Kent Hehr pledges to fix “overlooked” and “bungled” treatment of vets

Page 6 of 37 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Kent Hehr pledges to fix “overlooked” and “bungled” treatment of vets

Post by bigrex on Mon 09 Nov 2015, 19:21

He said "review the playbook". In other words, they are going to be looking at how VAC operates, ie: how they make decisions, NOT review the "benefits" themselves, or even the promises that were made. It only makes sense that a new government would want to review how the department handles their business, when you have Veterans complaining that they have been forsaken by VAC, not just not getting enough money. The changes to the benefits were rather cut and dry, for the most part. Disability compensation will be paid as a monthly pension, with the option to take a lump sum instead. ELB is simply increasing the calculations from 75% to 90%, nothing else needs to change with that benefit. The only thing that is up in the air, IMO, is the PIA. They said that they will expand PIA program. What is unclear is if that means getting it to more Veterans, giving more to the Veterans who qualify, or a combination of both.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3078
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 09 Nov 2015, 19:37

The Honourable Kent Hehr, P.C., M.P.
Associate Minister of National Defence, Minister of Veterans Affairs

Parliament Hill:

Department:
Veterans Affairs
66 Slater Street, 14th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0P4
Telephone: 613-996-4649

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Mon 09 Nov 2015, 19:46

Excellent observation there Rex.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5253
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Mon 09 Nov 2015, 20:14

bigrex said " He said "review the playbook. In other words... " I hope your right bigrex, I really do. Time will tell come next spring and next summer.
Thanks for that clear contact info Sparrow. pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1206
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by rucksack031 on Mon 09 Nov 2015, 21:35

As usual great posts, passage of info well appreciated. I was able to pass on to three young soldiers this week-end all still serving, and going through some of the same old crap, many of you have had to endure, they are now a lot more informed because of this Site, Thanks. I have a obligation to help all Vets the best I can , especially when these Three Soldiers are my nephews. I explained that there is lot of young and old dogs like there uncle out there fighting for them so hopefully they wont have to go through what others had to. With that being said, I will sum up with this GET HEHR DONE.
rucksack031
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2012-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 09 Nov 2015, 21:40

well said ruck .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 04:11

NAVRAT- sure could use a prayer to keep the liberal party and our new MVA on the right path how about it buddy don't keep us hanging

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 06:22

ya nav lets here one buds.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 08:11

On a wing and a prayer, Csat needs the Navrat back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 18:26

Rex , looking at the Globe And Mail article once again for the most part when the MVA speaks he seems to be geared towards talking about those Veterans who are returning from "COMBAT"
He also refers to "SUICIDE" but again suicide from soldiers returning from combat.
With respect to the word "REVIEW" he says “We have to review the entire playbook at Veterans Affairs with an eye to the issues surrounding our men and women leaving " COMBAT.”
I agree with you that he does not talk about benefits - or promises were waiting for , but the review in itself seems to be geared only towards those returning from combat , not how VAC conducts their business as a whole.

The only thing the MVA said that would in my view be outside of the Combat , Suicide , Mental Health , and finally the review is this ;

" Mr. Hehr said only that the Liberals will “do what’s necessary to fill our promises” and he would ensure the money that’s necessary is there for former soldiers. "

So for all we know the whole article could very well be about soldiers who return from combat an are at risk for suicide , which I have no problem with that , an again I agree with your post Rex......but this still leaves out the facts behind the details of what they have promised.
It would be nice to hear at least some details about those promises made , like the lifelong pension , this to give us some Idea of where they stand today on it , do they have a plan already in place , are they working on writing the draft , define the lifelong pensions that they promised as it refers to the old pension act.
This is the kind of info that I have been expecting to hear about heading into remembrance day.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 19:26

I'm not trying to stir the pot, but this guy is a civilian. For all we know, he thinks that injuries can only occur from combat. Someone who has never served would not realize just how dangerous a career, and that a great deal of VAC clients were injured during training, or accidents that had nothing to do with combat.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3078
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 20:03

No , not stirring up anything Rex..... some of the tone used thus far may just be pointing in that direction , it is certainly not definite that's for sure as it is still early but what he is speaking about coming out of the gate is something that we all know has been worked on an continues to be worked on even before the Liberals got elected , but again I'm not discounting the importance of that topic , not at all but I think in order for him to give the signal proving his commitment to the promises made his first order of business should have been just that.....he should be out publicly speaking about those promises made , every promised made one by one , their the ones who promised them an I think Veterans want to hear that from him , that I think would put a whole lot of Veterans a bit more at ease.
So until I hear or see him come out publicly addressing those promises I will remain a bit skeptical.....not to cause any panic here it's just that we have been screwed before time an time again , so I think being a little skeptical is warranted here.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 21:05

Agreed. Hehr being new, and the learning curves involved albeit for a civilian. But it's getting late in the day for a political sitrep all things considered. It would have been more than prudent for the new MVA to speak earlier. Why has he not???

How WILL he implement Trudeau's promises on our file? We want to know darn it. Best I can figure, he's getting his ka-ka together. I'll give him that until the end of November. That's cutting him a lot of slack. No matter, I voted Liberal, I hold them and Hehr to (expletive deleted) account!
Nuff said... Let's just stay well and a tad healthy as best we can, first and foremost. pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1206
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 22:14

They have no statistics on medically released vets so all will have to fall under what they do know. Time will tell let's wait and see. Soldier's have done multible tours in afganistan only to come home and die in training or not be able to cope after release and commit suicide it is not in their study but if need be we will remind them that the main problem rests with goc's attitude and penny pinching ways. the only thing we can do is wait and be vigilant. Tomorrow is a day to remember those we lost war time, peace time, suicides, They all deserve honor and respect and anybody who say's different can go to ...
That is my opinion...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 10 Nov 2015, 23:00

Received email back from MVA Hehr today as follows ~ I appreciate that Mr. Hehr responded.

Thank you for the kind message, my friend. The messages of support from this past week have been overwhelming and extraordinarily positive.

I look forward to being able to serve Calgarians and all Canadians in this new role as Minister for Veterans Affairs, along with the position of Association Minister for National Defence. It's a tall order, but I think my team can fill it, Lory.

Now, on the contact front -- my email is kent.hehr@parl.gc.ca. I don't have a phone line set up as of yet and my office is still in transition, so I don't have those particulars to give just yet.

Sincerely,
Kent
Member of Parliament
Calgary Centre

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 37 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top