Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Claims Percentages legal signatures

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Re: Claims Percentages legal signatures

Post by BinRat on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 12:59

Hey All,
Ya I just went through a similar thing and thought I'd chime in as well.. but 1st I think I missed something or it was a mis-type
Wild you had said..
"received 6% and 5% and 15% for 4 injurys total 26% in 2016 totaling 93kNVC"
6-5-15 for 4 injuries though you only mentioned 3 awards, so was there a 4th award or was that 3 injuries??

But yeah, my case being, I got my tinnitus and told I had got a 6% and I was getting 31K yada yada from my CM when I seen them, and it was like
okay.. and then driving home, My Brain is going hold on sunshine, wait something aint right here, get your sh*t together you can do better math
6% of 100K is 6K, so that 6-12-18K for 300K plus min 50K would be 3K so that's 21K, but I am sure she being my CM said it was 31K
Now how in the hell so ya I ran it through my mind for hour's trying to figure that part out, anyhow seen my CM yesterday and asked her, I said
you told me I'd get 31K, but my head is telling me my math figures 21K, am I missing something..

So we looked at the summary sheet, and My 1st claim under NVC for depression was 22% so yes it was paid at 20%, so now I have 2% in limbo
and if I don't have anymore claims put in, well I lost that 2% of funds.
Now my tinniutus was 6%, so now the 22%, and 6% = 28% which now, I gain 2% because they rounded that up to 30%
Since I was paid 20% last time, and now at 30%, this time for my 6% award +2% that was linguring about made that 8% rounded to 10% payment

So now if we look at your case, based on individual parts...
your 16% award would be payable at 15% and you have that 1% into lingering mode
now you get 21% plus your 1% would make it 22% but it's payable at 20%, so now you have 2% hanging around not paid
now comes your 6% plus your linguring 2% =8% Oooo now they will pay that as a 10% award, and now 0 lingering
and your 5% is paid as 5% no linguring
your 15 is paid same 15% no linguring

So to figure out, total amount you'd have to figure on the MAX at the time of award..so they started in 2006 at a max of 250K
so by sounds of things they were awarded percentage wise of the max at that time
so 15% of 250K max in 2007 should of been 37K
21% or 20% payable in 2007 should of been 50K
your 6% +2% linguering which turns into 10% today at max 310K is 31K
5% award using 310K max is what 15.5K
15% award today 310K max is approx 46K

so yes there seems to be a loss, but again the indexed of the max amount starting at 250K in 06 and now 310Kish today
you 5% award in 06 to 5% award today there is a big difference 12k to 15.5K a difference of 3.5K someone where about

Again your 15% award in 06 is like 37K to 2016 it's 46K a difference of 9K due to the yearly increase of the max amount @100%

Now thats my understanding from what I just went through with my CM to figure out my 6% turns into 31K when max amount was 310K
But, now as for a hearing device, your tinnitus should have gotten you the poc 3 hearing audio, My recommendation from my Audiologist
on her statement she submitted was I needed a Masking device, for tinnitus as I have normal hearing.

I asked my CM about it, as to which way would be best way to approach this, cause if I go to audiologist to get fitted for a masking device
they are gonna ask me all sorts of questions as to make model, dollar value that VAC covers, and I'm gonna go, I dunno with a sad frown on my face
So, it was like, well they can call the 1-866 #, tell them they are a service provide, the call center will transfer them to the Blue cross dweebs, and
from there they can say ya know Were a service provider for (My Name) (My K#) and he is looking at getting a Masking device, can you tell us what
the restrictions and level amount are..

this way they can find out from blue cross themselves as to which model you can get, and the max amount VAC/Blue Cross will cover, which could save
a headache going through and getting fitted for the X model, only to find out Now YOU have to shell out Say $800 out of your pocket cause that was one
model that wasn't covered.
So if they call and find out 1st as to what is and isn't covered and the Max Dollar amount, might make things a little easier, as they all ready know the limits
thats what I plan on doing, cause I don't know all the models, and or prices and or limits vac/blue cross has set, and if they ask Me, Hell I dunno..

Hopefully I was able to maybe make things a bit more clear

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 12:57

Not to worried about that propat have 6 more skelatal documented injuries still to claim for documentation to my file hearing loss and ptsd also don't mean nothing financialy just mentaly csat created a fighting fool.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 12:50

actually wildthing you will only need to get another 5% to get paid for the full 100% as they will round you up for purposes of payment .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 12:45

Thanks for the link danny brain is fried so will get the wife to explain it, propat your bang on with your numbers. bigrex still have 7% left to be 100% is around 24k, have more claims in and more appeals to go and only 7% will be gainful financialy. Teen when faced with lump sum i can tell you right now on this date in my life i am barely mentally responsible enough for lump sum so the  PA has to return and there should not be an option for lump sum under a certain age but maybe a small percentage of a claim in lump sum rest PA so no matter how they do it they better get the spokes put in that wheel and fast as they can.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 12:03

ya teen ya might want to check into that 2% cap buds . I could be wrong but near as I recall that applies to the LTD payments in the PA and NVC not the pain and suffering payments under each.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 11:34

Has it occured to anyone that wildthing has 6 different injuries? Which means 6 different assessments each with their own calculations done by the adjudicator.

Yes there would be COLA but it is all capped at 2% a year for both the NVC and PA. Under the PA it is a small amount a year. With the NVC the 2% is spread out over every body part on the VAC meat chart which is also a small increase.

Like Rex said wildthing until the new lifelong pension is passed it's business as usual. The letter states wether you sign it or not you will get the lump sum. So the signature issue is a moot point. You are going to get the lumpsum.

What should be of concern is this issue is one of the many "spokes" on the wheel that has to be dealt with when the Libs bring back the life long pension. What do we do with vets who have received a lump sum? How do we fold them into lifelong pension?
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3314
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 09:29

ya bigrex they don't exactly do it that way . they do the percentages that way but pay the 30% so they don't pay him the cola for past buyouts .

that amount should be $93113.85 or somewhere around there .

the math is good its the buyout itself that's stinks .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 09:15

hi buds the amounts change every year due to cola for both the NVC buyout and the PA pension .

thing is your PA will increase a little every year so may not be as noticeable . once you get the buyout that's it that's all you will get no COLA adjustments yearly for that . now that you have another buyout 9 years later you do see a noticeable difference for the amount because 9 years of COLA have been applied to the NVC buyout .

so it only looks like they made a big increase to the buyout amount at one time but its just the cumulative effects of 9 years of COLA that's all.

and a buyout is a buyout that's it that's all kind of the way they work pay the guy out as little as they can get away with and be done with him .

so while you will continue to see annual adjustments to your PA pension you will not receive any annual adjustments for buyouts you have already received but they will keep applying annual adjustments to the notional buyout amount annually that would reflect on any future buyouts you may receive .

as for the signature thing I really don't think it matters at all buds . but if you can wait and it worries you a lot I would wait . that amount is that amount . sometimes thou piece of mind is priceless .

as for the herring danny seems to have that covered quite well.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 09:10

Danny, until the Liberals pass the new law, VAC has no choice but to pay lump sums (or the temporary monthly pension, if chosen). Unfortunately, it passes the responsibility to hold onto that money to the Veteran. So hopefully when they do bring in the changes, and VAC asks for that money back, the Vet will have it to give.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3294

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 08:52

1. the lump sums have increased with COLA over the years. You received the initial $89K for the 37% (paid at 35%), but when you were approved for the additional 26%, it brought you up to 63%, which is paid at 65%. As of January, that is $201746, minus any previous payments, leaving $112K. But that leaves almost $20000 unaccounted for, unless there is something that I missed.

2. They shouldn't hold your signature against you, because it really wasn't a choice. To me a temporary pension is worse than a lump sum, because for those 5 years or whatever, you grow accustomed to living a certain way, and then it is gone. And if you are unemployable, you would have no means of replacing that income.

3. If you have an A or B on your old VAC treatment card, under program #3 (Audio services) it should be covered.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3294

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 08:29

1. If they the new GOC is fixing the "system", why are they still sending you a lump sum payment? That was the first thing that pop up in my mind.  
2. Signature or no Signature, I don't  think it matters. They have lawyers with a lot of money, on like us nickel and dimmers, what they say goes and that is the law.
3. http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/1915  

That policy link above describe how they make "links" to conditions and it also provides examples.  I.e. your tinnitus is causing you problems hearing, connecting the two tinnitus "pensioned condition" to "hearing loss" therefore requiring hearing aids as prescribed by a physician or basically however they see fit.  But I really don't know the answer WildThing, easiest thing is to call the 1-800-vac...help, I have a question number.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1152
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Claims Percentages legal signatures

Post by Ex Member on Wed 27 Jan 2016, 05:49

Need some advice on a few things.

1 received 16% and 21% for two injury's total 37% back in 2007 totaling 89kNVC
 received 6% and 5% and 15% for 4 injurys total 26% in 2016 totaling 93kNVC
a difference of 11% when did the percentage amounts change and if so why was it not back dated to the start of the  NVC.  losing 11% financialy from 2007 to 2016 this would not happen under PA. I'm at 30% under it and it just stay's steady and true.

2 they now send a paper to sign stating how do you want paid and you have to sign it, if you don't sign it they will send you a lump sum in so many day's is it best just to wait? don't want my signature to to come back and bite me in the ass if the system changes yet again. In 2007 they just sent a check.

3  Is hearing aid's covered under tinnitus.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4