Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

War Veterans Allowance Class Action Information

Go down

War Veterans Allowance Class Action Information

Post by Teentitan on Tue 09 Sep 2014, 10:44

Michel Drapeau Law Office

In association with a large national law firm, we are conducting preliminary research into the claw back for individuals who are in receipt of Earning Loss Benefit (ELB), War Veterans Allowance (WVA) or the CF Income Support (CFIS) Plan since the inception of the New Veterans Charter in 2006. The information gathered may permit us to launch a class action lawsuit to reclaim amounts clawed back by the Government between April 1, 2006 and April, 2012.

At present, we have a significant inventory of individuals whose ELB benefits were claw backed. However we have very little feedback from those receiving WVA or CFIS. We know that at present approx. 2500 war veterans are receiving the WVA and only a handful are receiving the CFIS; yet, we have been unable to make contact with many of them.

** This request is a public call for anyone who is currently receiving War Veterans Allowance to contact our office, to help define the class **

What is WWA? Most of us have probably never heard of the WVA. Briefly stated, the WVA is an income-tested benefit available through VAC. Qualified veterans are provided, through the WVA, with a regular income to meet basic needs. Eligibility is based on wartime service, either as a Veteran or a Merchant Navy Veterans or a Civilian (Survivors and orphans may also qualify.) VWA is payable on a monthly basis, the amount depending on income, family status and number of dependents.

Who qualifies? One may qualify for the WVA if he or she meets the following conditions:

1. Served in either WWII or the Korean War;
2. These veterans are likely NOT in receipt of a CFSA. They also have a rather low income level.

Household income from all sources must be below $42,000.
This includes employment income, rental income, self employment income, CPP, other pension income, EI benefits, dividends on capital gains etc.

Request for assistance. If you or someone you know is receiving the WVA, we request that you contact our office at so that we may arrange a free consultation to discuss.

Thank you, in advance.

192 Somerset West/Ouest Ottawa, Ontario K2P 0J4 Tel: (613) 236-2657 Fax: (613) 236-7476

Toll-Free: 1 866 263-1607
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3312
Location : ontario
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum