Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Injured veterans to get choice over pensions or lump-sum payments

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Injured veterans to get choice over pensions or lump-sum payments

Post by BinRat on Wed 09 Mar 2016, 17:04

trooper wrote:I wonder how much progress , if any , has been done thus far on the lifelong pension.

Also I wonder when we will hear a progress report on the lifelong pension.

I dunno how many people noticed this News Update on the VeteranVoice.info news article, but Admin comments are or were this...

"Publisher VVi Comment: Understand that life long pensions that the new MVAC means, are based on existing lump sum, spread out over your life. Accordingly, it is not based off the old formula under the Pension Act. What the MVAC is proposing is the same thing that the Cons were going to introduce before the election. In other words, no change."

Tho, as one say's we have that now you get an award and can take as Lump Sum, partial lump and monthly, and or monthly till Amount runs out.
But how can they take that same Existing lump sum, and turn it into a Life long pension. to do that, they would have to know EXCACTLY how long you are gonna live for, and I don't think there is anyone around who
can tell you exactly the date when your gonna be dead.

But ya is gonna have to be a wait and see, since no one is muttering anything more about it

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Wed 09 Mar 2016, 06:57

I can recover....I can heal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMiOp5uvdlo ( Veterans Affairs ? 2016 ?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiOf2HZmLfY (Exactly how it feels to be manhandled out of the CF! No more! Stop the nonsense please!

Mistreatment of Veterans will stop. No more media coverage unless it is positive coverage....enough is enough.  Time change is coming.

Veterans Affairs gets it and the help is coming troops.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1122
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 18:10

Rifleman wrote:Sorry to say trooper I really don't  think anytime in the near future it seems to me he is dabbling in everything that really has nothing to do with vetrans priorities just my thoughts check his Facebook page

I agree with you Rifleman ~ MVA does seem to be extremely busy out in the public arena daily doing appearances and photo ops.  I have not seen any details on his social media  accounts to indicate any push forward with Veteran issues i.e. ELB and Lump Sum. I query how one can be so busy doing the media blitz and still get any work done on the Veteran file. I hope I am wrong.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 16:46

I'm still not going to pass judgement until the budget but if nothing happens , it's over folks . Maybe there's a limit to what the public will fund for injured veterans? I don't know?

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 16:42

I was told that according to a ctv public poll only 3.9 percent of the population think veterans issues are the most important issue to fix in this budget. I kinda believe it to be honest. I don't believe it's on every Canadians mind!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 15:39

Sorry to say trooper I really don't think anytime in the near future it seems to me he is dabbling in everything that really has nothing to do with vetrans priorities just my thoughts check his Facebook page

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 05 Mar 2016, 14:57

I wonder how much progress , if any , has been done thus far on the lifelong pension.

Also I wonder when we will hear a progress report on the lifelong pension.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 16:56

Correct Sabrelove ;

"  Before: Upon release or resignation from the CF, members would receive a lump-sum
Severance Pay (Reg Force) or a Reserve Force Retirement Gratuity (Reserve Force),
based on their accumulated years of service.
* What’s New: Severance “accumulation” ceased effective 1 March 2012 for most
members (except for Colonels and above, and Legal officers in the rank of LCol and
above – see Q3 in Q&A.)
What you earned prior to 1 March 2012 is yours to keep, but you will not accumulate
further benefits.
There are exceptions for those being released medically or involuntarily (see Q5). But for
the rest of us, the number of years of service we had prior to 1 March 2102, including
partial years to a lifetime maximum of 30 years, will be the basis for the amount of
money we will receive as a severance benefit. "

More ;

Canadian Forces Severance Pay (CFSP)
6. When a member is released from the CF, how is eligible service for Canadian Forces Severance Pay (CFSP) calculated?

Under the new provisions, all severance benefits will be calculated as seven (7) days of pay for every year of eligible service, including partial years.

If a member releases under certain Items to the table to QR&O article 15.01, such as Item 3(a) or Item 3(b), they will continue to accrue eligible years of service until their date of release to a lifetime maximum of 30 years.

If a member received a payment in lieu (PiL) of a severance benefit prior to their release, their final benefit will be reduced by this amount.

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrelove on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 16:18

Bigrex wrote: "I'm just thinking , because DND is no longer paying severance pay, anyone being medically released and moving back to their home town, will likely need money for down payments etc."

If you are being medically released, you do get your severance pay.  The severance pay stopped accumulating 28 Feb 12 for voluntary releases.   Even if you cashed out your severance, then were medically released, you will be paid from 1 Mar 12 until your medical release date.

Sabrelove

sabrelove
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2012-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 08:50

Trooper, I agree that the initial assessment is usually low, but the average is still 15%, which is around $47000. So I can't see VAC paying that out, as well as the $600/mo in pensions (married with2 kids), for the same injury. But if the Veteran is still working, or even still in uniform, they could choose to take 5 years of that $600/mo, which would be $36000. Or even someone more severely disabled, even say 100% and already being medically released, could choose to take 50% of those 5 years as a lump sum, giving them an immediate $81000 as well as $1350/mo, if they are single. They would also be eligible for ELB and PIA/PIAS, so they would still have financial support until the full monthly pension kicks in after 5 years. This would also be a one time option though, and any subsequent reassessments or additional claims would be paid out as a pension.

I'm just thinking , because DND is no longer paying severance pay, anyone being medically released and moving back to their home town, will likely need money for down payments etc. Chances are they won't have enough in savings, because people can't plan on being medically released, years before their contract is up. I know I was budgeting for savings so I would have enough after 20 years, not 15.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3112

Back to top Go down

Post by Riddick on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 08:14

Currently if someone is receiving a disability under the NVC and has received a lump sum....that lump sum is not a one time deal. If a re-assessment is done and the condition has worsened, they will receive another lump sum.

I do believe there is a two year period before a re-assessment will be allowed. I am not sure/have not heard if there any plans to change either? I just wish they would increase it to make it fair.

Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 22 Jan 2016, 06:04

In my time of applying for benefits it was common to start off with between 5 % an 20 % of approval assessment ...usually 5 % was the starting point unless of course it was severe enough that the percentage would start off much higher.

If they were to look into going back to this particular system...the one time lump sum payment would not be a huge cost as the majority of assessments would be low enough to lower the cost of that one time lump sum payment an if the Veterans condition or conditions were severe enough to get a much higher percentage...well they would deserve the much higher lump sum.

The Veteran could start the process of getting the lifelong pension increased as their condition or conditions worsen over time but the lump sum would not be increased as it would be a one time payment.

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Thu 21 Jan 2016, 20:10

Just a crazy thought.

Riddick, you mentioned earlier " Having cash in hand can allow for things a pension can't. "
Yes... for a young disabled veteran. with family, a car, a divorce, a foreclosure, or bankruptsy.

Let me add, funeral expenses. Or somewhat Quality of End of Life. Not QOL.

Then again, like someone alluded to, we should be able to wipe our own ass.
Yet some can't physically, and frankly others can't mentally take care of stuff...

Just a little 2 cents.

pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1240
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 21 Jan 2016, 18:16

ya like troopers the best but im guessing it would not fly. big rexes is a common sense no cost approach that I see very little downside to . because of the no cost part im thinking the GOC could be convinced to give this a good look sometime down the road .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Thu 21 Jan 2016, 18:08

The thing with my proposal, is it doesn't cost the Government any more money, per Veteran, than if they take just a monthly pension. I like the thought of the lump sum being separate, but the GoC isn't going hand over that much additional money.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3112

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top