Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB)

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB)

Post by Riddick on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 21:29

I received multiple letters from the office of the MVA. I would like to believe the MVA took my letters seriously, but after I read it / them, I highly doubt the response I got would be from him........I just can't prove it.

What I did note was that the blue ink signatures were identical as they were signed electronically.

I am posting this because I want everyone to be aware his letters might not be drafted or signed by him even though his name is on the bottom.

It is terrible to be the way I am.......Sanctuary Trauma I suppose..... to protect myself.......I don't trust anyone and I find conspiracies everywhere.

Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 08 Jul 2015, 23:52

Problems arise when benefits legislation leaves things open to interpretation. One possible scenario is a Veteran who is 50 years old this year, is getting a disability pension and PIA, but no longer gets an actual ELB payment because he has been reinstated on SISIP, after the lawsuit. When he turns 65, he could be denied the RISB, because when he turns 65, it is after 2025. And even though he had been approved for EELB at one time, a VAC employee could interpret the fact that he hasn't received an ELB payment, or completed the semi annual medicals, as no longer being eligible.

So, IMO, the only appropriate eligibility wording should say:

- Having turned 65, and
- Entitled to Earning Loss Benefit up to age 65, or
- Entitled to SISIP LTD, up to age 65, if turning 65 after April 1st, 2006, and
- Entitled to a VAC Disability Benefit (disability pension or award).

And another problem, even though the website lists SISIP recipients as being entitled, it is not actually included in the legislation OR the budget. So unless they introduce new legislation, they cannot legally extend RISB to SISIP recipients, especially backdated to 2006. And I thought O'toole talked about extending the RISB to those Veterans who were collecting the CFIS, which also ends at 65, but it is also not in the legislation.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3078
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 09:16

Well it seems VAC changed their minds on the 2025 cut off date for the SISIP people this is what is now posted on their website as of today............interesting

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/financial/retirement-income-security-benefit

Retirement Income Security Benefit
The Retirement Income Security Benefit (RISB) is a monthly taxable benefit.
This benefit tops up a Veteran’s total annual income to at least 70% of what he or she received in financial benefits from VAC before age 65.
Survivors may also be eligible for this benefit.
Eligibility details
Veterans of the Canadian Armed Forces who:
*have reached age 65, and;
*are eligible for a disability benefit, and;
*were eligible for the Earnings Loss Benefit at the age of 65 as a result of being totally and permanently incapacitated, or;
*were eligible for SISIP LTD on or after April 1, 2006.
Survivors:
*who are no longer eligible for Earnings Loss; or
*of Veterans who were eligible for RISB.
What you need before you start
Veterans Affairs Canada will contact Veterans and survivors who appear to be eligible for this benefit.
If you have not been contacted and feel you meet the eligibility criteria, please contact us.

Cheer's
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 10:59

Obviously somebody at VAC was listening to the criticism, and realized that their logic for the cut off date was flawed. The criteria for a disability benefit means that the Veteran would have to be an existing VAC client, regardless if they were getting SISIP or ELB.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 14:44

I had mentioned that to my cm and a day later an April from Charottletown called and said it was an over sight. I replied Never, Ever, Ever do that again! Inform Otoole next time I won't attend his barbecue, !

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 15:39

I'm sorry, but these bureaucrats are paid very good money, to come up with these policy criteria. So if we can spot the glaring problem immediately, they should have been able to see it as well. I mean, they obviously put enough thought into that date, that they were able to explain to teen their reasoning for it, and even said that they had extended to cut off date, at some point. Who knows, maybe the cut off was intentional, and hoped that it would not be caught. After all, if nobody complains, it must mean we accept it, and it costs them less money, in the end.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 11 Jul 2015, 20:03

LMAO yup great thing but they saved themselves a small fortune by changing the language . they added the " AND " after " Having turned 65 " as I hinted in the first post to this thread .
yup that means a lot of fracking people .

kind of sorry I posted that now. frack kinda hopin they would glace over that one .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 18:11

What happened to the turning 65 before July 1, 2025 part? pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1206
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 on Wed 29 Jul 2015, 22:49

Pinger, it appears to be back in the new regulations though:

http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2015/2015-07-29/html/sor-dors197-eng.php

"Retirement income security benefit
The new section of the Regulations entitled “Retirement Income Security Benefit” supports the RISB provisions of the NVC by prescribing information necessary to administer and calculate the benefit.

Given the similarity in benefits between VAC and the Service Income Security Insurance Plan–Long Term Disability (SISIP–LTD), and the fact that some veterans may have chosen to receive their benefit solely through SISIP–LTD, the Regulations provide a RISB eligibility to the SISIP–LTD veterans who have reached 65 years of age on or after April 1, 2006, but before July 1, 2025. The date of July 1, 2025, will provide sufficient time for all current and future CAF veterans to be made aware of the RISB and be enrolled in VAC programs."

I don't really understand their reasoning above. plus SISIP has always been first payer you don't really have a choice even if your getting NVC benefits as well. I was told i was eligible though for ELB but because i was getting SISIP ...........  

Cheer's
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 08:28

Thanks for that link 6608, you post some real gems. Also in that link, it defines very clearly WHAT the prescribed sources are for the purposes of calculating the A/B/C variables, very helpful.

As some of this is geared for those that are SISIP/LTD med. released, myself I was a straight voluntary release shy of 5 years but applied and got approved pdq on DVA's PA books soon after. In the year 2525... oops 2025, I'll miss the July 1 date by months. So as far as RISB goes, I really don't know if I'm very lucky, or very unlucky. Oh well, I always liked newfie steak...  pinger.

Last edited by pinger on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 08:55; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1206
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Thu 30 Jul 2015, 10:24

6608 because you made the application for ELB under the NVC and were denied because of your LTD you automatically qualify for the RISB.

I'm in the same boat as you. Too much LTD but still enrolled in NVC/ELB so I will get the RISB at 65.

So if ANYONE knows a vet only on SISIP/LTD get them to apply for ELB so they get RISB at 65.

Or if you know a CF soldier about to be medically released get them to apply for ELB under the NVC and not just take the LTD/SISIP.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3243
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanette Sullivan on Sat 03 Oct 2015, 11:50

Hello , I am new to this site as I did not have any idea of what was on here or where to go . I have been on LTD (SISIP ) for 15 years . I did apply for VAC but was denied . I went through all the avenues that I knew of but no luck . I gave up because I was getting nowhere and no help . I gave up and did not want to even think about it anymore and that is why I have not been on here . I have been living with my disability for 20 years and it has changed my whole way of life . Anyway I will not get into that right now . Can anyone tell me if I should apply for RISB but as I understand it I will turn 65 in 2026 ? I too am worried because of my LTD being stopped at age 65 . Please can anyone help me ? Really frustrated !

Jeanette Sullivan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2015-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 04 Oct 2015, 11:23

Jeanette, I don't have the answer about RISB but given time someone on CSAT should be able to give some input. Take care.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 04 Oct 2015, 12:00

ya Jeanette im not sure about the dates but will take a look later first they said the cut off date was I THINK 2025 then after much complaining they said they would get rid of the cut off date . then when the legislation went through the fracking cut off date was still there . have no idea if they plan on changing it down the road .

sorry I don't have a better answer will check the dates latter and post it here for you .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sun 04 Oct 2015, 12:09

Jeanettte. Unfortunately, the main criteria for any and all benefits from VAC, is that you have been approved for either a disability pension or award. So at this point, you can hope that the Liberals win, and make ELB, and SISIP for life, or you can submit a new application. I know of a recent case, where the Veteran applied for a pension for his 23 years ago, and it was denied. Last year VAC staff said that he had been screwed, because there had been over 20 instances in his military career where he had complained about his back, following an accident, including being hospitalized. They submitted a new claim, on his behalf, and it was approved. And get this, it was approved as a 15% pension, and backdated three years. VAC claimed that they have started approving claims based on cumulative joint trauma, since his first denial. So depending on what your injury is, you may just get lucky.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top