Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Kent Hehr pledges to fix “overlooked” and “bungled” treatment of vets

Page 6 of 37 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Kent Hehr pledges to fix “overlooked” and “bungled” treatment of vets

Post by prawnstar on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 15:26

I have been in contact with CHEK TV. They are interested in following this story. I suggested they do a follow up next week to keep up the awareness of this issue. Let's hope bigger news outlets pick this up as well.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 15:05

I see an understand where you guy's are coming from...I don't talk a whole lot about my past serving an also sometimes don't like to be reminded by seeing military at times as it too sometimes triggers anxiety for me but not all the time..it sort of comes an goes...for me it also triggers nightmares...opening up the bases for homeless Veterans may not be for every Veteran in need..but I think it's a good Idea for some who wouldn't be bothered by it as teen stated not all are suffering PTSD an military bases could be a good place for those in need to get help in the form of getting pointed in the right direction while being given shelter an meals.
They also should be looking at a control center be it DVA or other government departments to have funds in hand to be able to act in a moments notice to register , shelter , feed any Veteran at anytime , anywhere in Canada.
There's also Veterans out there in need that were not medically released from the service where as in this particular case would have a difficult time getting benefits from the DVA but should still be registered an taken off the streets an given a chance to live a better life.
We owe them that much..an it could make a whole lot of difference in any one of those individuals..give them a chance by giving them a much needed start in turning their life around.
Nevertheless , the Canadian public now knows of this dire situation , an the ball is now rolling to address it..it is all over the news for all to see..that is in my mind a very good start..an I'm sure the media is going follow this until it is properly addressed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 14:29

I suffer the same thing prawnstar seeing a person in uniform a military vehicle going by is a trigger that brings back the torture and ignorance i suffered, va vrab sisip same thing instant hatered then fog. how can you put up a fight when your effected like that, it's like forcing a girl to kiss her raper after the fact during court.

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 13:57

I agree Wild thing. The last place I would want to go is a base. Too many reminders of the past. A friend of mine sees a person in uniform and it triggers him. I think if some vets wish to live in a tent then lets find a safe place for them to "camp" and provide them with proper tents and clothing and food. I'm talking about a wall tent with stove and pots and pans etc. I know there is a veterans housing project in Victoria but that is for people that want to be there. For those poor souls that can't go there lets help them do what they want instead of forcing them to comply with "the man".

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 11:40

That is great for those who can stand to be there i won't step foot on a military base couldn't wait to get away from it. elb mandatory is the answer  and re education and conselling all a person wants to do is go home even if he don't fit in there anymore. Trust and financial stability is most important disabled vets were medically released not retired with a pension. Don't have permission to have ptsd Teen va never said so yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 11:10

When Hehr became the New Minister of Vac, and DND I sent him a email with the Normal congratulatory message, and then
I siad since you are now with Both Departments, why don't you find out what Building / Barracks whatever is what they DND
is calling a surplus item, and have them designated or setup to house Homeless Veterans In, Heck we have lived in these quarters
we know the base rules and regulations, and it will still keep Us within the Military Community so to speak were we would still
feel the commeradarie of the Military, even though we weren't in the Military.

Instead of Living on the streets, and with no one to turn to, feeling lost and abandoned. And since these are surpluses or not used
by DND and are empty why not get veterans in there..

Though I haven't received a response, so we'll have to just wait and see

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 10:47

wild thing not all those vets are ptsd like you. What I was trying to point out is how many are homeless because of VRAB. I had to go to federal court and yeah I was mad but I did not end up with ptsd. Even though I was one of the cases in the Ombudsmans report that there was no need for my case to go to the federal court as I was not given the benefit of doubt as stated in the PA.

The system was very flawed back in the 1990's. Chretien created VRAB and all the VRAB members had to be appointed by a MP. So as exposed by the OVO report VRAB members felt they 'owed' the federal gov't by dennying applications so they would keep their job.

There was a very huge number of vets that were denied and most likely ended up homeless because there was absolutely zero help from VAC to find a job or find alternative financial support. So those are the stats in this report I'd like to know about.

Hehr took very mild shots at the Cons so at least he knows this problem started under the Liberal gov't in the 90's. I just wish he'd get it out of his head that his standard answer of re-opening the 9 DO's and hiring more frontline people will seem to fix this problem.

If the appliction process is still screwed up vets will still end up homeless. What he needs to say is applications are easier and the benefit of the doubt is being applied to applicants with legit injuries.

Remember in the original story it was stated the bureaucracy is the majority of the cause of this problem. So if these new hires go back to the same mindset of the 90's bureaucrats just how helpful is Hehr standard answer?

Also his reference of the provincial SOP's of handling homeless people is complete and utter bullshit! The province did not break us the federal gov't broke us and they are responsible to help us.

When he said that my immediate thought was "They are trying to download us on the province's. Just like they download our health problems on the province's." No responsability taken by the feds.

Throwing $200 million at this problem is not the answer. Open up every base in Canada that if a homeless vet walks up to the front gate looking for shelter then give them 3 hot's and a cot! If they walk up to a CF base then maybe they want help. Start helping them by opening the gate their asses were kicked out of that started their spiral into being homeless. That's how you wisely spend $200 million.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3292
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 05:58

Teen their homeless because they gave mind and body in the service of their country till there was nothing left to give then sisip,va,vrab, goc all ignored them because of the almighty dollar they wer to busy linning their own pockets. It was an abusive time to be physically and mentally released as a disabled veteran. the ignorance and abuse we suffered was right up there in between pow and holucost victims. the only way i can describe it is TORTURE!!! and when it is done to you by your own country you end up with a permanent brain freeze, where do you turn where do you seek help!!! hell ptsd wasn't even in the vocabulary then... there is a name for us,,, the forgotten one's.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 01:02

Does anyone else find the average age of this report is 52?

This is SDA, Peacekeeping era and I have to wonder how many of these vets are homeless because of VRAB?
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3292
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 20:36

Thanks Trooper for those links.

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 19:48

It would be nice to see what they are proposing before the budget is released. It would make waiting all that much more bearable.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3112
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 17:49

His on the move straight from Power & Politics over to CTV 's Power play.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 17:34

Great things happening behind the scenes! The most improvements in vac history are coming! This guy is 100 percent legit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 37 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 21 ... 37  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top