Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Injured veterans to get choice over pensions or lump-sum payments

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Injured veterans to get choice over pensions or lump-sum payments

Post by johnny211 on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 14:38

bruce72 - Being in the same boat as you, under both, I also wonder if we take the lump sum top up, will that be VAC's out, for us recieving the life long if there is such a thing..VVV...
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 566
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 14:29

If each "system" has it's own Table of Disabilities therefore legitimizing all the disabilities in both "systems" why can't they just merge both Tables?

The uncertainty, of all of this leaves every veteran in limbo, when we should be getting on with our lives. How can the GoC not see that our lives will never be as they we're before our wounds and injuries and then to have to deal with all of this mess compounds the discomfort in our lives.

Insert cursing here!

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 669
Registration date : 2014-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 13:54

bruce72 you just "highlighted" one of the road blocks that VAC is trying to figure out.....merging a vet with a PA payment and a NVC lumpsum payment.

Each one, PA and NVC, has it's own table of disabilites when calculating injuries. So which one do they use? They have to weigh the pro's and cons of which one will give them the least amount of legal trouble.

This one little issue above is why the 6 vets on the panel have a confidentiality agreement in place.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3289
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 13:47

One thing that is still unclear to me is if a veteran has already been awarded a lump sum (regardless of the top up next year) will they have the option to opt into a monthly pension?
I receive a monthly pension under the PA Act, and have also received a disability award under the NVC. Personally, I'm not interested in a "top up" next year, I'd like a monthly pension in place of the disability award. It would offer me more financial stability along with my existing monthly pension and my PIA Allowance.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 12:37

Everything is a political spin trooper I'm just wondering how much it costs and who's paying? Is it coming out of VAC's budget? PMO?

Here's another thing to consider; these 9 offices are going to take roughly 125-150 people to run. The Libs never really clarified if the 400 he is going to hire is ontop of the 250 that were already being hired before they took office. That said did we just get lied to again about the hires and the benefits for vets? Because it looks like the Libs are only hiring enough to open the offices not take any pressure off existing understaffed DO's.

My CM came to me a few weeks back and I asked her if there has been any extra hires in my DO. She said around 5 CSA's have been hired. She was a transfer from Ottawa for a retiring CM.

I asked her if this is enough and she laughed. They are about 20 staffers short to meet the minimum for the amount of cases in my DO. She also informed me the offices to be re-opened are a priority.

So yeah trooper complete and utterly disgusting political BS spinning. So glad....so f'n glad.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 11:52

Teen I think the reason why they are focusing on the offices is Stimulus spending. Think about it if they were to focus on the lifelong pension only Veterans will benefit. If they re open offices they create jobs and at the same time can say that they have the well being of Veterans and their families. There working backwards on the backs of Veterans. Political Maneuvers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 11:49

well I imagine at first they were trying to find a cheep fair way to do this . so after realizing that would be impossible they are now trying to find a way to spin the cheep way so everyone thinks its fair . soon they will realize that to is impossible so they will go the easier rout and try to find a way to spin the cheep way so civies think its fair . once they get to that point things should move along quite quickly . it will probably start going through the legislative proses the day we get to see it or shortly there after and move through the proses faster than crap through a goose .

watch and shoot .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 11:43

Well trooper reality has set in and Mr. Hehr finds it more self-gratifiying do a cross country tour holding press conferences telling locals that their DO will re-open in 6-12 months.

Maybe we should get some tv camera's and a reporter in VAC HQ so Hehr will not be so lonely.

Sure glad Hehr has his priorities straight. Offices are far more important then finacial security for severly disabled vets!
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 11:37

Minister Kent Hehr says his department is drawing up plans to offer injured ex-soldiers the choice of lump-sum payments or lifetime pensions when they leave the military.

This posted on Jan 20th of this year. What's the hold up?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:26

In the federal government's recent budget, the Liberals promised increased compensation for Canada's most injured veterans — $5.6 billion over six years to cover costs for veterans currently in the system.

The move was seen as an attempt to improve relations with Canada's military members, who had a strained relationship with the previous Conservative government.

The new money, though, will be allocated to veterans with severe physical disabilities, not for soldiers with mental illness like Evans.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/soldier-with-mental-illness-wants-medical-release-1.3527286

I wonder if this means anyone who received a "chump-sum" payment for a mental illness claim under the NVC will be excluded by the proposed "top-up"?.

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Fri 01 Apr 2016, 09:43

This is my opinion why we need the PA returned to us not some generic version where they can control and us and make us jump through hoops, Veterans on PA have the freedom to travel to winter in warmer climates so they can stay a little bit mobile and not have to hibernate. Under these new programs you have to be available or risk being cut off so cabin fever is the only option and unwanted pain and suffering it goes good with OSI. So the only thing that we can except is tax free no strings attached freedom to live the life we earned PA.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 09 Mar 2016, 20:29

I agree with Binrat, that simply spreading the current lump sum over the life of a Veteran would not only be a logistics nightmare, and would require an age cut off, out of neccesity, but it would also be ridiculously unfair towards those who are injured earlier in life.

And all you have to do is look at three veterans, all who live to age 80, to see how unjust a plan like that would be:

-Veteran #1 who 25 yrs old would get a monthly pension of just $540 plus indexing.

-Veteran #2 is 55 yrs old before claiming, would get $1166/month plus indexing.

-Veteran #3 is getting a PA pension (age doesn't matter), and is getting $2695/month, plus additional amounts for dependents, plus indexing.

And that is only if they are all awarded a 100% pension. And heaven forbid a 25 year old get a 5% pension, because it would barely cover a meal a McD's for two people, at $23/mo.

bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3112
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 09 Mar 2016, 20:23

well giving an option of the PA pension is easy so the more they say it is complex or complicated and will take time just shows that is not the rout they are taking .

they now know WE know how this as well .

got a thank you letter from the finance minister today so that tells me the budget is done I,s dotted T,s crossed . probably has been for a while .

so aint nothing gonna change it now . this is the time leeks will happen if any .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 09 Mar 2016, 17:37

In my opinion if that's what they are planning to implement , their going to hold off for years before announcing it.

They will continue to state it's complexity , an say their working on it.

Here's the thing , things have changed over the years an Veterans are much stronger in getting the word out , we no longer rely on the Legion to have our voices heard , it's a new generation of advocates that have every media outlet available at their disposal.
Add the opposition party to the list as well.

In my opinion they will be forced to come out way before it's implemented , to give some details on what they are working on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Wed 09 Mar 2016, 17:36

They could always purchase a lifetime annunity from say Manulife with the lump sum award. Say they increase the max lump sum to one million dollars then that alone could provide the veteran with 4 to 5 thousand a month until death.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top