Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

News Report ~ Canada not ready for peacekeeping missions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: News Report ~ Canada not ready for peacekeeping missions

Post by Guest on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 13:59

Rags..I agree an your comments are well written..I am French an take no offense whatsoever in what you said..no recruitment whatsoever when it comes to our armed forces should be done on language diversity..in my view It should always be done on the merits of what each individual holds..regardless of being French/English or both.

Back to top Go down

Post by czerv on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 10:50

Rags, right on. My two cents: same sh*t happens today. I asked for French course (the year long one) and was told to do it on my own (while seeing others from my 'branch' getting on one without any problems). My problem was that I was one of the few who could do my job. And, there is only a handful left (though the 'trade' is full - political thing). Others are getting a free ride on our backs. Even better, if you belong/claim a certain sexual orientation your climb to the top is secured. I know it sounds complicated but .... that is the reality in my former trade.
Cheers

czerv
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags on Wed 03 Feb 2016, 08:22

Walter Dorn has no clue what he is talking about. Every assumption he makes in his teachings and articles are based on his flawed understanding of why the Canadian Military does and did as part of a wide range of variable missions. His totally misunderstood thoughts on Somalia are a perfect start point to show his ignorance of why things happened and what it meant.
In a nut shell the Cole's notes on Canadas military on missions is, that we are Canadian so we have middle ground view of politics we are not right wing nor left wing, that gives us good perspective and no emotion when viewing fundamentalist idiot governments or rebels. Furthermore in the 80,s and 90s were a well balanced well trained middle ground force with good mechanized warfare skill set in other words "We Had Mass". Mass and skill gives us the ability to fight and also look like we can fight that edge lets us negotiate when its required which makes us good at peace stabilization operations. The modern Canadian Military lacks mass and and balance and after a decade of hanging to close to US military politics have lost are neutral edge.

All our Canadian military failures and poor showings over past 30 years....and we had poor showings everywhere compared to what we could have done has been a direct result of poor leadership. Poor leadership is a direct result of the Officer recruitment system were we demanded a 50/50 balance of French to english...This will hurt hold on .......when you take 50% of the officer corp and fill it by picking from 19% of the population you stop recruiting from the top you need to go far down the merit list to recruit. Then once you have your recruited officer corp and find out that 50 50 will not correct the imbalance fast enough so the officer corp is actually full 50 50 and of that corp all are bilingual you get even less quality. Some years in early 80s officer corp recruitment was of ever 100 officers recruited 80% were french hi went on for years. So if your only recruiting a handful of english officers per year from a Canadian population of 81% you get top people. When you then fill the void with 80 officers recruited from 19% of the country guess what you have? Now through one more variable in...in the 90s make it a policy to give extra promotion points on merit list to officers with french profile. Now you are promoting from even fewer quality people. Now the last and final insult to the office corp in the late 90s add another policy and only promote bilingual officers past the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. That policy and officer corp recruitment is why we have such poor leadership today and why at ever review we can look at out military failures and see a common thread of poor leadership at the command level. Now I will through one more item which is not provable as the above statements are but it is easily plausible. Of those really few good English officers that were recruited in the 80s....did they rise to the top? no they did not cause the application you apply as a leader when recruiting is to bring along with you like minded similar people who are not quiet as good as you. Thus senior french officers who are the problem in the forces wrote promotion recommendations n the weaker English offers and the rock solid English officers never rose above LCol unless by pure rare accident. When they did get up there they shown but were quickly shut down and side lines to desk jobs that made them move on to civilian life.

Walter Dorn needs to shack his dopy head and rethink what he says.

Not intended to hurt the feelings of our french friends as there are a few shinning starts in that group also....just not as many.

Rags

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 13:11

Navrat wrote:I like peace! War is bad , very bad!

Your inner hippie is showing Navrat!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 10:31

I like peace! War is bad , very bad!

Back to top Go down

News Report ~ Canada not ready for peacekeeping missions

Post by Ex Member on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 09:21

OTTAWA The Trudeau government has promised to get Canada back into the peacekeeping business, but a new report from two independent think tanks says the military is ill-prepared for the task.

The study by the Rideau Institute and the Centre for Policy Alternatives was penned by Walter Dorn, a professor at the Canadian Forces Staff College and one of Canada's leading experts in peacekeeping.

For the last decade, he says, the army has specialized in counter-insurgency warfare because of the combat mission in Kandahar and other skill sets once second nature to Canadian training were relegated to the back burner.

Dorn says the complexities of modern peace operations require in-depth training and education, on subjects including the procedures, capabilities and limitations of the United Nations.

He says Canada is currently far behind other nations in its readiness to support the United Nations and train for modern peacekeeping.

"Special skills, separate from those learned in Afghanistan and warfare training, would need to be (re)learned, including skills in negotiation, conflict management and resolution, as well as an understanding of UN procedures and past peacekeeping missions," said the report.

"Particularly important is learning effective co-operation with the non-military components of modern peacekeeping operations, including police, civil affairs personnel and humanitarians, as well as UN agencies, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and the local actors engaged in building a viable peace."

The focus of training at both the Canadian Forces Commnd College in Toronto and the army staff college in Kingston, Ont., is on "taking part in 'alliance' or NATO-style operations," Dorn concluded.

"At the higher (national security) level, the case studies and exercises on peacekeeping were dropped."

Both Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan have said rather than sending a lot of soldiers, Canada can contribute equipment and expertise, such as commanders and headquarters contingents. But Dorn says the military regime provides less than a quarter of the peracekeeping instruction it did a decade ago.

The report recommends the reinstatement and updating of the many training programmes and exercises that have been cut, and introducing new instruction that reflects the increasing complexity of modern peace operations.

"Canadian soldiers have served as superb peacekeepers in the past and can do so again, with some preparation," the report says.

Following the Somalia scandal of the mid-1990s in which a teenager was tortured and killed at the hands of Canadian soldiers, National Defence recognized the need for specialized training. It was implemented with success between 1995 and 2005, when the army went into Kandahar.

Dorn says while the number of personnel deployed in the field by the United Nations is now at an all-time high of more than 125,000, the number of Canadian soldiers involved in those operations has dwindled to an all-time low of 29 as of Dec. 31, 2015.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/canada-not-ready-for-peacekeeping-missions/ar-BBp10jo?ocid=spartandhp

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top