Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

More than $200M unspent in veterans budget last year

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: More than $200M unspent in veterans budget last year

Post by Guest on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 19:27

Yes there is teen...but there's other places that money could have went...for one.. right back to the Veterans.

When it comes to Veterans with this past government...for the whole time they were in office...the only things they did for Veterans was to cut..take away..fight us in court..an window dress to fool the public into thinking they cared for their Veterans.

But hey..it's only my opinion teen..you know I respect yours.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 19:12

Yeah let's blame it on Harper. Vets from WW2, Korea passing away have nothing to do with the fact there is this amount unspent.

Pull yer head's out of yer backsides folks there are reasons for unspent money that is more then the previous gov't.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3293
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 18:54

The 200 million is of no surprise as we all know where the previous government stood when it came to Veterans...in my opinion it was all about cost saving against Veterans with some window dressing to make it seem as though they had are back...good fracked riddance to them A..holes !!!!

I'm concerned about the Idea of having the decision to decide weather a soldierís injury is attributable to service be made by the military itself...this would go against many medically released Veterans who find themselves in a situation where once their out...civilian physicians would have to aligned themselves with what is stated by the military...rather complete or incomplete...which in my view puts the Veteran at a disadvantage in seeking benefits.
We all know to well that a condition or conditions can worsen once released...it's far better to have the civilian medical professions take the lead in deciding this... as it is the civilians who are responsible for the Veteran after release...not the military.

Back to top Go down

More than $200M unspent in veterans budget last year

Post by sabrelove on Sun 31 Jan 2016, 18:13

sabrelove
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2012-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Newf on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 16:44

Shame on all the managers who received bonuses for doing this to our veterans. And now Harper is bragging about how our country has a surplus. Time to vote out this bunch!
Newf
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2014-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 16 Sep 2015, 19:10

BLOOD MONEY!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Wed 16 Sep 2015, 16:40

It is an eye opener that media and critics don't want to read...reality!
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Wed 16 Sep 2015, 16:16

pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1240
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 09 Dec 2014, 01:03

buds for a very long time now they have been tying to save money by denying benefits . then by reducing benefits , then came the NVC buyout . now by closing buildings and cutting staff . who cuts staff ??? management cuts staff and they ain't cutting themselves . nope the management are collecting big bonuses by cutting others and I am sure that includes VRAB board members that are not always saying NO . now they will hire new ones that will say NO .

there is a lot of money to be made in salaries and bonuses by denying disabled vets benefits or services .

what will they find next ????

look at the numbers of disabled vets from the recent war.

the math doesn't add up not even close.

whatever it is im thinking its pretty big.

thank you for that trooper.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 08 Dec 2014, 18:27

I have just read where the biggest job cuts in Veterans affairs were not backroom cuts, no, some of the biggest were from the disability branch.

That's right folks, some of the biggest cuts were in the disability award branches of DVA.

Reports stretching back to 2009 show that roughly 897 positions have been eliminated across Veterans Affairs, with 33% coming out of the section that administers pensions and awards.

Thereís a direct connection between the job cuts, the auditor generalís complaints about benefit application wait times and the $1.13-billion in budget allocations that have gone unspent since 2006, says the opposition.

I was not kidding when I said there's more to come, we have Veterans and the opposition who continues to dig deep into this, what will they find next ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Thu 04 Dec 2014, 17:51

Totally agree with you trooper! Totally agree
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 04 Dec 2014, 17:44

Teen,

I think when it comes to Veterans, even if there were no programs that lost any funding, Veterans fund should always be exempt from any such % slush fund.

Any money left over should be put right back in our budget, over and above the numbers of the following budget.

This way we could achieve a surplus over time, and use those funds when needed.

JMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Thu 04 Dec 2014, 16:30

OK I have been digging around on this subject and this is what I have found out about "surplus budget" money

It is standard practice for all gov't departments to 'over budget' by up to 5% every year. Here is a link to all the departments that gave back their budget surplus

http://www.tpsgc-pwgsc.gc.ca/recgen/cpc-pac/2014/vol2/intro-eng.html

When you open the above link pick a department and go the the Ministry Summary and look for "Lapsed" column

Now I know in the old days when we served the end of the fiscal year or March Madness we spent to keep our budget at the same amount.

Well when it comes to overall budgeting for the department the 5% rule comes into play.

If the department spends any of this money they have to justify it down to the last penny why they spent it.

In other words it's a "slush" fund where the gov't can tap into it for on the spot "donations" "emergency spending" and creating a huge surplus of cash to balance the books before an election.

So VAC did not short change any program and it's funding.

FYI the lapsed spending slush fund totalled $18 Billion (give or take a half billion).

Does this number sound familiar to anyone?

About 3 weeks ago Harper said they have balanced the books with an $18 billion cash infusion at a photo op.

The office closures, staff reduction was from an announcement 3 years ago from then Finance Minister Flaherty that ALL departments will slash their real budget by 5%. So VAC closed down bricks and mortar (VAC offices) which helped the staff reduction and natural attrition of staff were not filled and they shifted people around to get to their 5%.

To my knowledge and conversations no programs lost any funding.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Mon 24 Nov 2014, 19:19

Please read this... sharp summary I found recently...
http://thechronicleherald.ca/editorials/1252579-editorial-ottawa-awol-on-vet-budget

Harper was in London today. About a comprehensive tech NRC moneyspending pr photo thing.
On my a.m.radio he said Canada has the best veterans support in the WORLD ???
The HoC had a rebuttal to that today alright... I cannnot find the links.

Harper and Fantino are far beyond damage control and the best pr won't help.
Is Joe Cdn listening, more lately yes.
Is Joe Cdn going to remember next year? Enter more spindoctors.

But is Joe Cdn even going to vote to begin with...? jmo. pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Thu 20 Nov 2014, 21:27

Yes, †their feeling the pressure alright. One only needs a tally sheet of all the negative incidents (debacles) under Fantino's watch in the last year.
They feel the pressure because they know the average Canadian is picking up on it.
That said, I can feel my blood boil and blood pressure go up when I read about another one.

" On Tuesday, Stoffer put a pointed question about the lapsed funds to Fantino, who answered by tallying up the government's total spending on the veteran's department -- roughly $30 billion since 2006.
"It means improved rehabilitation for Canadian veterans," Fantino said. "It means more counselling for veterans' families. It means more money for veterans' higher education and retraining. It means we care deeply about our veterans."
But that didn't answer the question of why so much of the budget has been allowed to lapse, said Stoffer, noting that the overall budget of the department is something the government is committed to under the law."

Now I don't have a transcript but how in blazes does unused lapsed funding equate to improvements?
More like sugarcoating a failure for an answer. But wait! There's more!...

" Veterans Affairs statement to CTV News: ...
Veterans Affairs must have sufficient resources to meet the forecasted need, resulting in a few percent overage that if unused is reinvested into the following years budgetary process. " Well, what came first? The horse, the cart, or ... greed?

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/over-1-1-billion-in-unspent-funds-at-veterans-affairs-since-2006-documents-1.2110024#ixzz3JfLBn0Ep

Fair winds, pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top