Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Royal Canadian Legion / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by johnny211 on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 18:50

propat - You took the words out of my mouth... I have a story that ended with me throwing my legion suit in the garbage can. Some of you may remember the Vandoo, retired Cpl Vet, with ptsd and other issues that went on a hunger strike in front of DVA HQ. At the time, I stayed with him for the entire 2 wks or more that it dragged on. During this time there was alot of Canadian press, and local press on the issue. And alot of Island Vets, as well as local folks supported his cause.
Except for the one place that you would think would show support, our local legion, which was about 2 blocks from where we where camped out. Not one rep from the Legion came by to show there support, or even put a piece in the paper backing the fight. It even went as far as one day a bus full of legion folks held a pde, a stones throw from us. They turned there backs to us. At the time all of us Vets where pissed at the Legion. And at the end of the hunger strike I broke ties, with those thoughtless F___s.. Thanks feel better now, breathe,, VVV...
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 19:04

wow johnny that was really crappy of them but Ive here'd this stuff a few times . I actually remember quite a duzie a while back from someone here . it was in Halifax and the legion actually wanted to throw the vet out of his own church because he was handing out info about a rally or something in support of the SISIP lawsuit . might have been bigrex not sure . thing is they do have some real bad actors .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 19:04

Legion is just a drinking club for the old boys from WWII or Korea. Even the ww2 guys with their E.G.O. medals(everybody gets one)that never left Canada look down upon the younger generation of vets. I was on my VAC disability, wife working fulltime, our 2.5 year old went into heart failure. The doctors said we had to get to Toronto Sick Kids immediately as heart failure was imminent. Flight one way from Kenora to Toronto-$1300 each. Hotel downtown TO $150/night. Asked legion poppy fund to help. They said no. I inquired about alternative funding programs for vets and they replied "you are no Veteran". I was more hurt than angry. Family kicked in for our fares, and we slept on the floor in the Surgical unit for 8 days. The staff gave us the extra meals from the patients. And popsicles too. Our son survived and is now 22. I have not renewed my membership for the past 20 years. I am just that f---ing mad. Let them die a slow death if they wish. I will not resuscitate.
Sobered Sapper Simmering Slowly

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 19:09

yup sapp sounds like that good ol legion we know and love . no photo op no support .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 19:11

What bug's me as he stated all the advocacy groups with their hands out for a piece of the pie including the legion. Is this pie being taken off the plates of disabled veterans, would like to know this how much are all these groups costing our budget. The waste is mind boggling and head spitting I bet.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 19:23

WOW Sapper that sucks i'm sure there are young vet's that are still going through the same crap. would like to see the financials for the poppy fund that drive has to bring in a crap load of money. I'm sure there is sticky finger syndrome going on there.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 19:34

All the old ones are gone or near gone! Most of the legion I go to , mostly reserves and a lot screwed over. It kinda reminds me of the mess it gives me a little time to have a few, laugh and remember the good ole days ! The WW1 vets were saying the same thing about the WW2 vets and the WW2 vets said the same about Korea and Cyprus etc! The thing is we veterans have to take these places back, there meant for us and we need a place to chill out and feel back in uniform. Our legion has helped a lot of widows , more than I can say, a lot goes on behind closed doors. Do I like the civilians , female, bring em in by the truck load! Male civilians, well whoses going to mix the drinks? Gotta have some of them. Sapper I feel for you and I know personally how when family is suffering and you can't do anything, been there, have a nephew who is severe autism and talk about discrimination, but the legion needs good veterans now more than ever.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 20:03

Save me a seat Nav....sounds like you got a good one. The problem with the Legion in small towns is simply that there are not enough vets, so civies take over, set up dart leagues, etc for themselves, and forget their mandates. These people I see as nothing more than seat holders for vets. But if the legion doesn't modernize, I know the young guys and girls will not be enjoying cheap cocktails there anytime soon. Remember in the junior ranks club...buck a beer and buck fitty a shot. Enjoying a "boot" of beer with a rum chaser! Engineer special! Ah...the iron lung at the door....a beer machine....oh the memories....
Sap

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 20:09

Ice cold beer machines in the barracks, doubt if the legions any cheaper than the pubs are they nav.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 20:13

ya nav you have a point the thing is places like this membership increases during and after major events they are tied to . with the legion WAR is one of those things they are tied to . and at the start of the afgan war they did the one thing that would guarantee that this would NOT happen ANYWHERE NEAR the same rate as it did in the past .

they brought this on themselves buds and as long as they keep wanting to harm vets and take away there benefits they THE DOMINION COMMAND can all go take a flying leap .

JMO

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 20:46

I respect all the comments! A lot of widows supply Navs drinks, they offer and I'm the last person to want to break their hearts, seeing me there gives them purpose , energy to get up in the morning but , oh I don't know, I wish there was a CSAT branch of the legion, then drinks are on me!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 21:17

LOL Nav glad your keeping moral up.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Mon 15 Feb 2016, 22:01

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjio6CCofvKAhWks4MKHfq-AJ0QFgg-MAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwindsorstar.com%2Fnews%2Fwhere-does-your-poppy-donation-go&usg=AFQjCNEcKSBU-ifv8PYeXxpJMaYNlApZrw

This is all i can find on the poppy fund very dissapointing years ago it used to supply veterans and the needy with a turkey and everything for a Christmas dinner and a present for the kids i know i used to help deliver them when i was back on leave in the seventy's and the father in law was president of the legion there is probably the odd good legion out there still it just depends on who is in charge of it. But for the most part i think they're schitt now a day's.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Tue 16 Feb 2016, 11:24

I have to respect what this guy wrote. He hit just about every bent nail that is bad of the Legion.

About half way thru I started to realize this guy is ranting at Dominion Command more then the branches.

His idea of setting up branch, provincial command, Dominion Command levels of advocates is actually a good idea to bring vets back to the Legion.

It will be interesting to see what blowback he gets from Dominion Command over this.
teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3209
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat on Tue 16 Feb 2016, 11:36

Well here is the Poppy Fund Manual for 2014

http://www.legion.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/PoppyManual_Eng_Dec2014.pdf

Royal Canadian Legion General By-laws, since the poppy manual refers to some General By-laws

http://www.legion.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Bylaws_amendedFeb2015_e_V2.pdf

Last edited by BinRat on Tue 16 Feb 2016, 11:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added General by-law link)

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top