MVA says "Keep an eye on the budget"

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: MVA says "Keep an eye on the budget"

Post by Teentitan on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 02:06

Hey I want the same thing as you propat lifelong pension. We are just discussing the how's and what's to make the legislation work.

One very important point we seem to be forgetting is that we never got an answer if the lifelong would be taxed or tax free.

So there's another wrench to this.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3271
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 07:47

If I had a magic wand, what would I do with Veterans' Benefits?

Ottawa, ON - February 25, 2016

Yesterday at the Senate Subcommittee on Veterans Affairs, I was asked what I would change if I could do whatever I wanted with Veterans’ benefits. This is the question we should all be asking.

History has shown that changes to Veterans’ benefits are too often incremental and/or reactive. For the most part, they are based on individual circumstances. Many of these changes did not consider what strategic outcomes were to be achieved for all Veterans and their families.

So, if I had a magic wand, I would start with a clean sheet of paper. I would list all the outcomes we need to achieve to support Veterans and their families. I would consider outcomes, such as:
•financial security for life;
•best possible health care;
•fair compensation for pain and suffering;
•a successful transition to a new job or to the best possible quality of life, if unable to work; and
•informed Veteran-centric service delivery with timely decisions.

Sounds great to me period.

QUALITY  OF LIFE? 20 years of beating my head into the wall (VRAB + VAC) = along time suffering, which now = A long time undoing the past and trying to live today and forgetting how abandoned one can feel being medically released from the CF.
I  hope they have their act together this time.....Veterans of all Era's need be treated with  dignity and respect.

Last edited by Dannypaj on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 08:19; edited 1 time in total
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 08:15

Financial Security for life is what should be unveiled!  Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen try to accomplish this even while risking their life and limbs for Frack sakes.
When I swore the Oath of Allegiance it was for life ! ! !
If the GOC keeps it up, they will face a shrinkage in recruits.....word spreads fast on social media.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 14 Mar 2016, 08:44

hey teen that is that is what I meant when I said we agree on the premise .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 12:23

Looking at the MVA's Facebook it seems like the negative remarks have now changed to positive remarks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 13:37

You get more with honey than vinegar!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 16:36

They better announce the 15% increase for the ELB/LTD or there's going to be a lot of angry Veterans.

Teen the Lump sum is tax free , to bring back a lifelong pension that is taxed would not be welcomed , I would think.

Like I said in one of my other post , Veterans will not wait years for the bureaucrats to write up new legislation on this.
I think if this happens , the pressure will be put on our Minister to act.
The longer they take , the more pressure they will receive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 16:48

Trooper you need to remember we bombarded Andy Leslie during the election on wether it would be tax free or taxed. And the answer was nothing but crickets.

Also remember they did not say outright it would be a Pension Act lifelong pension. JT said he would bring back the lifelong pension.

I'm looking at it this way if JT and Hehr were going to make it a tax free pension it would be done because they would just use the framework propat did to create an ammendment to the NVC for lifelong pension. It seems to be not happening.

If the lifelong pension is not brought up in the budget then it's going to be a couple of years for them to work it out.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3271
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 17:12

Teen I certainly agree with what your saying , the thing is were dealing with a government who they themselves did not fully understand what Veterans meant when they asked for the lifelong pension.
I'm guessing right now the bureaucrats are in full control in writing up legislation , an of course it will have to pass through our MVA before it is brought forward.
I still think that no matter the outcome , Veterans will not stand by for years without any progress reports on the legislation.
It's going to be difficult to bring back a lifelong pension that is taxed when the previous lifelong was not , an is still not , not for those grandfathered into it , an not for the RCMP.
They better be careful how they choose to bring this pension back , because after the big win for SISIP , the active Equitas suit , there's Lawyers right across this Country just waiting to file another Law suit.
Remember when they promised to bring back the lifelong pension , one can certainly easily interpret this to mean the PA lifelong pension , as this is the only lifelong pension from past history that they have to refer too.
This is something the Lawyers can use for future Law suit consideration.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 19:09

well they knew FULL WELL what veterans wanted and in this regard hence the promise to garner the votes . instead of saying they would reinstate " THEE " lifelong pension they said it with the omission of the " THEE " while retaining the word " re-establish "

it makes it sound like they are promising a return of the PA pension without " technically " tying their hands to it .

as far as the tax thing is concerned cant see a replacement for a pain and suffering benefit being taxed at all . then it is really not a pain and suffering benefit . and every Canadian injured in the workplace is entitled to one if the injuries meet the proper criteria outside the workplace as well in other circumstances but I digress .

if I were being medically released and their was a taxed monthly benefit as a choice I would take the monthly benefit and the second I got my first check I would sue the GOC for a pain and suffering payment because I was entitled yet never received one.

seriously trying to replace a pain and suffering benefit with something that is taxed would be a huge legal nightmare . would they think about it and look into it just to frack disabled vets out of money ? sure they would its the GOC for cripes sakes its kinda what they do . im thinking unless they can see something I don't they would come to the conclusion that the only people they will frack by doing this would be themselves and avoid this legal nightmare that could very well cost them a lot more than any potential gains .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 19:28

Agreed Propat, they did indeed say thee!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 19:45

no nav they did not . the second the liberals put this into print . it was on their website .

the word THEE was in fact omitted . its the one word I was looking for the most but it just wasn't their . yes re-establish was their but by itself buds just isn't enough .

so its very ambiguous as to what they promised even though it doesn't look like it is . this is how they play with words buds all politicians do it .

they used the word RE-ESTABLISH to make it look more specific as to the PA pension and thus garner votes .

they didn't use ANYTHING in the place the THEE should be like an" A" because that would have defeated the purpose of using the word RE-ESTABLISH and made the promise look as ambiguous as it actually is .

its all a big game of political sentence construction. really its a nice little piece of work . it truly is .

still not giving up hope though .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 19:50

I agree also during the "campaign" they used words such as "reinstated" "Re - establish.

This is the wording used in the Mandate letter ;

" Re-establish lifelong pensions as an option for our injured veterans, and increase the value of the disability award, while ensuring that every injured veteran has access to financial advice and support so that they can determine the form of compensation that works best for them and their families. "

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 19:57

Here is the definition of Re - establish ;

Thesaurus

reestablish

"bring back into original existence"

"To bring back into existence or use"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 15 Mar 2016, 20:11

yes trooper that is correct and to re -establish a lifelong pension all the need to do is put any lifelong pension in place . then a lifelong pension has been re-established . if they had published they they would re-establish " thee " lifelong pension then that would be a horse of a completely different color .

propat

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top