provides guidance for the administration of the Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA) and the PIA supplement.

Policy

General
1.The PIA was developed to recognize that severe permanent impairment may lead to economic loss with respect to employment potential and career advancement opportunities, and to compensate Canadian Forces (CF) Veterans for these losses.
2.For the purposes of this policy, the increase to the PIA legislated by subsection 38(3) of the Enhanced New Veterans Charter Act, which came into force October 3, 2011, will be described as the "PIA supplement."
3.The PIA and the PIA supplement are taxable, monthly allowances payable for life or until such time as the Veteran no longer meets the eligibility requirements for payment. The amount of PIA payable is based on the extent of the Veteran's permanent and severe impairment and the payment of the PIA supplement is based on whether the Veteran is totally and permanently incapacitated to the extent that prevents the Veteran from performing any occupation that would be considered to be suitable gainful employment.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Wife of a Veteran on Mon 26 May 2014, 20:51

I was informed that EIA was under the pension act and in order to be eligible for that then one must be pensioned at 98% or more. However, if one at a pensioned condition lower than the 98% and is in receipt of PIA, and then their condition worsens as they age they would be unable to switch from PIA to EIA.
At least as I was told.

Wife of a Veteran
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2012-09-28

Back to top Go down

TPI Process with VAC

Post by fuzzman121 on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 17:52

Hi Everyone

New to this forum but a wealth of info on here so thanks to all of you. I am new to ELB which I am now receiving as well as the PIA from VAC. I am in the process of seeing some people VAC sent me to as my case manager also thinks I qualify for the TPI. I am rated over 100 % for my injuries so I am quite limited.  It's quite a long process and was wondering when they are done their assessments etc how long it will actually take VAC to make a determination? I have never had a problem with VAC in the past so just wondering who has been thru this process.

Also, I can be quite stubborn and minimize my injuries as I don't want to be held down by any diagnosis. If I wanted to go back to school and retrain would that impact any of these benefits going forward? BTW I am a 50 year old man and maybe best left to volunteering in some capacity.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

fuzzman121
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 19:56

Fuzzman regarding how long it will take for determination is a hard one to answer, it's suppose to be between 16 to 24 weeks, some have gotten it approved before, while others later.
If your not signed up for my VAC account, I suggest you sign up as this will help you keep track of your benefits.

Your CM thinks you should apply for TPI, that is a good sign as your CM knows your circumstance and can support you in the application.
Also, if you do apply for TPI which I encourage you to do, you can have your CM push for you in speeding up the process.

Others who have recently applied for TPI may be able to give you a better timeline for approval.

Regarding you wanting to go back to school, that is a personal choice, and yes it could affect your benefits down the road.
You can search the forum to find members who have had difficulties in their schooling that affected their benefits.
If your over a 100% in your rated disabilities and are quite limited as stated, the school option may not be the best avenue to pursue. JMO
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5137
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 22:28

If you have all the paperwork for PIA, TPI can be done in a week. Just had mine done, and I asked for the decision myself.
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 11:32

Maybe it was asked before? Q: PIA is for life (read somewhare)... but if you get a job (any job) do they take it away?
Thanks

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 183
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by nemo on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 13:42

Permanent Impairment Allowance
The Permanent Impairment Allowance (PIA) is a taxable, monthly benefit—payable for life. The allowance is provided when your career options have been limited because of a service-related illness or injury.

nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 273
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by nemo on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 13:47

But regarding PIA....is this only for those that got out after 2006? I got out under the old veterans charter and do get SISIP< CPP (D) and a monthly VAC pension. Would I qualify for PIA?

nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 13:53

nemo,

If your not receiving EIA from the PA, you can apply for the PIA.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nemo on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 14:27

So Trooper....if you qualify for SISIP..CPP(D) and monthly VAC pension and not receiving EIA from the PA....is it almost a given that you would get PIA? To me, it would seem I would qualify...but who knows how they work these things.

nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nemo on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 14:28

I mean...what criteria would PIA need that is beyond what SISIP, CPP(D) allowed?

nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 14:44

nemo,

These are the criteria's for both Eligibility and Ineligibility for the PIA:

Eligibility

PIA is payable to a Veteran who:
has one or more physical or mental health problems that are creating a permanent and severe impairment, and
the Veteran has, in respect of each of those health problems,
had an application for rehabilitation services approved; and
received a disability award or a disability pension, or would have received an award or pension but has not as the sum of the Veteran’s assessments and deemed assessments exceeds 100%, or has not received a disability award as the disability has not yet stabilized.
The phrase "has had an application for rehabilitation services approved" will include those cases where the Veteran has already completed a rehabilitation plan. It will also include those cases where it is determined, based on assessment, that the client is totally and permanently incapacitated.

Ineligibility

A Veteran who has received or is receiving an exceptional incapacity allowance under the Pension Act is not eligible to be paid a PIA.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2126#anchor48757

Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nemo on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 14:46

I guess that is why I always resisted ever putting in for PIA. Was never on any rehab and rehab services really are not something that applies to me. I won't be rehabilitated.

nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by nemo on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 14:54

I also think when I look at what their permanent and severe impairment requirements are, I would not qualify. I have all my limbs. They may not work how I would like them to but they are there and I don't need anyone to supervise me nor do I have any psychiatric conditions. I guess I probably looked at that before and said nope....not for me. Questions answered if I read. Wink

nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 15:00

You can go on the rehab program and not go to school or back to work , I did , and I was deemed TPI and got PIA as a result of it. You just have to do what VAC says will qualify you for these benefits and have a neutral case manager.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top