Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by Teentitan on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:08

TORONTO - Prince Harry has announced Toronto will host next year's Invictus Games, an international sports competition for wounded troops.

Harry, who founded the games and is the patron for the competition, says he's "absolutely delighted" the legacy of the event will continue in the city in 2017.

He says the Toronto games will feature more sports than the competition has had before, including events on ice.

The Invictus Games is a sporting competition for wounded, injured and sick troops and includes both current and serving members of the forces.

The Invictus Games Foundation says Toronto won the rights to the 2017 event because it demonstrated "a real understanding of the core concept and vision" of the games.

The first Invictus Games was held in London in September 2014 and involved more than 400 competitors from 13 countries.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/16/toronto-to-host-invictus-games-prince-harry-in-2017
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3266
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Invictus Games 2017 / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by Trooper on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:37

Teen is this for Disabled/injured Veterans and serving members of the Canadian Forces ?
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 11:45

Here's the link to the Invictus Games Foundation. Will answer all questions.

https://invictusgamesfoundation.org/

Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 12:11

I think this is a good thing and from what I'm reading it's only for the wounded , injured , and sick servicemen and women both who are still serving and Veterans.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 14:00

I'm in.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifleman on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 19:01

I'm in if they have beer pong

Rifleman
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 612
Registration date : 2013-05-15

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 19:04

I'm in if they have caps.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1223
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 19:47

Here is a list of the sports played for the 2014 games.

Swimming
sitting volleyball , wheelchair rugby and wheelchair basketball
Archery, Indoor Rowing and Powerlifting
Road cycling
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Wed 16 Mar 2016, 21:41

Prince Harry said, and I quote "There will be ice sports as it is Canada afterall".

Sledge hockey! Veterans with two sticks with pic's at the end....what could go wrong? LOL

If the Toronto Maple Leafs don't get involved in this Conn Smythe will come out of his grave! What better way could one kick off the 100th year of the Maple Leafs???
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Sat 26 Mar 2016, 06:40

In Prince Harry's Invictus Games, sport is soldiers' weapon of choice

The 30 athletes training for the second Invictus Games at a Toronto sports complex earlier this week were still a month from competition, but all had already managed to overcome incredible odds.

Each is a veteran or current member of the Canadian Armed Forces who was wounded while serving or is suffering from an illness as a result of their military service. They are set to compete in Orlando, Fla., in May against other soldiers from around the world in a multi-sport competition founded by Prince Harry three years ago.

Capt. Simon Mailloux, an officer with the Royal 22nd Regiment in Quebec City, is one of them. The 32-year-old lost his left leg at the knee after stepping on an improvised explosive device during a 2007 mission in Afghanistan.

He turned to adaptive sports as part of his rehabilitation. Now, he competes in several track and field events.

"I got injured in Afghanistan, and I re-deployed to Afghanistan two years later," he said while training at the Pan Am Sports Centre in the Toronto suburb of Scarborough. "Sports helped me out. Now, whatever [training] I did over those years, I get to test on the track and field at Invictus."

Athletes selected to represent Canada at the Invictus Games train in their local communities with volunteer coaches and meet about twice a year for joint training sessions. Their costs are covered by the Invictus Foundation and Soldier On, a Canadian Armed Forces program for veterans and members of the military suffering from a physical or mental illness.
​Mailloux says the Invictus Games are all the more meaningful to soldiers like him because they were founded by Prince Harry, the youngest son of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana and himself a veteran of the war in Afghanistan. The prince served 10 years in the British Armed Forces and completed two tours in Afghanistan.
"For us, he's the best patron," he said. "He's also a brother in arms. He's been there with us. He understands what we've been through."

Prince Harry launched the games in 2013 after seeing a similar event for U.S. veterans put on by the Wounded Warriors organization. He named the event after the Latin word for "unconquered."

The first Invictus Games were held in 2014 in London. Canada's team consisted of just 11 members. This year, it's more than double that, and organizers hope to recruit even more competitors next year, when the games will take place in Toronto.

Retired Master Cpl.l Natacha Dupuis of Ottawa made this year's team just last month. The power lifter is already thinking about making the 2017 team. Dupuis has battled post-traumatic stress disorder since watching two of her fellow soldiers die in an explosion during her second tour in Afghanistan.

"Sports helped me regain confidence [in] myself developing new abilities," she said. "I'm 36 years old, and, yes, I have PTSD, but life is surely not over."

Retired Cpl. Christine Gauthier also turned to sports to pull herself out of a dark period. A training accident in 1989 injured her back and knees. She now has to use a wheelchair. The 45-year-old from Montreal says discovering a love for kayaking helped her overcome depression and isolation.

Now, Gauthier is a five-time world champion in paracanoe. She's vying for a spot on Canada's Paralympic team heading to Rio this summer. But first, the Invictus Games.

"It's giving me the extra opportunity to service my country again, and I'm very proud of that," said Gauthier.

This year's competition will include 10 sporting events and 500 athletes from 15 countries, and Gauthier says she expects the games will only grow — in attendance, stature and popularity.

"Don't forget that the Paralympic Games started like these: in honour of wounded soldiers," she said. "So, who knows where [Invictus] will go."

The 2016 Invictus Games will be held May 8 to May 12.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/invictus-games-veterans-harry-1.3506628

Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Mon 18 Apr 2016, 18:33

5 things to know about Prince Harry's Invictus Games in Toronto

Prince Harry heads to Toronto to launch countdown to the 2017 Invictus Games

The Invictus Games, the competition which has helped wounded servicemen and women in their rehabilitation through sport, is set to take place in Orlando, Florida, from May 8 to May 12. And the legacy will be coming to our own backyard in 2017, as it was recently announced that there would be a third Invictus Games in Toronto.

Here's everything you need to know about the Toronto Invictus Games.

1. It honours wounded servicemen and women
The event is held in honour of all injured, sick and wounded personnel, and offers them the chance to compete in athletic events while at the same time aiding recovery and offering support for all those who have left the battlefield.

The games' slogan perfectly sums up the bravery and resilience of these brave individuals: "We came. We saw. We're unconquered."

2. Prince Harry is a driving force behind the event
Prince Harry recently announced that he would be visiting Toronto on May 2 to launch the countdown to the games, which will take place in the city in September 2017. Prince Harry, who served in the British military, has played an important role in bringing awareness to veterans' issues.

3. It will be the third event
The games were launched in London in 2014, after Harry was inspired by the Warrior Games in the U.S.A. Toronto 2017 will mark the games' third event and a particularly important one for Canada.

"This is an historic opportunity for the country to pay its respect and gratitude to our ill and injured veterans as well as military families across the country," event CEO Michael Burns said.

4. The games are becoming more popular with Canadian veterans
In the 2014 games, there were just 11 Canadian servicemen competing, but this year in Orlando, there will be 30 Canadians taking part in the weeklong games. By 2017, Mr. Burns hopes there will be 100 competitors to represent our country.

5. Competing on home soil is a big deal
In 2017, the games will use the venues built for the 2015 Pan Am Games, but competing in Toronto will have importance for the servicemen and women looking to compete, as this year's team captain, Bruno Guévremont, reveals.

Guévremont is a 14-year Canadian Forces veteran who in 2009, after being deployed to Kandahar, Afghanistan, suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder.

"Competing in the Invictus Games on home soil will provide me and my fellow military competitors with the pride and confidence needed to push our minds and bodies beyond what we thought was possible — to represent our country shoulder-to-shoulder as we once did," he said.

More details about the Invictus Games Toronto 2017 will be released in the coming weeks, and you can keep up to date with the latest information via the website.

http://www.sheknows.com/living/articles/1118599/2017-invictus-games-toronto
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

100 Canadians to compete in 2017 Invictus Games

Post by Trooper on Mon 02 May 2016, 16:21

An estimated 100 Canadians are expected to compete in the Toronto games, which will take place at Pan Am Games venues throughout the city.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was also on hand for the Toronto Invictus Games launch which he said sparked memories of his own grandfather, former Liberal cabinet minister James Sinclair, who served in the Second World War.
"He shared with his family… that commitment to service, that commitment to country, that dedication to fighting in every possible different way for better," Trudeau said. "For a better world, for better outcomes."
Trudeau reminded the audience of his government’s commitment to re-open nine veterans' services centres that were shuttered under the previous Conservative government. He also spoke of his government's commitment to increase financial support to veterans and to the families of fallen soldiers.
Meanwhile, the Ontario government announced a $10 million commitment to support the Invictus Games during the launch event.
Trudeau said the Toronto games will provide an opportunity for Canadians to show their support for the men and women who serve their country.
"The moments of courage, of valor, of dedication, of drive that characterized your service, those moments of extraordinary strength happened without applause without family members to support you," he said.
"The Invictus Games will allow us… to pause and give you some of the applause," he added.

Canadian Armed Forces veteran and Ottawa City Councillor Jody Mitic made an emotional address during the Monday morning event, where he recalled losing both of his legs during a tour of Afghanistan.
"As soldiers, we feel invincible," he told the crowd. "But we know we aren't really invincible, and for some of us it becomes obvious in an instance."
He continued: "That explosion took more than flesh and bone, it took my identity as a soldier, the thing I loved the most."
Mitic said the games offer an opportunity for injured service personnel to heal.
Prince Harry to attend sledge hockey exhibition
Later in the day, Prince Harry is scheduled to attend a sledge hockey exhibition game with Trudeau at Ryerson University's Mattamy Athletic Centre.
The 31-year-old will also attend a reception on Monday afternoon with Ontario Lt.-Gov. Elizabeth Dowdeswell at Queen's Park.
Royal commentator Victoria Arbiter said Prince Harry has "poured his heart and soul" into getting the Invictus Games off the ground.
"It's about building these people who've suffered horrendous injuries on behalf of their country back," Arbiter told CTV's Canada AM on Monday. "He really wants to show the people and the competitors how much spirit they've got and how much support they've got."
After Harry's Toronto visit, he will be heading south to Orlando, Fla., where this year's Invictus Games will be held.
An estimated 30 Canadian veterans will be competing in the Orlando games.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/prince-harry-says-invictus-games-help-smash-stigma-around-injured-vets-1.2883140
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games 2017

Post by Trooper on Sun 08 May 2016, 15:56

Invictus Games 2017 will bring together more than 600 competitors from up to 16 nations to compete in 12 sports: archery, track and field, cycling, golf, powerlifting, indoor rowing, sitting volleyball, sledge hockey, swimming, wheelchair basketball, wheelchair rugby and wheelchair tennis.

Who is eligible to join Team Canada?
Serving members and veterans of the CAF who have a permanent physical or mental health injury/illness.

To be considered for Team Canada 2017, fill out a nomination form available at www.SoldierOn.ca

Deadline to register is 30 June 2016.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/transition/invictus-games
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Invictus Games Orlando

Post by prawnstar on Sun 15 May 2016, 12:57

I watched the opening ceremonies and I was blown away by the powerful messages that came through. Isreal Del Toro "DT" was truly moving and it was a tear jerking speech that he gave. I watched the show with an open mind and heart and it made me realize how lucky I am to have no visible wounds. The extent of some of their injuries on top of of the invisible ones would be hard for me to imagine. The barriers they have crossed to become these athletes is mind boggling. I also watched the closing ceremonies and I must say it was a great concert. I enjoyed it up until the end. When they passed on the Invictus Flag to team Canada it was so low key if you blinked you would have missed it. The part that really pissed me off was the RCMP standing there in their cowboy outfits and not one CAF member in uniform. Why were the Mounties the flag party. WTF is up with that? Are we not proud enough of our soldiers that we have to have cops raising our flag? Are the mounties the only Canadian symbol we have? Now the world thinks they are soldiers dressed in funny pants. It really irks me when a military event has them participating like they are part of us. Go parade with cops cause that's what you are. You are a unionized national police service not even close to our CAF. I sent an email to the Invictus Games 2017 expressing these sentiments. It will be interesting to see if they respond and what they have to say. My rant for the day. If anyone feels the same way I think we should express our discontent to Invictus 2017.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sun 15 May 2016, 17:02

I agree that while sitting at home, it might seem inappropriate for the RCMP to be the flag party. But at the same time, considering that the games are celebrating those who were injured while in uniform, and most likely involuntarily released, having a flag party of still serving CF members, might have been just as inappropriate, if not more.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3091
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top