Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Page 4 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Post by By the Bay on Sun 07 May 2017, 10:54

Thank you Bruce72 and Trooper! You both have been a big help in ending the 'War of the Roses' between my husband and I😂 He has raised the white flag and surrendered! Lol
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Nemo on Sun 07 May 2017, 10:53

what i don't understand with the allowance is why you are supposed to be approved for rehab when you are impaired enough that you are unlikely to work again.
Nemo
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 312
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 07 May 2017, 06:16

By the Bay wrote:Hi Ya'll
My husband and I are having a heated debate regarding taxes on benefits for those who fall under the Old Pension Act. I told him that the CIA and the CIA supplement is TAXED regardless of Old Pension or NVC. He disagrees with me and said that 'The Old Pension and Benfits are tax free no matter when the benefit was introduced.'  Is the CIA & CIA Supplement tax free for those who are under the 'Old Pension Act?'
I am under the Old Pension and I never applied for any additional benefit except for my Disability Pension so now my CM is applying for all the benefits that I am entitled to.

By the Bay,

Your husband may be partly correct, I will explain;

Those Veterans from the Pension Act receive a benefit called (EIA) Exceptional Incapacity Allowance.

The New Charter Veterans received the (PIA) Permanent Impairment Allowance which is now changed to the (CIA) Career Impact Allowance and of course the Supplement.

The PIA / CIA were really meant to replace the (EIA) Exceptional Incapacity Allowance from the Old Pension Act, to those Veterans in the New Veterans Charter.

The (EIA) Exceptional Incapacity Allowance is Tax Free, the (CIA) Career Impact Allowance is Taxed.  

Both are for life.

Perhaps that's what your husband meant when he said all benefits from the old act are tax free.

NOTE: Those Pension Act Veterans who are not receiving the (EIA) Exceptional Incapacity Allowance and apply post April 01 2006 will automatically fall under the (CIA) Career Impact Allowance.

Those Pension Act Veterans who are receiving the (EIA) Exceptional Incapacity Allowance, are not entitled to apply for the (CIA) Career Impact Allowance OR the (CIAS) Career Impact Allowance Supplement.

Click here for info on the (EIA) Exceptional Incapacity Allowance:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/after-injury/disability-benefits/exceptional-incapacity-allowance

Exceptional Incapacity Allowance Amounts:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/rates#eia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Sun 07 May 2017, 00:33

Grade one is the highest level of compensation. It is for Veterans with the most severe physical, functional and/or mental impairment—for example, those who have quadriplegia or require total care and supervision.

Grade two is for Veterans with impairments such as a single or double limb amputation, or who require recurrent hospitalization for a psychiatric condition.

Grade three is for Veterans with impairments such as those requiring chronic use of medication, or psychiatric care for depressive and anxiety symptoms.

However, there has been enhancements made to the CIA.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/help/faq/career-impact-allowance

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2014-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay on Sun 07 May 2017, 00:20

Bruce72,
Thank you for settling my aguement with my husband!
I love being right but in this situation I wouldn't mind being wrong for once...lol
It would have been icing on the cake if it was tax-free! Razz

Does anyone know how do I find out what my percentage my 'Rating' is? Do they rate your disabilities when you apply for CIA benefits or was it decided when I was first applied for my disability pension?
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Sat 06 May 2017, 23:55

I straddle both the Pension Act and NVC and I receive a monthly pension and CIA grade 3 and the CIA  is unfortunately taxed, but the benefit is also for life.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/news/vac-responds/just-the-facts/career-impact-allowance

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay on Sat 06 May 2017, 22:31

Hi Ya'll
My husband and I are having a heated debate regarding taxes on benefits for those who fall under the Old Pension Act. I told him that the CIA and the CIA supplement is TAXED regardless of Old Pension or NVC. He disagrees with me and said that 'The Old Pension and Benfits are tax free no matter when the benefit was introduced.' Is the CIA & CIA Supplement tax free for those who are under the 'Old Pension Act?'
I am under the Old Pension and I never applied for any additional benefit except for my Disability Pension so now my CM is applying for all the benefits that I am entitled to.

By the Bay
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Thu 04 May 2017, 19:01

PIAS was limited to those of us who were completely incapable of working, regardless of how many years they served. CIAS, on the other hand, can be given to someone who can still work, as long as their income is less than 66+% of their imputed income.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3115
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 04 May 2017, 10:48

Xnurse wrote:I'm confused by the CIA S determination. My CM says it's the same as the former TPI determination. How does that reflect the Diminished Earning Capacity? I'm not able to work, so I'm able to earn 0$, how is that not diminished?

It is not the same as the old TPI, the DEC has a different standard of qualifying then the old TPI.

Diminished Earning Capacity (“DEC”) means that the Veteran is incapacitated by a permanent physical or mental health problem that prevents the Veteran from performing any occupation that would be considered suitable gainful employment;

Suitable Gainful Employment (“employability”) means employment for which the Veteran is reasonably qualified by reason of education, training and experience and that provides a monthly rate of pay equal to at least 66 2/3 per cent of the imputed income of the Veteran.

Imputed Income means the income amount of the Veteran used to calculate the Earnings Loss Benefit for the eligible Veteran:
http://veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2125

CIA Supplement Eligibility

The CIA supplement is payable to a Veteran who:

A. is in receipt of CIA (see the Eligibility section of this policy); and/b]

B. has been determined to have a DEC.

Veterans who have been approved for rehabilitation services may be determined to have a DEC. For guidance regarding the DEC determination click here:  http://veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/1971

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2126[/u]#anchor57637[/b

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/1971

Back to top Go down

Post by Xnurse on Thu 04 May 2017, 10:12

I'm confused by the CIA S determination. My CM says it's the same as the former TPI determination. How does that reflect the Diminished Earning Capacity? I'm not able to work, so I'm able to earn 0$, how is that not diminished?
Xnurse
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2016-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 04 May 2017, 05:52

Artie Simm wrote:I was medically released after 16 years at 40%...so by CIA rules I lost 9 years of possible promotion/income? My claim is in but not yet approved, if approved where would my situation fall on the entitlement scale, as I have some but not all the criteria of Level 2...is it all or nothing? i.e. I can drive my own car, so that keeps me at level 1?

With respect to level 2, I suspect they follow the guidelines of entitlement.

CIA Extent of Impairment and Career Impact

A Veteran’s “years left to serve” plus the Veteran’s age at release, cannot exceed 60, which is the compulsory retirement age for CAF members. “Years left to serve” is the lesser of the subtraction of the Veteran’s years served in the CAF from 25.0 years military career or the number of years a Veteran could have served until compulsory retirement age of 60.

Grade 2: Lesser extent of functional, mental and/or physical impairment than those in Grade 1.

To determine that Veterans have this extent of impairment.

They must meet at least one of the following criteria:

Functionally, these Veterans:  

A require the physical assistance of another person with 50% or more of the tasks associated with transferring and ambulation (Mobility); or 4 Self-care activities.

B take an inordinate amount of time to complete transferring and ambulation (Mobility); or 4 Self-care activities

C have cumulative effects of limitations in most ADLs

D. requires daily supervision and is considered safe when left alone for very short periods of time, such as 2 to 3 hours during the day, or 5 to 6 hours overnight.

OR

Physically, these Veterans include those who have:

A. a complete and permanent loss of vision; or

B. irrecoverable loss of use of an upper and lower limb; or

C. a single upper or lower limb amputation at the hip or shoulder (no viable stump); or

D. double limb amputations, i.e. at or above the ankle for the lower extremity and at or above the wrist for the involved upper extremity (viable stump).

OR

Mentally, these Veterans include those who:

A. suffer from a psychiatric condition with persistent symptoms of extreme impairment of one’s ability to think clearly, respond emotionally, communicate effectively, understand reality and behave appropriately. There is overt evidence of the disease, chronic psychotic illness; or

B. suffer from a psychiatric condition which require long periods of inpatient hospital care or a combination of inpatient hospital care and outpatient care (greater than 8 weeks, cumulative, within a 6 month period); e.g. a full time day program; or

C. require recurrent hospitalization, i.e. greater than 3 times per year, without recovery.

OR

Earning capacity/years left to serve:

i These Veterans have been determined to have a DEC, are capable of earning 33.4% to 66.6% of their imputed income, and have a value of at least 6 years left to serve in CAF; or

ii These Veterans have been determined to have a DEC, are capable of earning 33.3% or less of their imputed income and have a value between 6 to 14 years left to serve in CAF.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/2126[/u]#anchor57637[/b]

Back to top Go down

Post by Artie Simm on Thu 04 May 2017, 01:07

I was medically released after 16 years at 40%...so by CIA rules I lost 9 years of possible promotion/income? My claim is in but not yet approved, if approved where would my situation fall on the entitlement scale, as I have some but not all the criteria of Level 2...is it all or nothing? i.e. I can drive my own car, so that keeps me at level 1?
Artie Simm
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2017-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 03 May 2017, 13:08

cosmo12 wrote:Just received my review. No change I did too many years in the service I am disappointed their new rules are so restrictives

Cosmo

On the old PA system they had the Exceptional Incapacity Allowance which was TAX FREE for Life. It was a fair across the board benefit that had nothing to do with time in, time served or career.

I certainly don't care for the new charter, the CIA and the CIAS seems to be a change that does not improve your chances of moving up a level, or into the CIAS.

Someone should create a poll asking these questions;

CIA level increased due to being reassessed - YES - NO

CIAS approved due to being reassessed - YES - NO

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Wed 03 May 2017, 13:06

Sorry to hear that cosmo. I too was denied an increase and I am also disappointed in the new criteria.

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 on Wed 03 May 2017, 09:09

Just received my review. No change I did too many years in the service I am disappointed their new rules are so restrictives

Cosmo

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top