Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Legion

Post by MSDwyer on Tue 09 Nov 2010, 06:55

Cal.......I am, as always, in agreement with the responses I have received regarding the Legion and it's (in)ability to help. The problem, as I see it lies in the Legions lack of empathy to its Veteran's. I understand your analogies. The more that the Legion becomes overtaken by civilian leaders, the more the effectiveness of the organization becomes watered down. I personally would never become a member - and I certainly would not want to be involved in an organization that allows racism to be displayed inside the doors. Your letter displays anger - and justifiably so..........but how are YOU doing?

MSDwyer
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-09-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by birdgunner on Thu 18 Nov 2010, 09:28

Here is my letter of resignation and turn-in of membership card to the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 42 Selkirk. I have applied to and been received by a different organization The Army Air Force Navy, who showed up in force for the CVNDOP 2010.

I did copy portions of RB's letter to the RCL, sorry for the part plagairism!!!

Mr. Chad Edmonds, CD
629 Clandeboye Ave.
Selkirk MB
R1A 0X9

November 17th 2010

Royal Canadian Legion
Selkirk Branch 42
403 Eveline St.
Selkirk MB
R1A 1N8

Non-support Canadian Veterans National Day of Protest-Resignation

Royal Canadian Legion Branch 42,

It is disappointing that the Royal Canadian legion must stand behind the decision it has made. Many Veterans and Legion members were counting on the Royal Canadian Legions support, even if it was only with word, to allow them to attend this protest knowing the organization that we belong to stands behind them and beside our Veterans.

The support requested was meant to allow the Royal Canadian Legion the flexibility to take a stand without it going against it's own constitution. By once again stating that the Royal Canadian Legion does not support the Canadian Veterans National Day Of Protest can only be defined as supporting the Government of Canada.

By standing by and allowing illegal practices by Veterans Affairs Canada regarding the privacy act, the endorsement of Manulife Financial even though they are the key culprit in the SISIP clawback, allowing the Government of Canada to clawback pensions, and now the open non-support of the Canadian Veterans National Day of Protest, a protest of Veterans who have had enough. I can only conclude that the Royal Canadian legion is no longer the Veterans advocate organization I believed I had joined.

One can only look at current membership numbers to know what is occuring at Royal Canadian Legions across Canada. It is no longer the place for Veterans but in a sense a union hall catering to the “old boys club”. The current executive of Royal Canadian Legion Selkirk Brach 42 is a prime example of Associate members taking over the ranks within the Royal Canadian Legion. One executive member is an actual Veteran, which is on par with the membership numbers across Canada, 370,000 members of which only 70,000 are Veterans.
This does not give the Royal Canadian Legion automatic privelige to say they are the voice and representation of Veterans, I would say Veteran Voice is more of a “voice for the Veteran” than the Royal Canadian Legion and with a current membership well over 110,000 and growing. Veterans have found a new home.

It is imparative that the Royal Canadian Legion change it's attitude immediately and stand side by side with all Veterans. Without new memberships coming in and a revolt bulding how is the Royal Canadian Legion going to attract actual Veterans for their membership numbers? In the month of October Royal Canadian Legion Selkirk Branch 42 welcomed three new Associate members and another 19 members who I believe are Associate members. So where are the Ordinary members? By continuosly allowing non-Veterans to access the sacred halls only shows how out-of-touch they really are.

Therefore, I wish to inform the Royal Canadian Legion Selkirk Branch 42 I am resigning as a member of the Royal Canadian Legion effective 18 November 2010. I will, at this time, ask any other Legion members who feel the same betrayal do likewise.

Good luck in the future. I wish only the best for our Veterans and pray one day the organization known as the Royal Canadian Legion never views 6th November 2010 as the day that began their downfall.

Lest We Forget.

Chad C Edmonds, CD
Membership No.- Ordinary 7749880
Selkirk MB
birdgunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-01-10

http://jets.nhl.com

Back to top Go down

Legion Outraged Over Fees being Charged

Post by teentitan on Tue 15 May 2012, 22:52

Ottawa – It has come to The Royal Canadian Legion’s attention that some unscrupulous people are charging fees to disabled veterans to help them complete disability claims. To make matters worse they are also making arrangements to take a percentage of the disability award when it is granted.

This must stop, immediately. While veterans are free to have anyone they desire help them with disability claims, they should not be charged for this service. We are also concerned that some veterans may be uninformed about assistance that is also readily available free of charge.

The Royal Canadian Legion is well suited to help identify and complete disability claims for veterans for free. For more than 80 years, we have provided exemplary and outstanding services to our veterans, including our serving members in the CF, the RCMP and their families free of charge – and these people do not have to be Legion members.

As we prepare to commemorate the sacrifices and accomplishments our veterans made for this country during the Battle of Vimy Ridge some 95 years ago, Canadians should remember the immense debt of gratitude we still owe our veterans. Any veteran or family member can call 1-877-534-4666 or visit our website www.legion.ca for free assistance with your Veterans Affairs Canada Disability Application. It is only just that they receive this service for free.

Patricia (Pat) Varga
Dominion President
Ottawa

http://legion.ca/News/12_April02_e.cfm

teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3238
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Legion Survey

Post by teentitan on Sun 12 May 2013, 13:39

I encourage everyone to go to the link and do the survey

http://legionmagazine.com/en/index.php/veterans-benefits-survey/

The more info the Legion has the louder their voice will be.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Legion Chief Gordon Moore slams Ottawa

Post by Ex Member on Tue 08 Oct 2013, 12:03

I taught this could be a good read for all of you.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/legion-chief-slams-ottawa-claim-not-bound-longstanding-223613859.html

Widow of Veteran

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Tue 08 Oct 2013, 13:19

Harper even pisses the legion off!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags on Mon 25 Nov 2013, 09:34

Gordon Moore was in a position of power in the legion when the charter was acclaimed. What did he do then? Too little too late.
The fix is simple but the politicians cant seem to see it...out of ignorance spite or what I dont know. There was a problem with the old system and instead of fixing the issue they created a whole new mess. How they get out of it I dont know they appear to have gone to far.

Never make a complaint without a solution so its simple.
1. Go back to old system and tighten up the rules on who can claim and when. While serving and after retirement as in old days.
2. Fix SISIP so it works as it was supposed to....lawsuit kinda pointed that out to them. All those non battle DVA claims go where they should back to SISIP.

Rags

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:12

Rags Moore was the the Dominion Command President in 2006.

All the vomit coming out of Fantino's mouth about 'consulting' with veteran orgs, veterans, MP's is what I said...vomit!

VAC talked to 6 veteran orgs one at a time. Each group was briefed about the NVC then ordered to sign a letter of confidentiality that they would not even share the info with their own members.

The Liberal VAC Minister Albino Guarnierri at the time dropped the purely bureaucratic creation called the NVC on the table on the flight to Normandy back in 05' for all the Politicians to read. That would have been the Bloc, PC and NDP. That was it for consultation with the politicians.

Then Paul Martin ordered Senator Romeo Dellaire to literally run it through the Senate.

It was passed on the floor of the HOC with not one single feckn' word of debate!

This was the single biggest con pulled by Ottawa bureaucrats in history. The aim was to reduce payments and increase rehab training. So every MP that sat in there seats and kept their yap's shut are to blame for the NVC.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Mon 25 Nov 2013, 11:39

It's about money , it's always about money, and no GOC wants to spend it

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Mon 25 Nov 2013, 14:43

If they had only improved the PA, instead of replacing it, then most Veterans would be satisfied. This way we would still have the monthly pension, completely dismantle the restrictive SISIP policy and replace it with the ELB program (so every Veteran can becomes a VAC client, and not just if injured), and loosen the restrictions on EIA to fall in line with the new PIA guidelines, or replace it altogether.

This way, VAC controls all the support programs for disabled and non-disabled Veterans in Canada, and has appropriate levels of support, or tiers for each.

Tier 1 - Veteran (ELB)
Tier 2 - Veteran with severe disability (EELB)
Tier 3 - Veteran with service related disability (PA pension + ELB/EELB)
Tier 4 - Veteran with severe service related disability (PA pension + EELB + PIA)

After all, the department is called Veterans Affairs, not Disabled Veterans Affairs, so for Veterans not be be classified as VAC clients solely for the fact that they were never injured during their career, is shameful IMO.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3073
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags on Mon 25 Nov 2013, 16:29

Teen
 He was also Comd of senior legion in Ontario before that and on Ontario command. He had power back then. But I agree it was rammed through and it does spew loads of Vomit.
 Bigrex thats tweaking the current system just trash it go back to way it was 1998 and make SISIP work.
All good points and I hate to say it but Navs right to:) ....it is about the money.

Rags

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbieRoyal on Mon 02 Dec 2013, 06:31

Oh yes the same Albina that declared 2005 as The Year of The Vet, don't tell me she was tagging Romeo because that would have been the only way he would have been convinced to screw us over, or he really is facked up in the head and should be in no position to speak or present anything pertinent to the HOC in regards to Veterans Charters or the NDA concerning disabilities, conflict of interest or what. Gotta love the Mafia I mean the Politicians in this HOOD I mean Country, feeling dyslectsic today.
RobbieRoyal
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Mon 02 Dec 2013, 07:48

Rags, the NVC does have some good programs, to augment the PA pension, not replace it. The ELB program is better than SISIP for the simple reason that it can be approved at any time, not just within the first 2 years after the release.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3073
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbieRoyal on Mon 02 Dec 2013, 08:41

Albina Guarnieri, PC, MP is a former politician. She was a member of Paul Martin's Liberal government and was Canada's 24th Minister of Veterans, she wrote the New Veterans Charter. The Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act better known as the “New Veterans Charter,” was assented to on 13 May 2005 and came into force on 1 April 2006. The Charter sets out a new benefit plan for injured, disabled and deceased veterans and provides for professional physical rehabilitation for veterans and their families. It supersedes the previous plan, which was governed by the Pension Act the first version of which was passed in 1919.

Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire,OC CMM GOQ MSC CD is a Canadian senator, humanitarian, author and retired general.
“May 05 2005”
I am proud to be part of this historic and timely decision by our government in support of Canada's veterans. I believe the New Veterans Charter is essential for the morale of our Canadian Forces and I look forward to it being enacted.
RobbieRoyal
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Mon 02 Dec 2013, 15:36

Hey Robbie you only read about I actually met her. It was a "year of the veteran" meeting at my District Office. I asked her one question about the SISIP and she turned on me and said she does not respond to men like me who speak with a 'tone'.
Well that did not sit well with the WW2 vets. Especially the guy I joked around with about hoping around Normandy with his left leg over his shoulder for two days. He just out barked out "Hey all you are bringing to this table is the meat! Where's the damn potatoes?!"
She went straight into apologetic mode, spoke with great respect and admiration. Hoppy (the nickname I gave him) looked at me winked and said "Now answer that young fella's question".
The rest of the WW2 vets "hear, hear" and "yeah answer his question".
She was livid! She answered my question and I could actuall see her neck turning red.
As for Romeo he was ordered to "hold the Senate's hand" rifle them thru the NVC and get it passed.
He was at the great introduction of the NVC in Ottawa. The only thing missing from the dog and pony show was doves! The audience was made up of the following...
WW2, Korea vets.
Elsie Wayne (NB MP) had her cadets unit flown in from St. John.
And the CDS and his staff.
Right after Romeo did his Master of Ceremony routine he ran down the hall to the CBC setup and started talking about the Rawanda genecide! The reporter tried to get him to talk about the NVC but he didn't answer one damn question.
Two days later the CDS is in Edmonton giving the good luck speech to the troops heading to Afghanistan. Boy wouldn't it have been a better idea to introduce the NVC then??? NO let's do it with vets in the crowd who it does not apply to. Kids who got a free trip to Ottawa and staff of various MP's.
Funny thing about all this Romeo is now starting to say the NVC is not good for the vets. Especially the seriously injured ones. Great job walking it thru the Senate Romeo!!
That's my rant for the day. LOL
teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top