PIA

Page 46 of 48 Previous  1 ... 24 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: PIA

Post by sailor964 on Tue 02 Aug 2016, 23:36

Sapper, Veterans Affairs are suppose to set up an assessment time for you to be completed by your doctor and a place of there choosing at a physiotherapist office. Call them to arrange this. Once your doctor completes his part it is then sent in for evaluation. This is what I had to do.
sailor964
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 00:15

OK thanks. I sent out a note to my cm at VAC after hearing "chatter" about this problem of paperwork. I didn't know I still had to do an assessment, after securing the PIA part. No worries here, just a little confusion. Hoping to hear from my cm soon.
Thanks gang for the replies.
Sap

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 12:53

Yes, you need the TPI determination to qualify for extended ELB until 65, and the PIA supplement. And it's better to do it now, because once the PIA and TPI changes take affect next year, only god knows how difficult it will be to get approved.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3047

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 20:16

bigrex , good pt, who knows. Today a bunch of us Vets where having coffee and yacking dva crap. One guy said he heard that the PIA change too two levels will be deleting level 2, and those in 2 will go to 1, and that way 90% of those who are on level 3 will stay there, which will be then be level 2. And only a small % that are now level 1 will stay there.
Then another guy said they where deleting level 3 and all those would move to 2. But I really can't see that, as it would be a crap load of money. But who knows? Has anyone heard another rumor on how the levels will fall? That is also supposed to happen Oct 1.. VVV...
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 21:10

Johnny, I think those are just wild rumours, that came out of the lack of details we have been given. I think something like that would have had to be included in the legislation, because you would need to change the schedule that lists the PIA rates. The PIA changes do not come into force until Apr 2017, but what worries me, is that the legislation supposedly coming into force before October, when the first changes take place, hasn't even been discussed at committee yet. And they are on summer break until Sept 19th, leaving them exactly 10 working days to debate it at committee, have a second reading in the HoC, a debate in the HoC, a vote, and receive royal assent. I know they have a majority, but I just can't see them increasing the ELB on time.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 on Wed 03 Aug 2016, 23:29

Bigrex, the bill has already received royal assent in June on the 22nd what the Libs did was include all of C-12 in bill C-15 the budget implementation bill.............so the proposed veteran changes didn’t get the normal ACVA questioning and was deferred to the finance and defence committees for questioning.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LegisInfo/BillDetails.aspx?Language=E&Mode=1&billId=8196581

Cheers
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 10:19

I understand that the core promises were approved as part of the budget, to set the money aside for the changes, but the actual budget bill was very low on details, and didn't include things like the base rank of the ELB, or the actual new rate table. for the disability award. So therefore bill C-12 should still need to go through the parliamentary process.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 10:49

Bigrex, the base rank of ELB will be changed through the regulations (same as last time) as for the new disability award rate table it is included in bill C-15 from what i see all of bill C-12 is in bill C-15.

Cheers
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Thu 04 Aug 2016, 12:23

Ok, I stand corrected. When I had originally read the budget bill, that part had not been included, or at least I did not see it.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Fri 05 Aug 2016, 08:57

Sapper, while your paperwork is collecting dust in the doctors office refer back to pg. 36 - 37 of this topic esp. 6608.
As nice as my cm is, she didn't mention an O/T report req'd for my pia app... rex did.
So find out what else could be req'd and cover all the bases.
ALSO, if you got older medical reports say 5 years old even if indirectly related to your tpi app. send a copy(s) of that along as well.
Even if they already have it for something else.
Jog their memory.

And at the end of the day, don't be collecting VAC dust bunnies albino . Register mail it to Matane or wherever they tell you.

Just 2 cents
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1158
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 14:44

Curious if anyone's CM didn't tell them about PIA or help them apply for it when they applied for VOC Rehab?
I started VOC Rehab a few years ago and applied for PIA last December, denied in March.
Reason for denial was "No current (within 2 years) evidence, such as a psychiatric/psychological assessment to establish that your condition meets our criteria for a severe and permanent psychiatric condition"
The assessment that I got prior to VocRehab said "client unlikely to achieve suitable gainful employment due to permanent psychological impairment"
No one ever mentioned PIA or EELB, they only said I'm eligible for Voc Rehab...
I had to have my psych say that schooling could possibly help with societal reintegration in order to get Voc Rehab approved.
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 15:14

vet1234 wrote...

"Curious if anyone's CM didn't tell them about . . ." ?

Never ever assume jack shyte vet1234.
I was once in your soup.
Some really good cm's out there. A few bad. Mine gave me the paperwork in person for tpi, e/elb, pia. Was pro-active good.

Bottom line though, be your own best advocate as much as possible.
Never EVER forget that... It served me quite well...

Last edited by pinger on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 15:23; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : memory)
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1158
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 16:35

Vet1234

My CM told me in 2012 that I wouldn't qualify for PIA, so I just said screw it.  However, in January of this year I decided to apply anyway.  I was approved almost 4 months to the date of my application for PIA 3 and according to the paperwork from VAC they went all the way from 2009 to 2015 using reports from my psychologist,  reports from my CM and client notes among other things to approve my application.

I have not as of yet been deemed TPI.  I haven't applied/sought the designation.  I finished VocRehab in December 2014 after being on ELB since December 2008 and have been on CFIS since June 2015.  I've applied to over 100 jobs since June 2015 but no offers. Before that from December 2014 to May 2015 I was volunteering with local NGO's in Kenya and then Nepal.  I was in country in Nepal during the catastrophic earthquake of April 25, 2015 and was evacuated to India by the Canadian Air Force 5 days later.  Needless to say my PTSD symptoms from my Army service were exacerbated by my experience in Nepal.

The most recent document that was used to determine my approved application for PIA was a document that stated almost exactly what I wrote above, that my psychologist wrote to VAC.  This document also was a determining factor in my approval for medical cannabis.

I hope this info helps you and others.  It's rather a lot of personal info, but if it helps I'm ok with that.

bruce72

Omnia mea mecum porto

Last edited by bruce72 on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 16:49; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : corrected dates and spelling and grammar)

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2014-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 16:55

Vet1234 - That is my story also. My CM was way over worked and disorganized at the time. I did not know smick about PIA when I signed up for Voc Rehab, and my cm did not bother to tell me jack. Close to the 2 yr mark, I heard buddys talking of it, and went into Svc Canada and applied. Even after being told by pscy/dr's that I was too fracked to work, and should be TPI'd, my CM said to me "oh if you end up getting CPPD, then I can use this as justification for your TPI. Does that sound backwards or what.. So i applied and got CPPD in 4 mths, called CM up, and then she made me TPI. What a circle of gov redtape. If not for alot of comrades on here, I would have been in the woods with the ruck and my dog..VVV...
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 18:27

I get anxiety just walking into a a VAC office! I have no idea what was included in my PIA application... how did you find out what documents were used? When I asked to find out what was on my application, the 1-800 call center said I needed to make an access to information request. I wasn't involved in the process except for a nurses visit(interview). I recently asked to switch CMs and the local CM team manager suggested I have a meeting with him and my CM after my new Psych evaluation.... Hmmmm if I have issues trusting my CM, the last thing I want is to discuss my case with my CM! Some people just don't get the rightful distrust vets have for the system and it's representatives. Drives me nuts.
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Page 46 of 48 Previous  1 ... 24 ... 45, 46, 47, 48  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum