Injured veterans to get choice over pensions or lump-sum payments

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Injured veterans to get choice over pensions or lump-sum payments

Post by Ex Member on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 16:42

I was told that according to a ctv public poll only 3.9 percent of the population think veterans issues are the most important issue to fix in this budget. I kinda believe it to be honest. I don't believe it's on every Canadians mind!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 16:46

I'm still not going to pass judgement until the budget but if nothing happens , it's over folks . Maybe there's a limit to what the public will fund for injured veterans? I don't know?

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 18:10

Rifleman wrote:Sorry to say trooper I really don't  think anytime in the near future it seems to me he is dabbling in everything that really has nothing to do with vetrans priorities just my thoughts check his Facebook page

I agree with you Rifleman ~ MVA does seem to be extremely busy out in the public arena daily doing appearances and photo ops.  I have not seen any details on his social media  accounts to indicate any push forward with Veteran issues i.e. ELB and Lump Sum. I query how one can be so busy doing the media blitz and still get any work done on the Veteran file. I hope I am wrong.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Wed 09 Mar 2016, 06:57

I can recover....I can heal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMiOp5uvdlo ( Veterans Affairs ? 2016 ?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiOf2HZmLfY (Exactly how it feels to be manhandled out of the CF! No more! Stop the nonsense please!

Mistreatment of Veterans will stop. No more media coverage unless it is positive coverage....enough is enough.  Time change is coming.

Veterans Affairs gets it and the help is coming troops.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat on Wed 09 Mar 2016, 17:04

trooper wrote:I wonder how much progress , if any , has been done thus far on the lifelong pension.

Also I wonder when we will hear a progress report on the lifelong pension.

I dunno how many people noticed this News Update on the VeteranVoice.info news article, but Admin comments are or were this...

"Publisher VVi Comment: Understand that life long pensions that the new MVAC means, are based on existing lump sum, spread out over your life. Accordingly, it is not based off the old formula under the Pension Act. What the MVAC is proposing is the same thing that the Cons were going to introduce before the election. In other words, no change."

Tho, as one say's we have that now you get an award and can take as Lump Sum, partial lump and monthly, and or monthly till Amount runs out.
But how can they take that same Existing lump sum, and turn it into a Life long pension. to do that, they would have to know EXCACTLY how long you are gonna live for, and I don't think there is anyone around who
can tell you exactly the date when your gonna be dead.

But ya is gonna have to be a wait and see, since no one is muttering anything more about it

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 216
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Wed 09 Mar 2016, 17:36

They could always purchase a lifetime annunity from say Manulife with the lump sum award. Say they increase the max lump sum to one million dollars then that alone could provide the veteran with 4 to 5 thousand a month until death.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 09 Mar 2016, 17:37

In my opinion if that's what they are planning to implement , their going to hold off for years before announcing it.

They will continue to state it's complexity , an say their working on it.

Here's the thing , things have changed over the years an Veterans are much stronger in getting the word out , we no longer rely on the Legion to have our voices heard , it's a new generation of advocates that have every media outlet available at their disposal.
Add the opposition party to the list as well.

In my opinion they will be forced to come out way before it's implemented , to give some details on what they are working on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 09 Mar 2016, 20:23

well giving an option of the PA pension is easy so the more they say it is complex or complicated and will take time just shows that is not the rout they are taking .

they now know WE know how this as well .

got a thank you letter from the finance minister today so that tells me the budget is done I,s dotted T,s crossed . probably has been for a while .

so aint nothing gonna change it now . this is the time leeks will happen if any .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 09 Mar 2016, 20:29

I agree with Binrat, that simply spreading the current lump sum over the life of a Veteran would not only be a logistics nightmare, and would require an age cut off, out of neccesity, but it would also be ridiculously unfair towards those who are injured earlier in life.

And all you have to do is look at three veterans, all who live to age 80, to see how unjust a plan like that would be:

-Veteran #1 who 25 yrs old would get a monthly pension of just $540 plus indexing.

-Veteran #2 is 55 yrs old before claiming, would get $1166/month plus indexing.

-Veteran #3 is getting a PA pension (age doesn't matter), and is getting $2695/month, plus additional amounts for dependents, plus indexing.

And that is only if they are all awarded a 100% pension. And heaven forbid a 25 year old get a 5% pension, because it would barely cover a meal a McD's for two people, at $23/mo.

bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3102
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Fri 01 Apr 2016, 09:43

This is my opinion why we need the PA returned to us not some generic version where they can control and us and make us jump through hoops, Veterans on PA have the freedom to travel to winter in warmer climates so they can stay a little bit mobile and not have to hibernate. Under these new programs you have to be available or risk being cut off so cabin fever is the only option and unwanted pain and suffering it goes good with OSI. So the only thing that we can except is tax free no strings attached freedom to live the life we earned PA.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:26

In the federal government's recent budget, the Liberals promised increased compensation for Canada's most injured veterans — $5.6 billion over six years to cover costs for veterans currently in the system.

The move was seen as an attempt to improve relations with Canada's military members, who had a strained relationship with the previous Conservative government.

The new money, though, will be allocated to veterans with severe physical disabilities, not for soldiers with mental illness like Evans.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/soldier-with-mental-illness-wants-medical-release-1.3527286

I wonder if this means anyone who received a "chump-sum" payment for a mental illness claim under the NVC will be excluded by the proposed "top-up"?.

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 658
Registration date : 2014-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 11:37

Minister Kent Hehr says his department is drawing up plans to offer injured ex-soldiers the choice of lump-sum payments or lifetime pensions when they leave the military.

This posted on Jan 20th of this year. What's the hold up?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 11:43

Well trooper reality has set in and Mr. Hehr finds it more self-gratifiying do a cross country tour holding press conferences telling locals that their DO will re-open in 6-12 months.

Maybe we should get some tv camera's and a reporter in VAC HQ so Hehr will not be so lonely.

Sure glad Hehr has his priorities straight. Offices are far more important then finacial security for severly disabled vets!
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3271
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 11:49

well I imagine at first they were trying to find a cheep fair way to do this . so after realizing that would be impossible they are now trying to find a way to spin the cheep way so everyone thinks its fair . soon they will realize that to is impossible so they will go the easier rout and try to find a way to spin the cheep way so civies think its fair . once they get to that point things should move along quite quickly . it will probably start going through the legislative proses the day we get to see it or shortly there after and move through the proses faster than crap through a goose .

watch and shoot .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 11:52

Teen I think the reason why they are focusing on the offices is Stimulus spending. Think about it if they were to focus on the lifelong pension only Veterans will benefit. If they re open offices they create jobs and at the same time can say that they have the well being of Veterans and their families. There working backwards on the backs of Veterans. Political Maneuvers.

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top