Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Page 28 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Post by johnny211 on Sun 07 May 2017, 19:58

Trooper, - I put a review in last wk on my CIA assessment letter. Its like playing a game of chance. But got to keep fighting on.. Do you know how long a review letter takes to get an answer nowadays? Tks Johnny
VVV..
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Sun 07 May 2017, 20:00

It's crazy how we have "60" days to appeal, yet claims sit for months and months.
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Mon 08 May 2017, 00:53

Ya it's in the same ballpark as my DA top up that is still being held up over a $79 overpayment, which I've already paid back.

The most recent info from VAC regarding my top up. "It should come shortly". When I asked them to define shortly, they said "within the next month".

Clowns the lot of them.

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2014-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by nemo on Mon 08 May 2017, 10:45

So I wonder of all the disabled veterans who can not work ....what % get the CIA. Maybe 5%?

VAC's site says 'The Career Impact Allowance (CIA) is a taxable, monthly benefit—payable for life. The allowance is provided when your career options have been limited because of a service-related illness or injury.'

They really need to change that blurb because the CIA is not given to the many that have had a career ending illness or injury. Even if you collect SISIP LTD and CPP(D), this does not mean that you qualify.

So this has nothing to do with career impact. If it did, then all who lost their careers due to illness and injury and never worked again would qualify and they don't.

nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Mon 08 May 2017, 11:13

Ya I've got a buddy (my closest friend) who served in the Stan and was awarded a DA award and deemed TPI, but has never been on a Rehab program, so he doesn't qualify for the CIA.

I've always been confused by the need for a Rehab plan part of things.

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 650
Registration date : 2014-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Mon 08 May 2017, 14:53

johnny211 wrote:Trooper,  - I put a review in last wk on my CIA assessment letter. Its like playing a game of chance. But got to keep fighting on.. Do you know how long a review letter takes to get an answer nowadays? Tks Johnny
VVV..

Johnny,

I know your entitled to appeal, as far as the timeline for an answer I'm unsure of the answer. I would think it would be a Departmental Review which usually takes anywhere from 16 to 21 Weeks. In this particular case seeing that it's a new change and a reassessment review, they might have an answer much sooner.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5276
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Mon 08 May 2017, 15:21

nemo wrote:So I wonder of all the disabled veterans who can not work ....what % get the CIA. Maybe 5%?

VAC's site says 'The Career Impact Allowance (CIA) is a taxable, monthly benefit—payable for life. The allowance is provided when your career options have been limited because of a service-related illness or injury.'  

They really need to change that blurb because the CIA is not given to the many that have had a career ending illness or injury.  Even if you collect SISIP LTD and CPP(D), this does not mean that you qualify.

So this has nothing to do with career impact. If it did, then all who lost their careers due to illness and injury and never worked again would qualify and they don't.

Exactly my thoughts nemo, well said.

We have a lot of intelligent members on this forum who are reading between the lines and understand just how idiotic some of these changes are. Make no mistake about the new CIA, the Energizer Bunny will make this change glow regardless if 5% or 1% of Veterans benefit from it. That's a good question to ask our Minister when he starts to defend his portfolio with the praising of this CIA and the CIA Supplement, what percentage of Veterans are benefiting thus far from this change? I can tell you his answer will be it's much easier to qualify and this is an improvement that helps all Veterans and their families. No percentage will be given. Once you start straying away from a level of disability, to a career level in determining the approval for disability benefits, you have now lost the merits of the guidelines that is used to determine benefits for disabled Canadian Veterans, it also questions the intelligence and the legitimacy of those implementing these changes.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

well here we go again !

Post by frustrated on Tue 09 May 2017, 08:41

I just received my notification that i am staying at cat 3 . the reason is that they said that i served a 20 year career so that meant that i had 4 years left (?) . Now here is the rub . I recruited in to the reserves in 83 , transferred to the reg force in 86 got kicked out in 03 (medical) . Now i was only given 48 days credit for my reserve time so i was pension out at 17.2 years of service . This number was confirmed to me by VA .
On the face of it i served 20 years but i was only given 17 + years toward benefits (IE pension) . I don't understand how they can count reserve time at 1 to 1 when i was only granted 48 days credit . I would understand if i was on class A call outs for the entire time since i would have been making money but it was far from that as reflected by my credited reserve time.
Any thoughts

frustrated
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2017-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Tue 09 May 2017, 13:26

frustrated - What your are talking about is the same reason I just put a review in for. I also did 4 reserve prior to 20 reg. Back then there was no reserve pension plan. So I'm not sure what there thinking is of adding those yrs towards ones annuity. Im sure they will spin it somehow, but I'll just appeal till the cows come home,lol. VVV...
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by frustrated on Tue 09 May 2017, 13:41

thanks , i am so frustrated i guess its time to smoke my 5 grams a day till they cut me back to 3 ….. NIGHT NIGHT thanks man and good luck

frustrated
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Armygunner on Tue 09 May 2017, 15:54

The new CIA and DEC IMHO are a step back from the old PIA and TPI. It seems to me that the new versions make it harder to get the higher grades because of time served. Getting the DEC seems to be even harder to obtain. Who makes the decision of what is considered reasonable type of work you are qualified for?

Armygunner
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2016-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by frustrated on Tue 09 May 2017, 21:15

you know what , I am getting sick of this !st they impose a bureaucratic night mare for us to navigate through , then they tell their underlings that they can't read letters over the phone , then they give us strick time limits to appeal , then the government says " look what we did to help you " , then they take up to 3 months t readdress our appeal , mean while the vets with PTSD are always wondering if the F@#$Kers will take money back .
Also considering that the most volurenable (?) of us would rather suck on the barrel of an FN , or just close the curtains and stay in bed rather than deal with this shit.
we ALL need to do something , that is united and effective . IE call oure MPs .
If they put something out make it fair …
If you can`t work you can't work end of story . This horse shit about a 20 year career is crap . many of us (if we were allowed to stay in ) would have served 28 + years since it was in our blood  . Just look back at all the shit birds that are now SSMs , and chiefs what a joke .
F!@k !!!!
I need to smoke more dope
good night all .

frustrated
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Tue 09 May 2017, 21:45

Amen
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 456
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Fri 12 May 2017, 13:01

maybe this was already covered but if you`re initial CIA application is denied and you disagree , what is your recourse? is there one? Do you just suck it up, or is there a formal process to follow and if it`s a written reply who do you mail your disagreement to? Thanks in advance.
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Fri 12 May 2017, 13:19

Artie Simm wrote:maybe this was already covered but if you`re initial CIA application is denied and you disagree , what is your recourse? is there one? Do you just suck it up, or is there a formal process to follow and if it`s a written reply who do you mail your disagreement to? Thanks in advance.

You can appeal, ask for a review.

Regarding the review, you can write to VAC detailing the reasons for disagreeing, and any new evidence you have to add.

Some have been able to accomplish this through My VAC Account, while others were not able to, leaving them to send out their letter by mail.

I will let others who have recently sent out appeals to weight in with more info.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top