Hey Bigrex one more for three thousand. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 292
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Increased Disability Award & Retro

Post by bigrex on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 11:23

They are only paying COLA, up to the year that the initial award was received, even though I believe that COLA should be paid out up to and including 2017 for the top up.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3286
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ireland102 on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 10:34

Will the COLA be added to the new amount for the specific year of the claim? For example 2008 at 10% the new number multiplied by 2.1?

Ireland102
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2017-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonythebosn on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 23:32

Binrat..... your a gentleman and a scholar!
That's what I got as well.

Not much longer till those letters come out.

Tonythebosn
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2017-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by BinRat on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 23:29

Tonythebosn
I'm hoping someone double Check my math
on the award top up?

Here is the info;
Feb 2011 - 25% - 71,329.87
Feb 2012 - 10% - 29,330.84
Apr 2014 - 5% - 15,063.76

Well here's what I got for ya...
Year % New Old Difference
2011@25% -- $81270.83 - $71329.87 =$9940.96
2012@10% -- $33451.08 - $29330.84 = $4120.24
2014@5% --   $17196.86 - $15063.76 = $2133.10

Total of Retro should be $16194.30

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 262

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 20:44

Idioventricular Rhythm wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news when it comes to addressing the at best, perceived lack of communication between the minister and us as a collective group, but as has been identified by Trooper a lack of unity or at least a group presence is lacking.

We as a body require a cohesive unit or entity that is willing to study, interpret the results, and present the evidence to a governmental agency such as VAC or the current Liberal government.  Without a body of evidence to present, our bitching and whining on the internet just creates an echo chamber for other veterans to hear us and share a commonality in distress but with no effective channeling of energy.

We are unique in the world. Canada has committed significant resources to global military action, especially in recent history in Afghanistan.  What usually coincides with conflict like this is academics studying the cause and effect of veterans and their illnesses.  In Canada, the universities are dominated by Liberal ideology.  This isn't right or wrong, but it presents a problem.  War, veterans, their health, and prevention of military service borne illness aren't at the top of the list of stereotypical Liberal academic ventures as many lack any interest in conflict and research is inherently driven by self-interest in the topic.

There is data in the hands of Veteran's Affairs I am sure from countless hours of veterans seeking medical and psychological treatment but the fractured nature of the work that VAC does in comparison to other nations, means that each case becomes compartmentalized.

Until we have academic or scientific ventures that take interest in our plight, we will be far too subjective and anecdotal as a population to really be able to influence changes in policies and treatment.

Agreed Idio. Welcome to the forum. Hopefully is doesn't affect you ventrical rhythm.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonythebosn on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 20:28

Hello!

I'm hoping someone double Check my math
on the award top up?

Here is the info;
Feb 2011 - 25% - 71,329.87
Feb 2012 - 10% - 29,330.84
Apr 2014 - 5% - 15,063.76

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Tony

Tonythebosn
CSAT Member

Registration date : 2017-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Idioventricular Rhythm on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 19:51

I hate to be the bearer of bad news when it comes to addressing the at best, perceived lack of communication between the minister and us as a collective group, but as has been identified by Trooper a lack of unity or at least a group presence is lacking.

We as a body require a cohesive unit or entity that is willing to study, interpret the results, and present the evidence to a governmental agency such as VAC or the current Liberal government. Without a body of evidence to present, our bitching and whining on the internet just creates an echo chamber for other veterans to hear us and share a commonality in distress but with no effective channeling of energy.

We are unique in the world. Canada has committed significant resources to global military action, especially in recent history in Afghanistan. What usually coincides with conflict like this is academics studying the cause and effect of veterans and their illnesses. In Canada, the universities are dominated by Liberal ideology. This isn't right or wrong, but it presents a problem. War, veterans, their health, and prevention of military service borne illness aren't at the top of the list of stereotypical Liberal academic ventures as many lack any interest in conflict and research is inherently driven by self-interest in the topic.

There is data in the hands of Veteran's Affairs I am sure from countless hours of veterans seeking medical and psychological treatment but the fractured nature of the work that VAC does in comparison to other nations, means that each case becomes compartmentalized.

Until we have academic or scientific ventures that take interest in our plight, we will be far too subjective and anecdotal as a population to really be able to influence changes in policies and treatment.

Idioventricular Rhythm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2016-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 18:14

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2527

Policy on implementation of the top up

Cosmo

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Willie on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 17:43

I think that what we have seen recently being implemented by this government is  going to be as good as it is going to get from here on out for soldiers and veterans alike. I don't see any further improvements being made on our file regardless of the rhetoric in Ottawa.

Willie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2017-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 16:10

TK wrote:The minister of veteran affairs is not a veteran himself, so how can he as the person standing up (or lack there of) be in the position he is? The minister of health is a doctor as should be the case , then why can't we put a veteran in the ministers position and get on with what needs to be done. Call me crazy or does that not make sense?

Being a Veteran and having the position of Minister of Veterans Affairs changes nothing.

The deputy Minister is a Veteran.

The last Minister was a Veteran.

The Veterans Ombudsman is a Veteran, he is getting ready to publish a review that he says will show that the New Veterans Charter is better than the old pension act.

We need a person who is willing to educate themselves on our file, they need to dictate, not listen to the bureaucrats/staffers who are really running the show. They are the ones who bring things forward to our Minister for implementation, in other words, they write up what the Minister passes down to then from his mandate.

So in my opinion, a Veteran has nothing to do with being a better Minister of Veterans Affairs.

We have a charter in place that has clearly divided Veterans, and Veteran groups. Some are OK with this charter, some are not. The Equitas suit cannot force the return of the old pension act, if won. 11 years later, and no desire by any of the two governments to bring back the old pension act. Seeing that the government won't bring it back, and Veterans are not united to fight to bring it back, I think it's safe to say it won't be back.

Be prepared for the ongoing, continuous fixing of the gaps within the charter.

Back to top Go down

Post by TK on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 15:24

The minister of veteran affairs is not a veteran himself, so how can he as the person standing up (or lack there of) be in the position he is? The minister of health is a doctor as should be the case , then why can't we put a veteran in the ministers position and get on with what needs to be done. Call me crazy or does that not make sense?

TK
CSAT Member

Registration date : 2017-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 12:33

Crystal clear statements that we are later told should not have been taken literally as seen in the Trump how to lie, swerve and deflect handbook.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 12:15

Rex totally agree with you but here is the devil in the details....

Yes Trudeau said it BUT he did not say what kind of lifelong pension. He totally made the statement based on Veterans would automatically assume he was talking about the PA pension.

Problem was even when we asked, over and over and over, if it was going to be the PA, taxed or not taxed the questions were deflected with expertise.

I hope all veterans learn from this and refuse to budge until statement's made during a campaign are made "crystal clear"
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3313
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 12:09

I only wish that we could sue them, to live up to the actual wording of a political promise, just like with insurance companies and how they word their policies. During and after the campaign, they repeatedly used the word "reinstate".

From Merriam-Webster dictionary, the definition of reinstate are:

1. to place again (as in possession or in a former position)
2. to restore to a previous effective state.

So in this context, saying reinstate the life long disability pension should legally mean that they are bringing in the life long pension that had previously been in place. Anything short of doing so isn't "reinstating" the life long pension, it's introducing a new life long pension plan.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3286

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 59 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 32 ... 59  Next