Veteran Homelessness / Topics & Posted Articles

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Veteran Homelessness / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by prawnstar on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 21:57

I have a contact at OSIS in Vancouver that I just sent the link to this story. He is the one that pulled me out of the ditch a few years ago so I trust he will do the same for this poor guy.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Riddick on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 22:07

Being the devil's advocate I often play......I don't believe VAC should be responsible for every veterans well being.......unless their demise is because of the military....however, having said that....

When I was in the military I recall on many occasions hearing young privates with families needing to use the food bank!!.......Are soldiers any different or better than the general population??? I suppose in some respects there should be double standards or concessions. You need to be 19 yrs old to legally drink.....but frack man....if you are old enough to carry a rifle and fight for your country and give your life then you ARE without question old enough to gall darn drink alcohol.

Not everyone is a financial wizard and knows how to invest money and make it last. Heck I had a lump sum award but when my marriage dissolved guess who got half of it! should VAC cough up what I lost??? Of course not, regardless how awesome that would be.

I have no solution......but IMO VAC can't pay for everything. What is the difference between a Corporal and a Private......a year in some cases and possible a Qualification Level....but does that warrant the big difference in pay that there is?? not IMO.

As for the vets who are down on their luck...hmmmmm.....feed a man fish....feed him for a day....teach him how to fish.....feed him for life. How can one survive without a job when one is no longer able to hold down/qualify get or keep or job. Frig I don't know how many losers are on welfare and are in their 20's.........how come veterans who may have only spent 10 years in the military but sacrificed their life and QOL are not able to get this social assistance........that is what I believe to be wrong with the system......it's a sin that a POS (piece of shat) that is barely old enough to wipe their arse can get money from the government to get an apartment........and food....heat...etc but a veteran does not....what....qualify....give me a frackin break.

Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 22:15

ELB Has to be automatic no ifs and's or but's about it. Also the amount of homeless female vet's sicken's me and pisses me off like i said many months ago some cannot fight for themselves and i was criticized well has your attitudes changed. My wife is the only reason im not in the same boat. It's an injury that is worse then a mangled leg you just cannot fight the only option is quit and give up or implode or explode. I was a hermit for 8 years little to no contact with people had no use for them. explained all this and more to vac in my declaration not in a polite fashion maybe their finally getting it through their policy making thick heads. expect more respect for their situation from fellow vet's. the only ones i ever seen who had an easy go of things had their nose up someones ass.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 22:19

Prawnstar, I also sent a message with the details of Mr. Crossman to VETS Canada Jim Lowther via their website ~ I believe they have volunteers in Victoria who are on the ground and could help as well. Let's hope some positive can come for this Veteran.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 22:25

I just got an email from my OSIS contact and he will initiate action tomorrow. Lets hope this guy gets the help he deserves.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 22:28

That is really wonderful news prawnstar ~ you did a great thing!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 22:29

Thanks Sparrow I feel better now.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Riddick on Wed 06 Jan 2016, 22:34

Prawnstar.......most excellent!!

Many talk the talk but can't walk the walk......thank you for being a kind and caring human being.....Aces man

Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by RCN-Retired on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 00:53

I am glad to hear that this gentleman may be receiving help. I saw the news story today and it just upset me to no end. About 3 months ago a person I know from my serving days indicated on FB that as an advocate for the homeless he found a veteran on the streets of Victoria and queried if anyone could help. Having an empty cabin in the off season I stepped up and have given him a home for the winter at no charge. Regretfully I cannot help all but let's hope that VAC and this new warm fuzzy government we have can also step up to help the rest.
RCN-Retired
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2012-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 06:00

Great job, RCN!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 06:11

Yes RCN your a true Canadian soldier threw and threw. you got honor and respect from me buddy.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar on Thu 07 Jan 2016, 11:35

Well done Navrat.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Ex-ombudsman shocked it took Ottawa so long to track homeless vets

Post by Guest on Sun 10 Jan 2016, 18:28

OTTAWA -- Pat Stogran, Canada's first veterans ombudsman, vividly recalls being hauled into the minister's office one day in late 2008, where an angry, red-faced Greg Thompson -- the veterans minister of the day -- upbraided him for making public the issue of homelessness among ex-soldiers.
It was not an issue, Thompson allegedly told the extra infantry colonel, who had been selected for the watchdog post by a Conservative government eager to demonstrate that it was the best friend of the troops.
The encounter, chronicled in Stogran's book Rude Awakening: The Government's Secret War Against Canada's Veterans, was the beginning of the end of the rapport they'd enjoyed. And it eventually led to the Harper government not renewing Stogran's position in 2010.

Stogran says he tried unsuccessfully throughout his mandate to get the former Conservative government to recognize that homelessness among ex-soldiers was not only an issue, but a growing concern.
"They weren't going to do anything unless they got hit in the head with a hammer," said Stogran, who indicated the reluctance to acknowledge the problem extended to the veterans department as well.
What got him in trouble was the high-profile visits he made to homeless shelters across the country, where in 2009 -- despite being chewed out -- he began asking staff to collect data on whether shelter residents had any military service.
That data didn't make its way into the national registry in a co-ordinated way for five years.
"I'm gob-smacked it took until 2014 for them to actually pick up on it," Stogran said in an interview with The Canadian Press.
Last week, Employment and Social Development Canada released a report to The Canadian Press that estimates 2,250 former soldiers -- about 2.7 per cent of the total homeless population -- use shelters on a regular basis.
Some groups, such as the Royal Canadian Legion, say they believe the estimate is too low and point to the fact that a Legion outreach program has dealt with 425 homeless ex-soldiers in Ontario alone since 2009.
The current veterans ombudsman, who worked for Stogran, says he also recalls the former government balking at the notion that veterans were -- for one reason or another -- ending up on the streets.
"There was some argument with the minister at the time whether it was an issue. Obviously it is," Guy Parent said last week, reacting to the social development report. "Even one homeless veteran is too many."

Thompson was actually quite vocal in dismissing Stogran, telling The Canadian Press in a 2009 interview that his ombudsman produced no evidence of such a problem.
"He's never taken down one name of the homeless veterans that he's met. That is just beyond the pale," he said in May 2009.
"Why hasn't he forwarded those names to Veterans Affairs Canada, knowing full well we have the programs there to help them? Why would he be so insensitive to veterans as to not provide those names? It makes absolutely no sense."
The force of his argument may be somewhat diminished given that 2007 briefing notes, obtained by The Canadian Press under access to information, warned Thompson that the issue was something the Army, Navy and Air Force Veterans in Canada wanted to talk to him about at the organization's annual meeting in May of that year.
"There have been a number of reports over the last year of people identifying themselves as veterans accessing food banks and homeless shelters in Alberta," said the May 10, 2007 note.
A few months after that interview, in November, Thompson introduced a trial outreach program meant to identify ex-soldiers on the streets.
Parent noted that the veterans department is working with an outreach group to combat the problem. And Kent Hehr, the new Liberal minister, told CBC Television's Power n' Politics last week that his ministry is working aggressively to reverse the trend.
But Stogran says the new minister is facing an entrenched bureaucracy that needed as much convincing as the Conservatives.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/ex-ombudsman-shocked-it-took-ottawa-so-long-to-track-homeless-vets-1.2731088

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Mon 11 Jan 2016, 13:48

One homeless Veteran is too many. Thanks for posting this Trooper.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 12 Jan 2016, 06:17

The Lynda Steele Show: Waking up to Canada’s homeless veterans

Earlier this month, Canadians learned that as many as 2,250 the the nations veterans have been forced onto the streets, living in homeless shelters across the country.

But while the revelation came as a shock to many, it was no surprise to retired Col. Pat Stogran, Canada’s former – and first – Veterans Ombudsman.

Stogran fought a long and public battle with the former Conservative government about conditions for Veterans – and began sounding the alarm over this exact issue seven years ago.

He says he first dug in after after a journalist asked him if the problem was an issue here, as it was in the U.S. and U.K.

“I was brand new to the job and I said I don’t know but I’ll get back to you. And when I went to the department to ask the question they basically said we don’t have that problem in Canada, and I thought that was a little bit naive.”

Stogran says he began checking in at homeless shelters across the country as a part of his travelling town halls on veterans issues. He says staff at the facilities quickly confirmed to him that Canada was no different from its allies.
“Oh, I was angry, angry, angry.”

Stogran says the federal government had no appetite to address the issue, going as far as to officially deny it.

“Really, during my three years as Veterans Ombudsman their intransigence was just gobsmacking.”

Stogran says after being repeatedly stonewalled, he “went rogue,” taking his message public.

He says he felt that if the government was prepared to let veterans who had bled for the country suffer, how would they treat ordinary Canadians?

But he says the experience took its toll – more than his tours in Bosinan and Afghan warzones.

“I haven’t felt the effects of trauma as badly as I did coming out of the job as Veterans Ombudsman. I just couldn’t believe having served the country for 30 years our government would knowingly disadvantage our own sons and daughters that had been butchered at behest of the government of the day.”

Positive change?

Stogran says while he found it theraputic to watch Canadians come together and vote for change, the jury is out on whether veterans will get a better deal.

“I have to say I will reserve judgement. I have no faith in the system. None of the mechanisms that have allowed the previous government to run amock have changed. We need genuine reform.”

He says until substantive policies are put in place to force government transparency and accountability, he fears nothing will change.

http://www.cknw.com/2016/01/11/the-lynda-steele-show-homeless-canadian-veterans/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top