A son of a bee. An S.O.B. . . .
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Advocate Keith Neville ordered to stop work with veterans' appeals

Post by Supremedebater on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 22:06

pinger wrote:It's a B Supreme. Throw the shirt out and keep your soul for another... day.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean "it's a b"?

Supremedebater
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2016-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 21:21

It's a B Supreme. Throw the shirt out and keep your soul for another... day.
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Supremedebater on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 13:36

Yup they cut me off benefits for advocating at review and appeals! Been there got the t-shirt.

Supremedebater
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2016-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 16:55

You gotta do it to them, before they do it to you. SOP and old news to me.
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 16:04

thought you might like that.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 15:59

LMAO @ PROPAT

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 15:49

wow pinger marrying a BPA would be a switch . be kinda nice to frack one then always be getting fracked by one .

propat

Last edited by propat on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 16:03; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 14:22

Thankfully, I have never had to deal with vrab and feel really terrible for anyone that has to.
But in my dealings I have luckily had a GP who was somewhat receptive to being spoon fed
VAC's TOD's.

Now short of marrying a BPA (at arms length) Sad , I've always wished for a lawyer that specializes
in VAC AND who is also a highly accredited physician.

I know it sounds nutso, but it always crossed my mind, a professional advocate who speaks both of those languages.
Highly accredited medical and legal in our corner with heart.

Just a pipe dream, ain't illegal, but could still get shot down...

2 cents.
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 10:57

It's nice to see older post resurface..Danny if your referring to my post above..the post was meant to share some of my own experiences that resulted in me having a better understanding as to how things can progress better in a more positive way when dealing with VRAB.
I don't see it as representing yourself per se ..I see as taking certain steps to ensure that those representing you are on the ball an get it right the first time around.
Yes I do say an believe that the Veteran has in my view a role to play also..this to try an lessen the chances of being denied benefits.
In my opinion everything should coincide between the Veteran , the lawyer , an the doctors reports with what is required by the board making the decision in what the board uses for guidelines specific to the case brought forward.
For me , simply just leaving it all up to my lawyer did not work well for me , I was being denied left..right..an center which only made things worse for me in the form of adding stress , frustration an anger which was leading me nowhere.

So the reason for my post was just to share my own experiences that worked for me...hoping that it may also help others as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 06:47

Well how the hell can you do that (advocate for yourself) while being disabled? I haven't called the BPA about my file in over a year because IMO it really doesn't matter.
I am just finding it strange that nothing has moved and everything in my situation seems frozen.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1140
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 15 Jan 2015, 18:25

Just a few words to share here with respect to VRAB and how it worked when I was dealing with them, at least from what I can remember.

From my own experience in dealing with VRAB a few things that I have learned very early on is that the Veteran has to communicate vigorously with the person that is representing them.
In order for the advocate to be successful in your hearing - They must have a sound knowledge of a wide range of medical conditions that applies to Veterans seeking benefits.
They must also be able to provide case facts to the board who is hearing the appeal.
They also must be able to clearly define to the Veteran with accuracy - what exactly is required by the Veteran to produce to the board - IE med docs/info ect......

The Veteran must ask questions to the advocate, and take notes of what is required.

I do think a lot of unsuccessful cases are due to a large part of Veterans having the mindset that their lawyer will look after it, and they leave it up to the lawyer to win their case.
That maybe true to a certain point - but I do think that without the proper communication between both - the outcome rest solely on what the advocate has brought to the table.

It is also up to the Veteran to ensure that the advocate has presented everything that was discussed by both, to the hearing.
If the Veteran feels that the advocate failed in presenting the proper info to the hearing - the Veteran can, and should ask for another advocate to take on the case.

So with respect to the VRAB response about Mr. Neville, one could understand where they are coming from.

I do think that Mr. Neville could play and important role in guiding Veterans into their appeal in directing them - and even be helpful in standing along side the Veteran and the advocate in charge of the case during the hearings.
Nevertheless, now that Mr. Neville has been given the green light to continue advocating, Veterans can now choose him, if they desire.

One other thing I would like to say of what I have noticed during my time in dealing with VRAB - the board members from DVA who hear Veterans cases do follow guidelines in making their decisions - It is extremely important that your advocate has a clear understanding of these guidelines, without a clear understanding, your chances of being successful becomes extremely low, at least that's the way it was for me.

For me I would say that how good your advocate works for you - is depending on how hard you work in ensuring you stay on top of your advocate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 15 Jan 2015, 17:12

well I think its always good to listen to the other side of the story but I do like to examine and take note of where the info is coming from.

now on one side you have this guy who helps vets and accepts nothing more for his time than a can of Pepsi .

on the other side ( now beer with my memory ) a board that when people say frack this system im taking them to civi court and do then have the fortitude and resources to get through all the appeals to the supreme court the board looses every case . hmm so how honest are these guys.

the same board an ombudsman did an investigation and report on. in it he pointed out 65% of the boards denials were done incorrectly .

one of these parties has not proven to me that they can not be trusted but one defiantly has.

im kind of wondering if that competency clause only applies to those representing vets or does it also apply to the board members themselves ??? if not should it?????

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Thu 15 Jan 2015, 16:08

I contacted VRAB to get more information. This is what I received from their communications department.

Providing Mr. Neville agrees in writing to comply with the standards of competent representation (as outlined in the Board's practice note here: http://www.vrab-tacra.gc.ca/Practice-pratique-eng.cfm), he will be able to represent Veterans if they so choose.

The Board was acting in the best interests of Veterans when it communicated last summer with Mr. Neville about issues related to his conduct as a representative. These included:

o failing to provide legible submissions;
o submitting altered documents;
o filing incomplete submissions; and
o taking other actions that hindered the appeal process.

The Board takes very seriously its obligation to provide Veterans with a fair appeal process that ensures their rights are protected. One of the ways it does this is by ensuring that individuals who represent Veterans are competent and capable of putting the best case forward. The practice note is meant to support this.

You should also know that Board has been able to determine that Mr. Neville has represented Veterans (some more than once) at only 10 hearings, with one favourable result. This corrects information about "48 appeals" that has been circulating in the media; it's possible that number included matters outside the Board's program and mandate (which is solely redress for disability benefits decisions made by VAC).

I appreciate you reaching out for the Board's comment in order to provide your readers with a balanced story. Despite the media reports, our goal is to provide a fair appeal process that support Veterans in receiving the benefits they are entitled to for service related disabilities.

Well now we have both sides of the issue.

It is a classic "he said she said" scenario but this is a great opportunity to debate the issue on a balanced approach.

I invited the sender of the information to review the comments that will be posted. Don't know if that will happen but if it does happen it would be good to use the opportunity to learn more about the paperwork involved thru debate.

For example I'd like to know what legal paperwork that has to be prepared? Knowledge of understanding the language in my opinion would help ease my tension, suspicion, and even disdain toward the 'system'.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3304
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top