Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by Guest on Fri 24 Feb 2017, 10:11

buds doesn't really matter what words you use we are all vets buds so whatever words you use WE ALL understand EXACTLY what you are saying.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Fri 24 Feb 2017, 13:13

Impersonating a veteran should carry a minimum sentence of a year in prison, with no time off for good behaviour and upon release the guilty individual should have to perform community service with a veterans group one day a week for one year.

This punishment should deter most idiots from attempting to garner attention and admiration from the community for falsely representing themselves and diminishing the sacrifice that bona-fide veterans and their families make.

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 651
Registration date : 2014-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 14:16

bruce72 wrote:Impersonating a veteran should carry a minimum sentence of a year in prison, with no time off for good behaviour and upon release the guilty individual should have to perform community service with a veterans group one day a week for one year.

This punishment should deter most idiots from attempting to garner attention and admiration from the community for falsely representing themselves and diminishing the sacrifice that bona-fide veterans and their families make.
not regular prison Detention Barracks Edmonton , lol, they want to be soldiers so much they can learn to do drill in jail Very Happy
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 14:45

Artie Simm , awesome idea..never spent time there, but did a tour once, that was enough to not want to stay..lol
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Miramichi legion branch becomes 'Club 10' to stay viable

Post by Trooper on Tue 07 Mar 2017, 06:53

Miramichi legion branch becomes 'Club 10' to stay viable

Smaller, cheaper spot will be used for concerts and bar, helping legion to stay afloat

By Bridget Yard, CBC News Posted: Mar 07, 2017 6:00 AM AT Last Updated: Mar 07, 2017 6:00 AM AT

Peter Murphy, Branch 10 president, says the new location has helped the organization in Newcastle cut costs.

Miramichi's Royal Canadian Legion Branch 10 has changed its name, moved in above the Goody Shop restaurant in Newcastle and adopted a new outlook on legion-run events.

"This is more of a bar atmosphere than you would usually see in a legion and we have changed our name to Club 10," said Peter Murphy, branch president.

"It has more appeal to the public. We're exploring new types of entertainment to improve the business side of things which we really need right now."

'This is a new lease on life for us.'
- Peter Murphy, Branch 10 president

The legion sold its old building 10 years ago and leased one of three floors from the new owner after organizers realized they could no longer keep up with the bills.

Peter Murphy stands beside pictures of Branch 10's old building, first sold to a developer, then leased by the legion for 10 years.

When the lease expired, Branch 10 decided to cut costs even further by moving to a smaller space.

"This is a new lease on life for us," said Murphy.

Club 10, located at 20 Fountain Head Lane, above the Goody Shop on the downtown square, has already hosted several concerts and operates as a bar.

"That's what we have to do," Murphy said. "We raise money through our poppy campaign but it all goes back to services for veterans. We can't use that money to operate our facilities."

Elsewhere in New Brunswick, other legion branches have struggled to keep their doors open and some are trying to find buyers for their buildings.

In Bathurst, the Branch 18 building has been for sale for over a year and the asking price has dropped. In Dalhousie, the Branch 17 building is up for sale.

"The number of veterans is dropping but there are still a considerable number," said Murphy.

The legion has offered different categories of memberships: for veterans, veterans' families and affiliates, or people who don't fall into the first two groups.

Branch 10 still supports several nursing homes and the local hospital where veterans receive care.

But because of the shrinking number of elderly veterans paying legion memberships and the less active interest from younger veterans, the traditional funding model had to be re-examined, Murphy said.

Response from legion members to the changes has been positive, so far.

"Everybody that has come in, they like the atmosphere," said Murphy. "It's much brighter than the old place."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/miramichi-legion-club-10-1.4011470
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5519
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 07 Mar 2017, 08:57

The Legion is dying, and these are signs of it's death throes. There almost as many Legion branches, as there are actual Veterans who attend them. So I think it's time the the GoC start looking at other groups to administer the poppy fund and Veterans plates, and let the legion die in peace.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3093
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 09:47

Maybe a good step to recruit members in my home province. But I have too wonder if it's way past it's time.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-legion-veterans-search-1.4015794
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Sooke legion in financial crisis

Post by Trooper on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 21:04

Sooke legion in financial crisis

by Octavian Lacatusu - Sooke News Mirror
Sooke posted Mar 11, 2017 at 10:00 AM

Sooke Legion Branch 54 president Jan Watson points towards the building’s ancient heat pump that will cost tens of thousands of dollars to replace.

The Sooke Royal Canadian Legion is in a bit of financial trouble and now after decades of helping vets and the local community, it’s now turning to the community itself for help.

“We’re broke,” said Paul McTavish, Sooke Legion branch manager, adding the legion has nearly zero operating funds, which means paying bills and staff every month is now a significant challenge.

Sooke’s branch 54 has seen similar swings like this in the past, where its operating needs well surpassed what it brought in at the end of the day. Ironic, as last year alone, $42,000 went through the Legion to various community groups, noted the branch’s secretary Merle Fulton.

Only, the Legion doesn’t keep any of it, as it is technically the community’s money.

Fulton said one of the main issues is the stodgy public perception that all legions across Canada are desperately trying to get away from.

“People think veterans come to drink and smoke, and it’s this dark place, and you can’t come and you can’t be involved ... that is not what we are. We want the community to come, hold their events here, come support us, we support you.”

Just recently, the legion held a beer and burger night to support the Sooke Skating Club, as well a similar event and silent auction to raise funds for the Sooke Royal Marine Search and Rescue. It also supports the cadets, Sooke Youth Choir, even Thai Chi classes, among many others.

Problem is, there’s no money coming in to support the Sooke Legion itself, kind of like that kid on the block who gives his lunch away to every other kid on the street, but has none for himself to eat.

Majority of its membership funds don’t stay here either, as each legion only keeps 20 per cent of the $60 fees. In addition, if someone does make a donation, a local branch cannot provide a tax receipt, unless it’s for the Poppy Fund, and none of that goes to a legion branch anyway.

The candle is burning on both ends as well, as said repair bills are starting to mount due to the building’s age, noted branch president Jan Watson.

“We have rather large repair bills coming up, and that’s taking any sort of cushion that we’ve got, because we need to put it back into the building,” she said.

In the last four years, the plumbing downstairs failed, causing three major leaks, the water heater blew, ice machine was dripping on electrical equipment, and the heat pump requires major work and needs replacing, among others. Last Christmas, the heating broke down, causing thousands in repairs.

It goes without saying that, Watson added, if the local branch goes under, the negative impact on the Sooke community could be significant.

“The Cadets will have to find someplace else, the Navy League, Thai Chi, Jazzercize, everybody.”

“We’re big supporters of the community. Now we’re saying, please come and support us,” she said. “We need your help to keep our doors open. If our doors close, we can’t help the vets, or anyone.”

http://www.sookenewsmirror.com/news/415696574.html
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5519
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 21:15

Well this is a new low....trying to make the community feel guilty.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3266
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Sat 11 Mar 2017, 22:47

She said they only keep 20 percent of the 60.00 membership fee. Time for the fat cats at the legion HQ to show everyone the books. I would say the legion is slowly fading into the sunset.. Johnny, Out..VVV...
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bosn181 on Sun 12 Mar 2017, 08:40

i would like to know how many of there members are vets i am sure there can't be to many and i agree with teentitan trying to make the community feel guilty if they looking for compassion from me the military did not issue it to me so i have none

bosn181
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2017-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Sun 12 Mar 2017, 12:12

Bosn 181 - that's a awesome line, and so true "they looking for compassion from me the military did not issue it to me so i have none"
Lol. Johnny Out.VVV...
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo on Sun 12 Mar 2017, 12:57

Legion was not welcoming to me as a woman in the military when I joined in 79. And it was not welcoming to anyone that was not a WW2 veteran. The Legions were once useful decades ago. But the fact that so many are closing or in financial difficulties shows that the Legions are just not relevant to newer veterans. Maybe it is time for the Legions to close all their places...unless they actually make money. And then just have one office that they operate out of.
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Sun 12 Mar 2017, 14:00

Probably more awkward for you nemo, but I concur the same darn thing as a guy after I joined in 78.
Very cold stares and not felt welcome... never went back. Was it my haircut? They should just close and not be replaced. Heck, the fleet club was a much better riot for me lol.

But perhaps some of their service officers (screened) could complement the 400 new VaC hires/cm's that need training...
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1225
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo on Sun 12 Mar 2017, 15:57

Sometimes people just have to accept that things are slipping away and put a stop to it before it completely dies out. The Legion is in a death spiral and the best thing to do would be shut it down. I am sure some newer more relevant organization could be formed that could take over the some of the good things the Legion does. Is the average day modern veteran actually interested in a bricks and mortar drinking hole? Don't think so.
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top