Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Page 27 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Post by Guest on Thu 04 May 2017, 10:48

Xnurse wrote:I'm confused by the CIA S determination. My CM says it's the same as the former TPI determination. How does that reflect the Diminished Earning Capacity? I'm not able to work, so I'm able to earn 0$, how is that not diminished?

It is not the same as the old TPI, the DEC has a different standard of qualifying then the old TPI.

Diminished Earning Capacity (“DEC”) means that the Veteran is incapacitated by a permanent physical or mental health problem that prevents the Veteran from performing any occupation that would be considered suitable gainful employment;

Suitable Gainful Employment (“employability”) means employment for which the Veteran is reasonably qualified by reason of education, training and experience and that provides a monthly rate of pay equal to at least 66 2/3 per cent of the imputed income of the Veteran.

Imputed Income means the income amount of the Veteran used to calculate the Earnings Loss Benefit for the eligible Veteran:
http://veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2125

CIA Supplement Eligibility

The CIA supplement is payable to a Veteran who:

A. is in receipt of CIA (see the Eligibility section of this policy); and/b]

B. has been determined to have a DEC.

Veterans who have been approved for rehabilitation services may be determined to have a DEC. For guidance regarding the DEC determination click here:  http://veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/1971

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2126[/u]#anchor57637[/b

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/1971

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Thu 04 May 2017, 19:01

PIAS was limited to those of us who were completely incapable of working, regardless of how many years they served. CIAS, on the other hand, can be given to someone who can still work, as long as their income is less than 66+% of their imputed income.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3103
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay on Sat 06 May 2017, 22:31

Hi Ya'll
My husband and I are having a heated debate regarding taxes on benefits for those who fall under the Old Pension Act. I told him that the CIA and the CIA supplement is TAXED regardless of Old Pension or NVC. He disagrees with me and said that 'The Old Pension and Benfits are tax free no matter when the benefit was introduced.' Is the CIA & CIA Supplement tax free for those who are under the 'Old Pension Act?'
I am under the Old Pension and I never applied for any additional benefit except for my Disability Pension so now my CM is applying for all the benefits that I am entitled to.

By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Sat 06 May 2017, 23:55

I straddle both the Pension Act and NVC and I receive a monthly pension and CIA grade 3 and the CIA  is unfortunately taxed, but the benefit is also for life.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/news/vac-responds/just-the-facts/career-impact-allowance

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 659
Registration date : 2014-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay on Sun 07 May 2017, 00:20

Bruce72,
Thank you for settling my aguement with my husband!
I love being right but in this situation I wouldn't mind being wrong for once...lol
It would have been icing on the cake if it was tax-free! Razz

Does anyone know how do I find out what my percentage my 'Rating' is? Do they rate your disabilities when you apply for CIA benefits or was it decided when I was first applied for my disability pension?
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Sun 07 May 2017, 00:33

Grade one is the highest level of compensation. It is for Veterans with the most severe physical, functional and/or mental impairment—for example, those who have quadriplegia or require total care and supervision.

Grade two is for Veterans with impairments such as a single or double limb amputation, or who require recurrent hospitalization for a psychiatric condition.

Grade three is for Veterans with impairments such as those requiring chronic use of medication, or psychiatric care for depressive and anxiety symptoms.

However, there has been enhancements made to the CIA.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/help/faq/career-impact-allowance

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 07 May 2017, 06:16

By the Bay wrote:Hi Ya'll
My husband and I are having a heated debate regarding taxes on benefits for those who fall under the Old Pension Act. I told him that the CIA and the CIA supplement is TAXED regardless of Old Pension or NVC. He disagrees with me and said that 'The Old Pension and Benfits are tax free no matter when the benefit was introduced.'  Is the CIA & CIA Supplement tax free for those who are under the 'Old Pension Act?'
I am under the Old Pension and I never applied for any additional benefit except for my Disability Pension so now my CM is applying for all the benefits that I am entitled to.

By the Bay,

Your husband may be partly correct, I will explain;

Those Veterans from the Pension Act receive a benefit called (EIA) Exceptional Incapacity Allowance.

The New Charter Veterans received the (PIA) Permanent Impairment Allowance which is now changed to the (CIA) Career Impact Allowance and of course the Supplement.

The PIA / CIA were really meant to replace the (EIA) Exceptional Incapacity Allowance from the Old Pension Act, to those Veterans in the New Veterans Charter.

The (EIA) Exceptional Incapacity Allowance is Tax Free, the (CIA) Career Impact Allowance is Taxed.  

Both are for life.

Perhaps that's what your husband meant when he said all benefits from the old act are tax free.

NOTE: Those Pension Act Veterans who are not receiving the (EIA) Exceptional Incapacity Allowance and apply post April 01 2006 will automatically fall under the (CIA) Career Impact Allowance.

Those Pension Act Veterans who are receiving the (EIA) Exceptional Incapacity Allowance, are not entitled to apply for the (CIA) Career Impact Allowance OR the (CIAS) Career Impact Allowance Supplement.

Click here for info on the (EIA) Exceptional Incapacity Allowance:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/exceptional-incapacity-allowance

Exceptional Incapacity Allowance Amounts:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/rates#eia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo on Sun 07 May 2017, 10:53

what i don't understand with the allowance is why you are supposed to be approved for rehab when you are impaired enough that you are unlikely to work again.
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay on Sun 07 May 2017, 10:54

Thank you Bruce72 and Trooper! You both have been a big help in ending the 'War of the Roses' between my husband and I😂 He has raised the white flag and surrendered! Lol
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Sun 07 May 2017, 11:01

I've raised the white flag so many times in my marriage I don't even know where my victory banner is anymore. She probably sold it at a garage sale.
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Sun 07 May 2017, 11:28

On topic, still haven't had my CIA reassessment done yet. The whole potential earnings capacity thing seems like an easy out, interpretation wise for VAC. My doctor says I can't work.... should be 0% but we all know VAC will use magic math and give a number.
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Sun 07 May 2017, 13:36

Good stuff By the Bay!

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo on Sun 07 May 2017, 13:41

ANother thing I don't understand with this allowance is....why isn't everyone that is medically released and 100% unemployable and getting such things like SISIP LTD and CPP(D) eligible for this. Cause sometimes when I read about it, I would think that just because you receive those 2, does not mean that you would qualify for CIA. And yet, isn't this the purpose of CIA....if you can't work....you should get CIA. Just don't know how many hoops they will make me jump if I put in for this. ANd for the record i am under old charter with a VAC monthly pension but NOT at 100%. And I also get about $100 pm for housekeeping. And I get SISIP and CPP(D). ANd if one gets this, does Sisip then subtract the allowance from what they give you?
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo on Sun 07 May 2017, 13:46

And when I look at this..... I would never qualify even tho I have been unable to work for 20 years.... Cause I still have all my limbs....I don't have a pscyh disorder and tho I am useless for work, I am still ambulatory and feed and clothe myself. So why call it the CIA when many that can't ever work again would never qualify?

Definition in Regulation

As per section 40 of the CFMVRCR, a permanent and severe impairment is:
an amputation at or above the elbow or the knee;
the amputation of more than one upper or lower limb at any level;
a total and permanent loss of the use of a limb;
a total and permanent loss of vision, hearing or speech;
a severe and permanent psychiatric condition;
a severe and permanent limitation in mobility or self-care;
a permanent requirement for supervision.
Nemo
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 07 May 2017, 15:15

nemo wrote:And when I look at this..... I would never qualify even tho I have been unable to work for 20 years.... Cause I still have all my limbs....I don't have a pscyh disorder and tho I am useless for work, I am still ambulatory and feed and clothe myself.  So why call it the CIA when many that can't ever work again would never qualify?

Definition in Regulation

As per section 40 of the CFMVRCR, a permanent and severe impairment is:
an amputation at or above the elbow or the knee;
the amputation of more than one upper or lower limb at any level;
a total and permanent loss of the use of a limb;
a total and permanent loss of vision, hearing or speech;
a severe and permanent psychiatric condition;
a severe and permanent limitation in mobility or self-care;
a permanent requirement for supervision.

nemo,

That's only one category of eligibility, they are different categories of eligibility for each level of the CIA, and different categories within each level to be eligible. In other words if you don't meet one of the categories, you may fit into another.

But what I don't agree with is using the career aspect of determination for the CIA, the method their using does not reflect the overhaul situation that is unique to each Veterans circumstance in terms of career lost, time remaining to serve and age. You either have a level of disability, or you don't, career ending has nothing to do with it simply because if a Veteran is at this stage, career opportunity should not be a factor in determination being that the Veteran is already disabled.

As it stands thus far both here on the forum, and on other sites, the numbers are very low in benefiting from this change CIA).

In my own opinion I think what's really going on here with these changes and some of the implementations from the Liberals on our file so far is simply a tactic used to create future employment for the bureaucrats and also to hold a solid base for the Veterans Ombudsman. The bureaucrats run the show, they come from all stripes, everything your seeing as far as details are concern, are coming from them. The Veterans Ombudsman has brought forward many suggestions that have been digested and detailed by the bureaucrats and implemented by our Minister. So here's where I think the circle lies, you have our Minister, Walt, Guy Parent and the bureaucrats all together in this circle to form the Veterans file. The Advisory Groups and Stakeholder Summits are simply put in place for PR purposes, the only outside Influence would only be considered if the influence is already embedded in that circle.

Now there's some who would completely disagree with my beliefs, that's fine, I'm no expert but I have been watching our file closely, and I know the old pension act, I also see the tactics being used by the Liberals, the tactics are the same no matter which government holds power. I'm afraid our government is using us to protect themselves, protect the bureaucrats and secure their own futures, at the same time working hard to give the perception that things are changing for the better on the Veterans file. Things might be a bit better in some cases but certainly no major improvements and no comparison to the old tax free pension act. So far, I think this has been working real well for the government, they have succeeded in securing their futures at the same time leaving plenty of ammo to defend their progress, regardless of any Lifelong pension.

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top