Critical Injury Benefit (CIB)

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Critical Injury Benefit (CIB)

Post by RCNRetired on Wed 08 Apr 2015, 03:03

Lying sacks of dung come to mind is what they are. All this music because they are afraid their pigheadedness may cost them their jobs, so blows smoke up everyone's butt and pow they are such great crooks again.

RCNRetired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2014-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by nemo on Wed 08 Apr 2015, 15:07

One of the biggest mistakes that the feds made was changing our LTD coverage from life to cease at age 65. The 'lucky' ones got out before the date they changed. At the minimum, people that paid into LTD at the time of the change, should have been grandfathered into payments for life. Bringing back coverage until death would be of benefit to far more people than CIB ever will be.

nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Wed 08 Apr 2015, 17:15

On the one hand I am glad to see some improvements for those on the NVC, but on the other hand targeted improvements to certain groups of Veterans may not sit well with some.

It almost looks as if Veterans are in two different groups, the ones on the old pension act are assumed to be set sort a speak, and the ones on the NVC are getting improvements that are based on a wide range of improvements that are targeted to a limited amount of Veterans, for each group of improvements.
Not to mention who will qualify for these new benefits.
As I said before, any improvement to any Veteran is always welcomed, but so far I have not seen anything major that affects
" ALL VETERANS " if the mindset is to continue the path of improving only the NVC, and the improvements are divided in such a way that only provides help to certain Veterans within the NVC, and does not move towards a broader sense of improvements for those Veterans, this I think will not only upset some of those Veterans, it could also make it harder for those Veterans to fit themselves into a certain group that has been part of the improvements, it could also make it harder for those to qualify for these targeted improvements.

I think broader improvements that reflects " ALL VETERANS " would be a better path to take, perhaps I'm a little off on this way of thinking, but it is only my opinion.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4987
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 08 Apr 2015, 19:11

I wholeheartedly agree Trooper. I've been saying for years that the NVC leaves the mild and moderately disabled Veterans out in the cold. At least with the pension act, that money could make up for the fact of having to take a lower paying job, or having limit your hours.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3054
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

CRITICAL INJURY BENEFIT - FACTORS TO BE CONSIDERED

Post by teentitan on Fri 29 May 2015, 16:40

I just received this and I am looking for input/opinions/thoughts. Please take this seriously as this is a regulation for the NVC which will affect future veterans. This thread will stay open until Tuesday June 2, 2015 noon Eastern Time. I will then forward the gathered opinion/thoughts/ideas to VAC for consideration for the regulations.

The following factors are to be considered in the determination of whether the impairment and interference in quality of life of the member or Veteran are severe.

These factors were developed based upon expert medical opinion, the findings of an in-depth file review and research of like benefits offered in other jurisdictions. The criteria are supported by the Veterans Affairs Canada Chief Medical Officer/Director General Health Professionals.

For the purposes of determining eligibility for this benefit, applicants who present evidence demonstrating one or more of the following, shall be considered to have suffered severe impairments and severe interference in quality of life:

a) An amputation at or above the wrist or ankle; or

b) Legal blindness (defined as best corrected visual acuity less than or equal to 6/60 [20/200] or less than 20 degrees of visual field remaining) in both eyes that has lasted a minimum of 84 days (12 weeks); or

c) Quadriplegia, paraplegia or hemiplegia or complete paralysis of a limb that has lasted a minimum of 84 days (12 weeks); or

d) Total loss of urinary or bowel function that has lasted a minimum of 84 days (12 weeks); or

e) The immediate requirement for the assistance of at least one person to perform at least 3 activities of daily living (personal hygiene, dressing, eating, transfers/bed mobility, locomotion, or toileting) due to a physical or cognitive impairment(s) that has lasted a minimum of 112 days (16 weeks); or

f) Admission to an intensive care unit that has lasted for a minimum of 10 days; or

g) Admission to a hospital (acute or rehabilitative inpatient care) that has lasted a minimum of 84 days (12 weeks); or

h) Admission to a hospital (acute or rehabilitative inpatient care) that has lasted less than 84 days (12 weeks) that required complex treatment interventions which may include but are not limited to: multiple surgeries, multiple invasive or painful procedures (e.g. treatment of severe burns), prolonged parenteral nutrition, or mechanical ventilation of the lungs.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3225
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Sat 30 May 2015, 01:14

People this is our opportunity to help create the legislation for future NVC vets.  I know we all want the CIB to be applied to us current vets but this is a chance to help our future vets.

For example I am not happy with the "days" requried for CIB consideration.

We are taught from day 1 in the CF to apply self first aid.  To suck it up buttercup and get back into the game.  In other words a Canadian warriors resiliance to get back into the fight should not be meausred in days.  Rather it should be considred in years.

When we are young we are all young, dumb and full of C***.  Why should we allow a policy for CIB to discriminate the way we are trained as Canadian Warriors.

If time in a hospital or physio is the deciding factor on a benefit a CF soldier has earned then how in the hell would WW1, WWII, Korea, Cosovo, Aghanistan would have been decided?

Canadian soldiers are respected world wide for our fighting spirit and fortitude.  Days layed up in a hospital is what other countries can legislate in their benefits.  

In Canada benefits should be considered and decided 'years' down the road not 'days'.  Just ask Capt. Trevor Green, Mcpl Jody Mitic, Mcpl Paul Franklin if an aspiring could have gotten you back in the fight would you have rejected that aspirin to make sure you got your minimum days in a hospital for the CIB?

HELL NO!!!  Canadians are warriors not days in hospital counters!!!!

Last edited by teentitan on Mon 01 Jun 2015, 11:32; edited 1 time in total
teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Slaket on Sat 30 May 2015, 06:39

Teen,

I don't understand the theory of the amputation above the wrist or ankle? I would think in my eye's that the loss of a foot or hand is "Critical"... And is this related to a the event as instantaneous or can the loss be down the road from complications..?

I know you are looking for constructive input however it is hard to do when one thinks the CIB is shit...

Cheers

Slaket
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2015-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 30 May 2015, 08:46

Why make a benefit that has so many exclusions, period. I believe if you are medically unfit that you are losing your job, is that not critical enough! Enough said!

Back to top Go down

Post by Riddick on Sat 30 May 2015, 09:42

Right off the hop I don't like this teen, for me this raises a huge red flag! Whatever is decided upon and made regulation, they can then point the finger at us and say........."this is what you veterans voiced/wanted". We could be the proverbial scape goat they need.

Secondly: "These factors were developed based upon expert medical opinion", huh.......how many veterans went to VAC and then VRAB and like me, had claims denied. They called the "expert medical opinion" of my 2 doctors uncredible!!!!! arghhh!! so why should their expert medical opinion be any more credible and accepted by us?

What causes moderate pain for one person might be considered severe by another. Everyone's quality of life cannot be considered the same, this is very subjective. Injuries are not so black and white as many injuries cause, create or manifest into other symptoms which invariably affect one's quality of life in a very big way.

I suspect the CIB will be whittled away so again only 1% can be eligible or benefit.

Because an injury like PTSD or back problems etc., is not considered to be an immediate injury, it is critical with life-long debilitating affects with a huge impact on quality of life and families.

The criteria for CIB needs to be much more broad to encompass/include life-long injuries. To measure an injury above the wrist or days in a hospital is ridiculous and ultimately UNFAIR. How about the people that need weekly, bi-weekly or monthly physician, psychiatric or physio?

Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 30 May 2015, 10:15

yup you are absolutely correct teen . this should be solely based on the injury not time spent in this place or that .

we have all seen guys that wouldn't take an hour off for any reason and we have all seen guys that would milk something for all its worth.

only one of these two types of people would receive this under some of these criteria .

injury baced criteria  would be the best way and it seems the did start that way but then the whole thing kinda went sideways .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sat 30 May 2015, 11:29

Teen, I agree that with the required hospital stays, it will drastically reduce the number of people who will qualify, but I think that was the intent. After I had my emergency spinal surgery a few years ago, they discharged me after only 3 days. Even the surgeon said that in the old days, I would have been in the hospital for at least several weeks, and it's not because the surgery is less evasive than before, it's just that they need the bed. And this has become the norm for every hospital across the country.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3054
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Sat 30 May 2015, 12:38

All good points. I too am somewhat baffled that a foot, hand, or some fingers isn't considered to be a CIB.

There is also no mention of disease's like flesh eating, TB that will scar the lungs, sarcoidosis, and exposure to any radiation.

I know a lot of the above can take years to develop but they need to be recorded in a members medical records of any exposure.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Sat 30 May 2015, 16:17

I have a friend who had an IED incident. Has all his body parts, but had other serious injuries. I told him to read these over. He said he didnt think he would qualify. He told me one would almost have to be near death to qualify. VVV..
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 495
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Sat 30 May 2015, 16:56

Overall, I feel this CIB is not good. And certainly not in the above factors to be considered.
Simplifying the variables may help future soldiers. Better yet, throw out the CIB premise, go back to the drawing board. Use common sense without burning time or taxpayers money.

Sure there will be gray area's. But perservering for black and white (benefit of doubt included) is good.

Because frankly, wouldn't most of us find the 10 days, 12 weeks, 16 weeks a bureaucratic nightmare red tape insult?
I would. What about the future guys......

Call it one week I don't know. Bobby has 13 weeks but I only have 11 weeks... Son of a bee!!!

JMO but I feel CIB is just a pre-election house of cards. Might have more validity this Christmas after the election though... pinger.

Last edited by pinger on Sat 30 May 2015, 17:00; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad typo)
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Sat 30 May 2015, 18:22

Johnny I have had many conversations from O'Toole to his staffers, VAC lawyer. They all were speaking the same and not once did any of them mention a soldier has to be near death to qualify for the CIB.

if you could get your friend to contact me via the CSAT Forum Master on the main VVi home page and explain his injuries to me I can pass them along for him without having him to reveal himself.

teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top