Monthly LTD payments starting in January 2017

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Monthly LTD payments starting in January 2017

Post by bigrex on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 21:13

plus McGinnis Cooper will be looking for their legal fees.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3078
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 21:25

Yes, that's one thing the government should have covered! When I look back it feels like a very dirty thing not covering those legal fees

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 08:09

Legal fees up to May 30 , 2012 , the lawsuit decision date , after that no legal fees.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 08:19

Yes, I agree. Lord knows I argued as much in front of the judge when given the chance. Especially when repayments are having to be made, becuase SISIP will say that someone will be owed X number of dollars (gross amount), but will have 30% withheld for taxes, another 9% taken for legal fees, leaving them with Y amount. But then VAC will want the X amount paid in full. Then the Veteran has to go to CRA and hope that they properly calculate what taxes were actually owed, which can take several months. So unless the majority of SISIP retro is for years prior to getting ELB, some Veterans could actually lose money from winning their appeal.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 08:35

Firebird, I believe what was said was that the legal fees would not be taken from monthly payments going forward. After all, they are lawyers, so they probably wrote some legal loophole somewhere in the fine print that will allow them to do whatever they want, and since the money goes to them first to deduct their fees, what is to keep them from taking fees on the entire lump sum?
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 09:04

I was told by law firm no fees after decision date on money paid. With respect to LTD back pay and ELB repayment I believe that VAC must provide documentation of ELB repayment and CRA will be required to return the income tax taken off of ELB as we are paying the equivalent income taxes on the LTD for the same years or the ELB repayment will be allowed as a income deduction.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top