Mother Canada Statue

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some Mother Canada patrons 'unwavering' in support

Post by Riddick on Sat 13 Jun 2015, 13:17

I have to add my 2 cents.

I have a couple of points: It kills me when some topics don't even involve others how they have to get involved, this is like the do-gooders who try to censor what we watch. For me it is a super easy fix.....if you don't like what is on TV or you find it offensive,,,,,change the gall darn channel. Don't try to impose your views/values on me. If you live in B.C. Ont......this does not affect you, you cannot see it from your window, keep your eyes on your own plate.

Secondly who cares who is supporting what. I do not care if you are the Queen of Sheeba or whoever, you are no better than I or the next person, except you may have a louder voice, deeper pockets and more media exposure. Because your name is Peter Mansbridge or an ex PM, doesn't mean you get 999 more votes than the next person or are any more privileged or blessed to be part of a group you are supporting.

With this monument, it is nice when Canadians want to honour and recognize fellow Canadians. If something turns out to be not so well received, it is not like it will ever be a permanent fixture, just look at Target, it cost wayyyyyy more to move. Recognition can be a good thing when it is done with the best of intentions.

Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Mother Canada Statue

Post by Teentitan on Sat 13 Jun 2015, 13:37

Ditto!

I think it is a very important monument for those who paid the supreme sacrifice. It's Canada's way of saying we have not forgotten you.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3271
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Mother Canada Statue

Post by Teentitan on Thu 25 Jun 2015, 12:33

The proposed 30 metre Mother Canada Statue on the Cabot Trail is turning into a negative hot topic. People are saying it destroys the beauty, the privately funded projected is shoving it down Parks Canada's throat. So I was wondering what are CSAT members thoughts?

There is two stories from the Globe and Mail about the issue on the Latest News bulletin board if you want to gather more info.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Thu 25 Jun 2015, 14:32

I honestly like the thought behind it, and if this statue had been proposed immediately after WW2, I don't think anyone would have an issue with it. But now, there are just not enough Canadians that have lost loved ones overseas to truly justify yet another monument, especially one on such a grand scale (the Statue of Liberty is 32 metres from her feet to her head).
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3103
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 25 Jun 2015, 19:24

well I think its a good idea especially since its privately funded I really don't see the controversy. the trail is an incredible spot if you like nature with a lot of relief you could take the trip witch you can do in hours and spend a couple of days at it .

beautiful spot for sure and if they were putting in a coal fired generating station OK id get that but unless the statue is ugly as sin I think its fine .

as for the size I gotta tell ya its either appropriate or to small . if you have ever been there you would know this aint exactly the prairies . if you are putting it up you are doing it for people to see otherwise why do it at all . if the scale of this thing isn't appropriate to be noticed against the backdrop that would be a waste . if you put one say like you would see in your local town the only people that would see it would be those that erected it that's it.

this seems like something that would get some attention from visitors and generate a lot of curiosity and questions . I really think its a good thing . just because a lot of our past heroes are gone doesn't mean we cant remember them in ways like this .

id like to thank those that donated the money and time into this project whether you think its a good idea or bad it seems to me their intentions were completely honourable and well meaning.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Riddick on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 10:00

I think.....if you can't see.......mind your negative business. It's like I mentioned before.......those who love to censor what we watch.....change the gall darn channel and mind your own plate.

I doubt if I or many will ever see it. Some may think it's will be ugly some with think it's ok, and others will be able to see the beauty and what she stands
for.....eye of the beholder!

For those who frequent the area is it really going to affect their life or peaceful state!.........run, bike or walk a little faster that way your eyes will only burn for what 20 seconds! Misery loves company and some people just love to complain for the sake of complaining.

It's like "women in the Field". There were the few who would voice their opinion about the harsh conditions...they wanted this and that and it was the one's that it didn't even affect (like civilian females or a female in the Navy who would never see the field). If it doesn't affect you........keep your cake hole closed.

Just like some journalist.......speaking out his/her opinion if they like it or not....sorry but unless it affects you personally......keep your negative opinion to yourself.

This is not a matter of what is right or wrong.....It is the principle of what she represents and taste.

That's my opinion Smile

Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 11:33

It doesn't matter if the construction is privately funded or not, our money will likely still be used to maintain it. Last year, VAC spent over $300000, helping communities across Canada, to repair their communities war monuments. That is money that could have been used to provide medical treatments or benefits for Veterans who is still living. And those are normally very small monuments, so I can just imagine the costs to upkeep a statue of this size, exposed to all the weather that the North Atlantic can throw at it. it will likely be in the tens of thousands every few years.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3103
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 11:55

Monument maintenance/contributions is capped and budgeted for. So if the wallets get squeezed this is one of the budgets within the VAC budget that get's put on the back burner.

As for this monument as it is in Parks Canada the majority of the maintenance will come from their budget. Parks Canada takes care of all the monuments in Ottawa.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Fri 26 Jun 2015, 12:48

I feel this statue is a good thing. It will complement the Mother Canada statue on Vimy. And at least it ain't an VAC announcement or endeavour.

Yes, it will still need GoC upkeep under Parks Canada or other ministries over time but will it not help that local economy at least a bit in the meantime?

In time memories fail, but not the gravestones or the monuments. pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1232
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 27 Jun 2015, 08:53

When a 93 year old veteran says NO I personally have to respect her opinion it is just a big advertisement billboard for corporations. Use the money to help the homeless or the child prostitutes on our city streets or maybe the elderly.set up a foundation for that under fallen soldiers that would honour their sacrifice more than a target for sea birds to shit on. Just my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Sat 27 Jun 2015, 18:46

I agree with you somewhat wild thing. Bear in mind any GoC upkeep for this monument is at least staying IN Canada and won't be pissed away to China. But maybe I'm wrong? I'd feel better knowing every part of it will be... made and produced 100% in Canada. Kinda like shopping for a new Canadian flag for Canada Day. Be good to read the country of origin for that is the one we live in.

Anyhow... here's a mother link
http://www.baytoday.ca/content/news/national/details.asp?c=80488

Stay well all. You are my peers, pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1232
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 28 Jun 2015, 11:22

valid points for and against but one vet against it doesn't do it for me . yup I respect her opinion but I still have to respect the other still surviving vets as well . I know for a fact that there is a lot of overwhelming support for this amongst other combat vets of the era in this area.

im not saying these combat vets opinions should be the deciding factor as its only a small region in a larger country but I think there opinions should be given equal weight to those that object .

as for the controversy well all you need is a few vets or even one to create a real controversy or at least enough to sell some news peppers.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 12:04

Most of us have lost friends in the service of this country 3 for me and their not forgotten by no means! my point is if you asked them what they would want for their sacrifice a big ass statue or a homeless person maybe a vet off the street. a child saved, food for the hungry what would their answer be. that was the point i was trying to make not dishonor the men and women that paid the ultimate sacrifice but to honor them in a new more positive way with more recognition for their sacrifice that the next generation can relate to. why does it always have to be statues and monuments I think we have enough of them across the country and around the world. 60 million to start in the name of fallen hero's with all their names through out the building. Help the less fortunate that in my opinion is the ultimate way to honor them I will donate to that on a regular basis. the federal goverment will donate to this statue on our behalf on a regular basis if you think not just wait for it. Just trying to explain my view. as a Canadian i have that right at least for now. not trying to push my view down anybody's throat.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 29 Jun 2015, 16:53

buds I fully understand exactly what you are saying and im glad you are saying it . the thing that can become a point of contention to me is the "this or that " point . that is used quite often in matters it really does not need to be used .

ie why by fighters yes we need them but we need arctic patrol vessels more because what we have now just don't cut it.

or visa versa why buy ships yes we need them but we need fighters more as the f-18s or f-15s depending who is speaking lol just don't cut it anymore .

why cant we do both ???????

I realize our GOC officials for the most part cant walk and chew bubble gum at the same time but when they combine their efforts the can and do accomplish more that one thing in the run of a year . yup either for better or WORSE ya I get that but they can still do it.

we all have very different opinion's of where we, others , and the GOC should spend their money I get that as well . I have my own opinion's on that and this project isn't high on my list if on it at all specifically speaking that is . specifically speaking returning vets benefits that have been taken away is number one . the thing is generally speaking id like my, others , and the GOC's money just to be spent in Canada and for the most part this really does seem to satisfy that .

opinions are just that opinions many people may agree or disagree no right or wrong in them just opinion's witch should be expressed . however I do believe there is good and bad opinion's.

a good opinion is one that has been expressed .

a bad opinion is one that hasn't .

JMO

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 30 Jun 2015, 08:59

Teen... it may have good intentions or it maybe corporate big wigs tooting their own horn and cementing their own legacy and using fallen hero's to do so. whose names are going to be on the statue corporate sponsors of coarse. That don't impress me much. Your right Propat everybodys opinion matters and mine is skeptical all of a sudden it smells like rotted fish has washed up on that shore.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top