Pain Clinic?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pain Clinic?

Post by mikswife on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 12:44

Hoping for some feedback on pain clinics. My guy has been referred to one by the surgeon ( who says he wont operate- it wont help). He told him he will have to get used to living with the pain. He mentioned burning the nerves as well, which I think the pain clinic does. His appointment is mid May, but is only the first of 2 mandatory education sessions. Does anyone know if there is still a long wait for us before he gets the nerve burning treatment? He's been off and on Oxy's for years...and now his dr has him on fast release, which makes him deadly ill. if he's not in a cold sweat, he's vomiting. I've left him once. And I am doing my best. I plan to stick this through, whether he hates me at the end or not. He finally has a team helping through DVA. But between us...bahhhhhh. They were nice at first. But since the surgeons report, its all changed. She was kinda nasty on the phone with me when I tried to explain why he has not been making appointments the last 2 weeks, since being sick from meds. I've got my seatbelt buckled. And ready for a bumpy ride. Going into 11 years now that we've been together ( minus the year I left). I haven't been on the site for a while. I hope everyone is well! You were all so kind to me a couple years ago when I was last here.

mikswife
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2013-05-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Pain Clinic?

Post by bigrex on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 13:13

Each pain clinic may try different things. I was sent to one where all it consisted of was lydacaine injections, which had no effect whatsoever. I've also heard of others that use nerve blockers like Gabapenton, or surgically implanted stints. So just as long as you and your husband don't go in thinking that this will be a guaranteed cure for his pain, because if it doesn't work at first, they can still try something else.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3092
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by mikswife on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 13:28

Thanks Bigrex. We already made the mistake of having a lot of faith in the surgeon...so my husband has no faith in anyone again. He was really let down. I have enough hope for both of us..so far lol. They want him to think about trying a pain clinic out of town as well, but he would have to live in a hotel for 10 weeks. I'm not sure his mental health could take that. HIs case manager wasn't too understanding about that though. So we will see how it goes. Maybe I can arrange to commute a few times a week to make sure he's ok. He has not tried the injections yet, at this point, we will try anything for him to get off of the pain killers. after all these years, they have done more damage than good.

mikswife
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrelove on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 13:30

Mikswife, I sent you a PM.

Sabrelove

sabrelove
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2012-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 13:41

Mikswife...I have attended many pain clinics in the past. The education part is a no brainer, visualization therapy is a nice trick of the brain to get to your happy place. The cortisone injections were useless. The injections of cortisone and phenol were good for 3-4 days. The rhizotomy does work until the nerves regenerate(6-8 weeks). They insert needles into your nerves, heat to 80 celsius for a count of 50 seconds per nerve. Quite uncomfortable to say the least. Be careful your hubby doesn't overdo anything after rhizotomy. Those nerves are there to tell your brain important stuff!! Like when to stop certain activities. That is why I wish to go to rehab. Much needed therapy that VAC won't cover because I am not getting better!! Good luck.
Sap

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by mikswife on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 13:43

Thank you sabrelove..I messaged you back.

mikswife
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mikswife on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 13:47

Thanks Sapper. Were hopeful but nervous...our thoughts are with you!

mikswife
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Tue 28 Apr 2015, 21:52

mikswife, I really commend you for what you are doing. Keep your seatbelt tight. I'm in the same boat as your hubby and others.
Minus 5 discs for 30 years and all the pain clinics in between. Got rid of bad pills, bad whisky, and bad wives. No surgeon is going to cut my back until I'm paralyzed. What is my solution? I take it in stride best I can with the pain. Period. Just kinda used to it but it's a son of a bee... and no lol. pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1223
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 29 Apr 2015, 06:55

To many people suffering with no relief in sight. the only thing for sure is he has a damn good women supporting him. i have a spray i use it gives me about 30 min of relief some times an hour it is all natural. It is called redfeather check on line to see where you can get it. give him 4 or 5 good sprayes to the area of pain, within 30 seconds he will start to swear in 5 min he should be ready to get frisky.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak on Wed 29 Apr 2015, 17:16

Looked it up online. Looks interesting. Use caution applying this topical medication. I had absorbine on my low back a while ago...then sweated...ooooh. Could have run an olympic 50 metre dash...had I been able to move!!
Sorry Sap

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 29 Apr 2015, 17:52

LOL no its not as hot as that stuff any part of the body that is stiff and painful it works great been using it for six years now pleasent smell to.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikswife on Wed 29 Apr 2015, 18:40

Might give that a try! although..we tried Lakota..and it burned him he said. Soon as he sweats, it goes through the skin, and ouch!

mikswife
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 29 Apr 2015, 19:12

Never had any thing like that happen this penitrates relaxes the muscles and deadens the nerve pain. you get initial warmth but that goes away.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikswife on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 00:10

Thanks! Can't wait to try it. I'll let u know.

mikswife
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Thu 30 Apr 2015, 21:16

Was curious so I bought some today, the spray. Different ingredients (natural) but the same effect as the tiger balm I've used half my life. Less mucky though.
If I was pickled in it I'd be pain free though. Can you drink it? LOL pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1223
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top