Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Page 6 of 29 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17 ... 29  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Career Impact Allowance (CIA)

Post by Bruce72 on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 20:07

I hope anyone who needed it took a screen shot of the information I had posted here yesterday. I've since removed it. After further consideration I thought it wise, lest VAC staff saw it and it wound up being used against me somehow. Sounds paranoid, but I'll blame that on PTSD.

Last edited by bruce72 on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 12:11; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling & grammar removed personal information)

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2014-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 20:55

I think a review is the way to go too. If I re apply, the date of the new application is used to determine the eligibility start date. In my opinion, my application shouldn't have been submitted by VAC because it wasnt complete.
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 21:14

I'm thinking you are on the right path too. †It seems pretty straight forward, †you were not informed properly of the documents you we're responsible to submit or what was required overall.

Last edited by bruce72 on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 21:18; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : completed my thought.)

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 21:20

They didn't even let me know if I was able to submit anything. I applied on the advice of my Psych and they neglected to contact him or give me the opportunity to ask for an updated assessment, let alone tell me the impact it would have. I appreciate the support.
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bruce72 on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 21:26

Feel free to take a screen shot of the list of documents used in my particular situation as an example to show all involved that you want a similar list made available and or as submissions. Then there's no confusion.

Good luck

Bruce

Omnia mea mecum porto

Bruce72
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 21:37

Well, I agree that if it said that the reason it was denied was because the supporting documentation was out of date, and not because the documentation failed to prove a permanent impairment, whoever was processing your file, should requested that you have a new one completed before rendering a decision. But I do not recall ever seeing anywhere that states that assessments has to be current, especially if the assessments that they do have state that a condition is severe and permanent.

In fact, the act states

"Examination or assessment

† †40 (1) The Minister may, for the purpose of determining whether a veteran may continue to receive a permanent impairment allowance, require the veteran to undergo a medical examination or an assessment by a person specified by the Minister."

So the Act does not state that a current medical assessment is required, except for continued benefits. And the NVC regulations state

"42 An application for a permanent impairment allowance or an increase to a permanent impairment allowance shall be made in writing and shall include

† †(a) medical reports or other records that document the veteranís health problem creating the permanent and severe impairment or the total and permanent incapacity, as the case may be;

† †(b) a declaration attesting to the truth of the information provided; and

† †(c) at the request of the Minister, any other information or documents that are necessary to enable the Minister to assess whether the veteran is eligible for a permanent impairment allowance or the amount payable.

and

"45 (1) A person who is in receipt of a permanent impairment allowance shall provide, on request, medical records, reports or any other information or documents that are necessary to enable the Minister to assess the personís continued eligibility for the permanent impairment allowance or the amount payable."

Neither the Act, nor the regulations state that the medical documentation has to be less than two years old , to be considered valid. So basically, if the adjudicator felt that the assessment was not current enough, to make an informed decision, they should have requested new documentation to confirm the assessment, instead of simply denying it. So in my opinion, I would submit the new assessment, and if approved, but only to the current application, I would appeal the assessment date. Then submit both assessments to VRAB, showing that your condition has not changed significantly, and that the initial application was wrongfully denied, since they had failed to live up to their obligation of due diligence, by not requesting additional information before making their decision.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3055
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 22:01

And that my brothers... is why I come here.
That is exactly what I will do.
I appreciate it Bruce and Big Rex
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Fri 26 Aug 2016, 23:32

And how would they expect to be able to establish the amount payable, without a "current" assessment! I think they royally messed this one up. I'm going to re apply like Big Rex said and when it's approved(extremely confident) I'll take both and appeal the assessment date.
Thanks guys.
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 12:34

Just a friendly little reminder to anyone including vet1234 who wrote "They obviously didn't use due diligence with respect to my application."
What did you assume the action of any GoC/VaC diligence would ultimately accomplish?
Willing to bet your life on a typo?

Don't ever forget that due diligence begins with each and every one of us. As best we can.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 12:40

unfortunately pinger is right to the extreme . unfortunately we are in a spot where before we deal with a COG agency or agent we have to learn how to do their job properly so we can tell them how to do it . that still doesn't guarantee the idiots will do it correctly but it helps .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 13:19

I totally understand that is the reality...
The issue I have is that mental health is often a barrier for exacting due diligence.
If someone has a disabled child, it is their caregivers responsibility to take care and protect them. If you are a disabled Vet... you're on your own?
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 14:30

yup and that's how the system has evolved . initially a system that was set up to proactively help vets has turned into a system to deny vets help . its FRACKED !!!!

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 14:50

Hi vet1234, you mentioned †"The issue I have is that mental health is often a barrier for exacting due diligence."
I was going to further "as best as we can" but didn;t want to ramble.

Say for instance... my own due diligence turns to warm jello in the rubber room, Say I can't think or make well informed decisions.
Well, That's why I have a 2nd and 3rd ic past my power of attorney who are in my current loop.
It is really not that hard to do... BZZZZ Sorry I lied!
But what about trying to access or apply for vac benefits from a rubber room... literally?
How about that? How in heck does that work out if I'm fracking Napoleon or the King of freaking Spain? king
Hell, do cm's take applications to prisons? I don't think so. Perhaps VETS Canada tries to? Until your invisible... I should really find out.
Must hop along. But I think you get the gist of it. If I can't pull up my socks, wipe my butt, or send in my application you gotta find someone who can ahead of time.

Stay well everyone.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Vet1234 on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 16:19

Funny how I was just reading about Keith Neville in the VRAB thread...
they try to take our voice too!
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sat 27 Aug 2016, 16:36

I agree that the Veteran has to be their own advocate in most cases. But in this case, if the adjudicator had looked at the exact same paperwork, but merely with a later date, would it have been approved? If yes, they have the power to, and should have requested a new assessment.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3055
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 29 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17 ... 29  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top