What is considered to be suitable gainful employment?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is considered to be suitable gainful employment?

Post by Dannypaj on Sun 15 Mar 2015, 16:34

I am pretty sure this is why they want to prioritize the entrance to federal jobs for Veterans.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Re: What is considered to be suitable gainful employment?

Post by Guest on Sun 15 Mar 2015, 18:04

Suitable Gainful Employment
Suitable Gainful Employment means, in relation to a Veteran, employment for which the Veteran is reasonably qualified by reason of education, training or experience and that provides a monthly rate of pay equal to at least 66 and 2/3% of the imputed income of the Veteran.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 07:56

Straight out of the holy VAC policy book, which they have tried to make it easier to understand.  Thank you trooper!  66 and 23%.  What would be the base line dollar amount if I was medically released in 2003, as a one hook AB.  My salary on release was around $36,000 (so it would be around $21,000).  My question is this: Are they using the new $42,000 as thresh hold that no veteran should fall below regardless.  And if upon completion of the transitioning program and you are not gainfully suitably employed , is there any other programs or assistance to keep you above $42,000. Or do they minus the 66 and 23% from the $42,000.

When you get shafted and have another opportunity, Make sure you cover all your angles.  VAC still needs work, but I think the work they are doing is making a difference.
I was pretty broken when I left the CF in 2003.
2015 and I am  still under the care of VAC.  Anyone else who is in the same situation as I am, soldier on!  If the GoC doesn't have our six at least we as Veterans will always have each others six.

It is pretty hard to run a country without the support of a military!
Hopefully they will close all the GAPS.  And let common sense prevail!
Tired of the uncertainty and I am not the only one!
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 08:33

Once you complete your training, and the y take you off the ELB program, VAC offer the CFIS,(Canadian Forces Income Support), which is a monthly benefit that you can collect while searching for work, or even if you can only find a low paying job. The maximum amounts for a married Veteran is $2186.98, and $366.93 for each child. The only downside of this program is that it is the only one that takes the money that your wife earns into account, so if she is a Doctor, for example, you are SOL.

You can read more about it here
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3102
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 08:58

Okay then if they include your spouses salary what is the total house hold income amount? Say he or she earns $50,000 a year what should a veterans CFIS be including three children in the equation?
And thanks bigrex.
I just need peace of mind and I am glad I am actually getting real help on this site. Thanks!
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Mon 16 Mar 2015, 09:47

Well according to the NVC's regulations, they subtract 1/12 of your spouses earnings, and 100% of any benefits that the Veteran receives from ELB or SISIP, OAS, and something that I do not think exists, which is a compassionate award granted by VRAB, for those denied pensions under the PA. Since VRAB has no compassion, I doubt anyone is in receipt of such as award.

So a married veteran with no income, with 3 kids, and a spousal income of $50000, should receive approximately $2940 per month tax free.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 14:26

bigrex wrote:Well according to the NVC's regulations, they subtract 1/12 of your spouses earnings, and 100% of any benefits that the Veteran receives from ELB or SISIP, OAS, and something that I do not think exists, which is a compassionate award granted by VRAB, for those denied pensions under the PA. Since VRAB has no compassion, I doubt anyone is in receipt of such as award.

So a married veteran with no income, with 3 kids, and a spousal income of $50000, should receive approximately $2940 per month tax free.

perhaps you can answer this , as I am new here. I left the military on medical release over a decade ago. It has taken some time for me to find a job that provides enough money for my wife and family.
If the symptoms of my military release were to grow so great that I could no longer hold down my civi job and I turn to VAC for help.
What if the 66 2/3 % of my former pay is below what I currently make? i.e. I left the military in the mid 2000`s as a 4th year CPL.
furthermore, my Wife currently makes more than me.
thanks, any response would be greatly appreciated.
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 15:36

At any point, where you are unable to work due to a recognized medical condition, you can apply for the rehab program, ELB and the PIA/PIAS. I was approved over 6 years after my medical release. So if you are deemed TPI, you can collect full ELB, PIA/PIAS, PA pension, regardless of how much your spouse earns. The only benefit that factors in a spouse's income if the CFIS, but that is only for those that collect ELB while attending retraining, but have a hard time finding employment afterwards.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 15:48

bigrex wrote:At any point, where you are unable to work due to a recognized medical condition, you can apply for the rehab program, ELB and the PIA/PIAS. I was approved over 6 years after my medical release. So if you are deemed TPI, you can collect full ELB, PIA/PIAS, PA pension, regardless of how much your spouse earns. The only benefit that factors in a spouse's income if the CFIS, but that is only for those that collect ELB while attending retraining, but have a hard time finding employment afterwards.
sorry, if I don`t recognize all these terms, ABC, XYZ etc. lol...the only term I learned this week is PIA as my CM told me that even though I am working, I should apply. Some here have "guessed" that I will not be entitled to it as I have a job.
At the end of the day, going forward, my worst fear is losing my job and VAC says I am entitled to this, this and that, and I yet I still can`t make ends meet. Don`t get me wrong, we`re not living high on the hog as it is, even though my wife is making good money, but if PIA/TPI/PIAS/ELB/PA or whatever it is I`m entitled to did not cover my families daily living I`d don`t know what I`d do.
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 16:20

PIA (Permanent Impairment Allowance), which is changing to the CIA (Career Impact Allowance), is not currently tied to level of employment.

PIAS (PIA Supplement) is changing to the CIAS, is paid to those who are no longer employable.

TPI (Total and Permanent Impairment) is changing to DEC (Diminished Earnings Capacity) - which is the determination that the Veteran is no longer employable due to their disability.

ELB (Earnings Loss Benefit) - Pays 90% of pre-release pay while attending school, or if deemed TPI/DEC - will be paid until age 65.

PA (Pension Act), the name of the legislation that covered Veterans injured before 2006.

NVC (New Veterans Charter) - The simplified name for the legislation for Veterans injured after 2006.

So even though you are working, if your disability is severe enough, you should still be able to receive the PIA/CIA, which currently pays a minimum of $599/month, but is taxable. Unfortunately, with the name changes taking place in April, VAC has not released the updated regulations, that would let us know exactly how the newly named benefits will be applied compared to the current ones.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Fri 17 Feb 2017, 17:51

bigrex wrote:PIA (Permanent Impairment Allowance), which is changing to the CIA (Career Impact Allowance), is not currently tied to level of employment.

PIAS (PIA Supplement) is changing to the CIAS, is paid to those who are no longer employable.

TPI (Total and Permanent Impairment) is changing to DEC (Diminished Earnings Capacity) - which is the determination that the Veteran is no longer employable due to their disability.

ELB (Earnings Loss Benefit) - Pays 90% of pre-release pay while attending school, or if deemed TPI/DEC - will be paid until age 65.

PA (Pension Act), the name of the legislation that covered Veterans injured before 2006.

NVC (New Veterans Charter) - The simplified name for the legislation for Veterans injured after 2006.

So even though you are working, if your disability is severe enough, you should still be able to receive the PIA/CIA, which currently pays a minimum of $599/month, but is taxable. Unfortunately, with the name changes taking place in April, VAC has not released the updated regulations, that would let us know exactly how the newly named benefits will be applied compared to the current ones.
Well I don`t know  how long PIA takes to get approved but if it`s before Apr 1 maybe I and others will get "grandfathered" in to whatever new name/program replaces it.Maybe the new rules will only apply to those interested in CIA , April 02/17 onward.? But, I`m prepared to jump through whatever new hoops the GOC imposes to keep food on the table.
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top