Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Page 4 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Post by bigrex on Sat 26 Mar 2016, 16:44

Nav, they would not be able to reduce the CIA without changing the legislation, since the base amount is written into the NVC, and all the increases thus far are due to COLA. And it would be next to impossible to explain taking away cost of living adjustments, after they've already been made. The only way that the GoC could limit the CIA amounts, would be to artificially minimize the CPI for a few years, but that would effect a lot more than just Veterans.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3079
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

CIA/DEC/PIA supplement

Post by srproctor on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 22:33

"Expanding access to higher grades of the Permanent Impairment Allowance to better support veterans who have had their career options limited by a service-related illness or injury. "

If your TPI'ed/DEC'ed & Grade 3 or 2 PIA/CIA, then I bet it's automatic Grade 1 PIA/CIA with supplement.  Ya, I know what your saying, that's a bold prediction, but hey, whatever.

The idea that a "diminished earnings capacity" designation is not first the highest level of the "career impact allowance", would be contrary to the above statement.  If the capacity to earn income has been been diminished by a service related condition (permanent and severe), to that point that it is not the highest level of the CIA/PIA first, it would in effect be deminishing only to the point of not being designated that next grade level (i.e. Grade 2 to Grade 1) and therefore cease being "diminished".  Allow me to explain.

Grade 3 & TPI is the majority of the pool.  Guy Parent knows this too. Therefore, it is this movement toward grade one within the grades that government is looking for Veterans to access.  The key to this automatic Grade 1 would be through a TPI/DEC designation.  Regardless of the age of the Veteran, the career advancement and/or earnings per year would be negatively impacted by the condition.  For example, a 65 + plus retired colonel, with arthritic joint pain who practiced surgery for several years after their service, and can not continue because of an accelerated age related joint pain, would need help addressing their diminished earnings capacity.  How else would this be done if not through the higher levels of the CIA/PIA and DEC supplement?  For a younger Veteran, any loss in their career advancement would be addressed over the course of the Veteran's life, and the natural progression of their respective yearly salary-given their education and specialized training, would be applied to the corresponding CIA grade level.  Or maybe age has no issue at all, and its Grade 1 PIA/CIA with Supplement, who knows??

On the other hand, the Feds might just simply re-write the grades, with a more career-centric emphasis, and move away from ADL's and the pain and suffering associated with the Awards and VIP/FCRB.  Then again, they might make one grade for everybody, or perhaps a bazillion more to complicate matters.  Maybe not knowing could be a grade level, cause waiting sucks.

Once more, with $75K in rehabilitation services at their disposal for non-TPI/DEC on ELB, this is a cost effective option from their rehab. instruments only if they are able to see 66 2/3rd of the pre release salary for the sake of the Veteran.  That is difficult, to say the least, and perhaps impossible to foresee in the dynamic job market of 2016.  Moreover, they don't want to appear as though they are dumping the issue of uncertainty on another agency to handle.  Therefore, keeping their chips in the game of career impact policies, and not outsourcing to CDN March of Dimes as an example, is responsible governance.  Simply planning on boosting the taxable income of the Veteran, instead of asking an agency to take on the project with the hopes they are successful with borderline DEC/TPI cases is a good solution, in my humble opinion.  So it may come as a shock to some, but the gov't is really good at creating jobs for the sake of taxable income, so don't expect them to go cheap on us, especially when Veterans just wish to access their inalienable right to make a living for themselves and their families.

I am both curious and excited to see what they introduce with this new bill C-12 having passed the first reading.  The government acted as promised, and after royal assent of the budget, the policies are sure to follow.  For those already designated TPI/DEC on a Grade 3 PIA/CIA, like myself, I can't see cut backs.

Lastly, this new CIA and supplement structure is all about careers and earnings, like any good financial benefit should be, so getting it correct could take some time, but with the other measures introduced this feels like the beginning of something special with this government.  Needless to say, I am still trying to prepare for that sinking feeling in the seat of my pants in case I am way off.

Any insight would be a welcome reprieve from this waiting game with Ottawa.

Take Care.

Proctor

Last edited by srproctor on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 23:31; edited 9 times in total (Reason for editing : more data)

srproctor
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 11:37

Proctor - Very well read. I am one of those, TPI/PIA level 3 of course. PIAS. I appealed my level but, it got turned down of crse. I quess it a waiting game to see if some get letters. God I hope we dont have to apply again for something else, or new level. VVV...
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 515
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by srproctor on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 21:42

...the changes are most likely to come across the board.  

With the increase in the ELB by 15%, the access to the higher grades of the PIA will also be revisited to reflect this increase of the ELB.  ELB's 15% increase foreshadows these changes within the CIA/PIA. Although it is not written just yet what the CIA/PIA & Supplement will be, the table is set by those changes to the ELB, so the access to the higher and perhaps the additional amounts within the grades, are destined for roughly the same changes as the ELB increase.  To have this happen for Veterans on PIA/CIA & Supplement, access will be granted to higher grades of the PIA/CIA allowance.

That said, it is possible for those with the TPI/DEC designation to have their PIA/CIA & Supplement benefits exceed the ELB 15% increase, for the simple fact that all options are off the table with respect to the rehabilitation plan.  Access to the higher grades for an enlisted member, ironically, is roughly the same amount as those on a rehabilitation plan who will be receiving an ELB increase of 15%.  

ELB is a benefit that is income & age sensitive and is now capped at 90% pre-release salary.  A 15% increase of this benefit from 75% can be topped up by either higher grades of the PIA/CIA, or from the ELB program itself in my particular situation, if I hadn't already been designated TPI.  So, the majority of Veterans like us who have a PIA/CIA Gr. 3 and the TPI designation, this couldn't have been offered to those on ELB without addressing first those who are not as likely to see the career earnings number as those who complete a rehab plan.

It could be another 3D application (deny, delay and eventually death) from the local office, or a letter addressed with the changes.  I pray it's the latter, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by srproctor on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 22:49; edited 15 times in total (Reason for editing : More DATA)

srproctor
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 22:10

What got increased 20 percent?

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by srproctor on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 22:30

Just edited the post. I did say 20% increase. The ELB is not a 20% increase. It is 15%. Thanks.

srproctor
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 30 Mar 2016, 11:11

Proctor, the amounts for CIA and supp are not going to change. They are set out in schedule 2 of the NVC legislation. C-12 only changes what they are called. The only thing we are not sure of, is how they are going to determine the various levels, but we might have to wait until it comes into force before the regulations are made public.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by srproctor on Wed 30 Mar 2016, 13:05

Yes..I agree completely.

I am just installing the app for the RRS feed on the Bill C-12.  I suggest you all do the same to be given a time line for this.

Check out the Bill C-12 for the updates...below is link.  Unfortunately, because I am a new member, I am not able to post an external link.  So, to trick this computer program into thinking that I am not uploading a link, I simply removed the "www" of the http.

parl.gc.ca/content/hoc/Bills/421/Government/C-12/C-12_1/C-12_1.PDF

Last edited by srproctor on Wed 30 Mar 2016, 13:39; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : More Data)

srproctor
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 30 Mar 2016, 16:21

Well, the ELB portion of this is going to change as of October 1st. The changes to PIA, and lump sum top up aren't going to happen until April 1, 2017. There will be a new budget tabled before most of these changes even occur. which is BS, IMHO. If your going to announce changes as part of a budget, the changes should have to be made in that fiscal year.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 on Wed 30 Mar 2016, 16:28

Changes to PIA should be sooner then that, the bill doesnt say anything about this Bigrex we all have to wait and see this bill go thru the house of commons and see the regulation soon after.

Cosmo

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 30 Mar 2016, 17:01

Coming into Force

37 (1) Sections 1, 2, 4, 6 to 18 and 20 to 35 come into force on April 1, 2017.
    (2) Sections 3, 5 and 19 come into force on October 1, 2016.

So sections 18 is

18 The Act is amended by replacing “permanent impairment allowance” with “career impact allowance” in the following provisions:
(a) the definition compensation in subsection 2(1);
(b) the heading before section 38;
(c) the portion of subsection 38(1) before paragraph (a) and subsection (1.‍1);
(d) the portion of section 39 before paragraph (a);
(e) subsection 40(1);
(f) the description of B in subsection 40.‍1(4);
(g) the description of B in subsection 40.‍2(4);
(h) subsection 40.‍5(1);
(i) the portion of subsection 88(4) before paragraph (a);
(j) paragraph 94(e); and
(k) items 1 and 2 of Schedule 2.

So the sections that are coming into force in October are

3 The description of A in subsection 19(1) of the Act is replaced by the following:
A is 90% of the veteran’s imputed income for a month; and

5 Subsection 23(1) of the Act is replaced by the following:

Amount of benefit

23 (1) Subject to the regulations, the monthly amount of an earnings loss benefit under section 22 that is payable in respect of a member or a veteran is 90% of the member’s or veteran’s imputed income for a month.
Period before October 1, 2016

19 (1) For greater certainty, the amount of an earnings loss benefit that is payable in respect of a period before October 1, 2016 is to be determined in accordance with subsection 19(1) or 23(1) of the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act and the regulations made under subsection 19(2) or 23(4) of that Act, as those provisions of that Act and those regulations read during the period in respect of which the benefit is payable, regardless of the date on which the benefit is paid.

Period after September 30, 2016
(2) The amount of an earnings loss benefit that is payable in respect of a period after September 30, 2016 is to be determined as if subsections 19(1) and 23(1) of the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act and the regulations made under subsections 19(2) and 23(4) of that Act — as those provisions of that Act and those regulations read during the period in respect of which the benefit is payable — had been in force since April 1, 2006, regardless of whether or not the veteran or the member’s or veteran’s survivor or orphan was in receipt of an earnings loss benefit before October 1, 2016.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by teentitan on Wed 30 Mar 2016, 17:21

A possible reason for the CIA changing in 2017 might be due to the Equitas lawsuit. This was one of the points of the lawsuit and on 1 May the GoC and Equitas go back infront of the BC judge. If it's accepted then it has to go thru the legislative process.

Something had to be in writing before 1 May to show the judge the "framework" is on the books and the rules will most likely be presented at that time by VAC for the judge to decide.

Just speculating....
teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3248
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by cosmo12 on Wed 30 Mar 2016, 17:47

Sorry bigrex, i missread

C.

cosmo12
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2013-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 30 Mar 2016, 21:35

No problem Cosmo. It is only normal to assume that when something is announced in a budget, that it would be enacted once the budget is passed, or at least shortly afterwards, within reason. To me, 13 months later is not a reasonable expectation.

I'm just trying to figure out where all the money is going to go. The budget allotted for $3743 million this 2015/16 fiscal year, that ends in 2 days, $438Million, for this coming fiscal year, 2016/17, and $421million for the fiscal year after that. But if the larger planned financial expenditures, the lump sum top up, and CIA expansion, aren't even going to happen until the 2017/18 fiscal year, why did the budget not demonstrate that fact?
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 6608 on Thu 31 Mar 2016, 00:20

Bigrex, apparently they are taking the cost up front here is a quote

" Based on current projections of demand for the programs, the Government
expects that $1.6 billion over five years, starting in 2016–17, would flow to
veterans and their families in the form of higher direct payments. However,
public sector accounting standards require that the present value of all
increased future payments to eligible recipients be recognized up front when
changes are made to veterans benefit plans. The budgetary expense associated
with the increase in benefits for eligible recipients amounts to $5.6 billion over
six years, starting in 2015–16."

Cheers
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top