Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Critical Injury Benefit (CIB)

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Re: Critical Injury Benefit (CIB)

Post by Guest on Sat 30 May 2015, 08:46

Why make a benefit that has so many exclusions, period. I believe if you are medically unfit that you are losing your job, is that not critical enough! Enough said!

Back to top Go down

Post by Slaket on Sat 30 May 2015, 06:39

Teen,

I don't understand the theory of the amputation above the wrist or ankle? I would think in my eye's that the loss of a foot or hand is "Critical"... And is this related to a the event as instantaneous or can the loss be down the road from complications..?

I know you are looking for constructive input however it is hard to do when one thinks the CIB is shit...

Cheers

Slaket
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2015-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Sat 30 May 2015, 01:14

People this is our opportunity to help create the legislation for future NVC vets.  I know we all want the CIB to be applied to us current vets but this is a chance to help our future vets.

For example I am not happy with the "days" requried for CIB consideration.

We are taught from day 1 in the CF to apply self first aid.  To suck it up buttercup and get back into the game.  In other words a Canadian warriors resiliance to get back into the fight should not be meausred in days.  Rather it should be considred in years.

When we are young we are all young, dumb and full of C***.  Why should we allow a policy for CIB to discriminate the way we are trained as Canadian Warriors.

If time in a hospital or physio is the deciding factor on a benefit a CF soldier has earned then how in the hell would WW1, WWII, Korea, Cosovo, Aghanistan would have been decided?

Canadian soldiers are respected world wide for our fighting spirit and fortitude.  Days layed up in a hospital is what other countries can legislate in their benefits.  

In Canada benefits should be considered and decided 'years' down the road not 'days'.  Just ask Capt. Trevor Green, Mcpl Jody Mitic, Mcpl Paul Franklin if an aspiring could have gotten you back in the fight would you have rejected that aspirin to make sure you got your minimum days in a hospital for the CIB?

HELL NO!!!  Canadians are warriors not days in hospital counters!!!!

Last edited by teentitan on Mon 01 Jun 2015, 11:32; edited 1 time in total
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3313
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

CRITICAL INJURY BENEFIT - FACTORS TO BE CONSIDERED

Post by Teentitan on Fri 29 May 2015, 16:40

I just received this and I am looking for input/opinions/thoughts. Please take this seriously as this is a regulation for the NVC which will affect future veterans. This thread will stay open until Tuesday June 2, 2015 noon Eastern Time. I will then forward the gathered opinion/thoughts/ideas to VAC for consideration for the regulations.

The following factors are to be considered in the determination of whether the impairment and interference in quality of life of the member or Veteran are severe.

These factors were developed based upon expert medical opinion, the findings of an in-depth file review and research of like benefits offered in other jurisdictions. The criteria are supported by the Veterans Affairs Canada Chief Medical Officer/Director General Health Professionals.

For the purposes of determining eligibility for this benefit, applicants who present evidence demonstrating one or more of the following, shall be considered to have suffered severe impairments and severe interference in quality of life:

a) An amputation at or above the wrist or ankle; or

b) Legal blindness (defined as best corrected visual acuity less than or equal to 6/60 [20/200] or less than 20 degrees of visual field remaining) in both eyes that has lasted a minimum of 84 days (12 weeks); or

c) Quadriplegia, paraplegia or hemiplegia or complete paralysis of a limb that has lasted a minimum of 84 days (12 weeks); or

d) Total loss of urinary or bowel function that has lasted a minimum of 84 days (12 weeks); or

e) The immediate requirement for the assistance of at least one person to perform at least 3 activities of daily living (personal hygiene, dressing, eating, transfers/bed mobility, locomotion, or toileting) due to a physical or cognitive impairment(s) that has lasted a minimum of 112 days (16 weeks); or

f) Admission to an intensive care unit that has lasted for a minimum of 10 days; or

g) Admission to a hospital (acute or rehabilitative inpatient care) that has lasted a minimum of 84 days (12 weeks); or

h) Admission to a hospital (acute or rehabilitative inpatient care) that has lasted less than 84 days (12 weeks) that required complex treatment interventions which may include but are not limited to: multiple surgeries, multiple invasive or painful procedures (e.g. treatment of severe burns), prolonged parenteral nutrition, or mechanical ventilation of the lungs.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 08 Apr 2015, 19:11

I wholeheartedly agree Trooper. I've been saying for years that the NVC leaves the mild and moderately disabled Veterans out in the cold. At least with the pension act, that money could make up for the fact of having to take a lower paying job, or having limit your hours.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3267
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 08 Apr 2015, 17:15

On the one hand I am glad to see some improvements for those on the NVC, but on the other hand targeted improvements to certain groups of Veterans may not sit well with some.

It almost looks as if Veterans are in two different groups, the ones on the old pension act are assumed to be set sort a speak, and the ones on the NVC are getting improvements that are based on a wide range of improvements that are targeted to a limited amount of Veterans, for each group of improvements.
Not to mention who will qualify for these new benefits.
As I said before, any improvement to any Veteran is always welcomed, but so far I have not seen anything major that affects
" ALL VETERANS " if the mindset is to continue the path of improving only the NVC, and the improvements are divided in such a way that only provides help to certain Veterans within the NVC, and does not move towards a broader sense of improvements for those Veterans, this I think will not only upset some of those Veterans, it could also make it harder for those Veterans to fit themselves into a certain group that has been part of the improvements, it could also make it harder for those to qualify for these targeted improvements.

I think broader improvements that reflects " ALL VETERANS " would be a better path to take, perhaps I'm a little off on this way of thinking, but it is only my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo on Wed 08 Apr 2015, 15:07

One of the biggest mistakes that the feds made was changing our LTD coverage from life to cease at age 65. The 'lucky' ones got out before the date they changed. At the minimum, people that paid into LTD at the time of the change, should have been grandfathered into payments for life. Bringing back coverage until death would be of benefit to far more people than CIB ever will be.
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by RCNRetired on Wed 08 Apr 2015, 03:03

Lying sacks of dung come to mind is what they are. All this music because they are afraid their pigheadedness may cost them their jobs, so blows smoke up everyone's butt and pow they are such great crooks again.

RCNRetired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by RCNRetired on Wed 08 Apr 2015, 02:48

Well we can cut this thing however one wants but as far as I am concerned we would not be where we find ourselves today if the GOC treated all veterans with respect and dignity and as one. They have so dam many one offs that it confuses the heck out of most. Who knows anymore what entitlement one has because there is so many variables you cannot keep up and me I believe that this is what they are hoping for. Confuse and save and here we are going back to war again.

RCNRetired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv on Sun 05 Apr 2015, 13:03

"Tons of benefits can be brought to the table but it's another to qualify for them" : exactly!
100% with you on that one. The more they deny - bigger bonus for them. At one of the mtgs I asked for 'qualification' of VAC workers and, reluctantly one said that: they are all well qualified with at least BSW. So you had/have/will have 20year olds deciding what is good for an injured/sick/ill/broken VET.

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 04 Apr 2015, 23:02

I am under the NVC only because the military or vac had zero screening in 1997 for ptsd or for that matter other physical ailments. I am only under the NVC because for years I was not normal and finally told I was not normal for over 20 fackin years.Back,Knee hip PTAs under NVC. But wish the buggers found it all earlier. Yet I guarantee even though I ws treated like garbage and a lowlife by my CM, I will not be partial to this new benefit. Yet I am 106% did not get sisip yet considered 100% plus....which 100% should be considered as tpi...yet sisipsays no. Well cib, sisip, and all the other bull lingo amounts to jack squat. Tons of benefits can be brought to the table but it's another to qualify for them. I call bullshit.

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 on Sat 04 Apr 2015, 17:43

Pinger, thanks and you are correct that's the exact word the minister used in the interview i saw my bad Embarassed

And here is the minister's quote from today answering a question on his Facebook page explaining the purpose of the 70k (CIB) " to compensate people who went through surgeries and hospitalizations, but because they made almost full recoveries they received very low Disability Awards (Lump Sums). That is what this targetted benefit will help remedy."

Cheer's
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Wed 01 Apr 2015, 17:15

6608, I like your posts.

Anyhow, you say Another way of looking at it is an incentive for completing rehab and moving on after  if  you can. "  ( my underline).  Recognition seems a better word than an incentive to me.

However... to me absolutely nothing goc or vac has announced recently is worth a hill of beans until it's
 carved in granite. And how does one critique a "possibility" in the meantime? It's as futile as shooting a ghost in the future. 

I hear ya teen... Don't forget still serving members of the CF also qualify for 70k CIB. We should just wait... hard to do sometimes but so is wating for pei. 

Something else. Ottawa and VAC have resources. Math people, stats, extrapolation,
and professionals. Just something to think about...

Stay very well all. Fairest winds. pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1242
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 on Wed 01 Apr 2015, 14:34

The main points to this CIB award is that it applies to post 2006 people, and the member or veterans condition has recovered or improved through rehab to the point where they disqualify themselves from a disability award because they are now medically stable (no permanent disability) theses people were fortunate that there condition improved and could move on, but received no or minimal disability reward for there pain and suffering from the severe incident.

Another way of looking at it is recognition for completing rehab and moving on after if you can.

Cheer’s

Last edited by 6608 on Sat 04 Apr 2015, 17:41; edited 1 time in total
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Wed 01 Apr 2015, 11:06

Don't forget still serving CF personnel also qualify for the $70K. Here is probably one of the best explanations I have heard...

You get shot and you end up going into shock. When you come out of shock you are going to be confused...mad...depressed...frustrated with physio (let's face it who doesn't get frustrated with physio)...but after say 2/3 months you end up with a hell of a scar and some minor discomfort for the rest of your life but you still finish your career to get the CF pension.

So for the 2/3 months of recovery and minor discomfort for the rest of your life the GoC says yeah thanks and here's the CIB to show our appreciation.

Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum