Veterans Affairs “rounding off” of claims provides unfair processing of benefits, says veteran

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Veterans Affairs “rounding off” of claims provides unfair processing of benefits, says veteran

Post by Trooper on Mon 11 Apr 2016, 06:01

Defence Watch received this letter from a reader, who recently retired from the Canadian Forces:

Recently I received my first benefit from VAC, tinnitus. Overall I was impressed with the process including the assistance from the RCL Alberta NWT branch in Edmonton with the paperwork. One thing that annoys me is VAC’s rounding up and down of claims.

For example, my tinnitus was deemed as a 6% disability by VAC but rounded down to 5% payment. This means I was ‘short changed’ money by just over $3000. This method of rounding down, or up for that matter, means some veterans are paid more for their benefits while others are paid less.

Since there is a new government in Ottawa I wrote a letter to the minister of Veteran Affairs Canada, Kent Hehr, about this practice and cc’d the PM, MND and my MP mainly for their education about the practice as I doubt they have ever seen any benefits paperwork. I hope with a review of the Veterans charter by this government they might actually make changes for the better and to be frank make them retroactive to when the new charter came into effect; I won’t hold my breath on that though.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/veterans-affairs-rounding-off-of-claims-provides-unfair-processing-of-benefits-says-veteran
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5265
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Veterans Affairs “rounding off” of claims provides unfair processing of benefits, says veteran

Post by 1993firebird on Mon 11 Apr 2016, 09:10

I made this statement years ago , after my first claim in 2002 , I said just pay the percentage that is granted which makes it 100% accurate not more money or less money but after years of seeing how illogical things in this world are I am trying to accept more and more and let things go.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Veterans Affairs “rounding off” of claims provides unfair processing of benefits, says veteran

Post by BinRat on Mon 11 Apr 2016, 12:05

Well I lost in one claim but gained in a 2nd claim by the exact same thing.

Now I can't remember if it was on forums post, and or in the Chatroom, when a few of us Joined
the chatroom to discuss the budget..

my one claim which had me shorted cause it was 22%, paid 20%, next one was a 5% claim, Plus the 2%
that was sitting around, and 1% QOL which made it 8%, and it got paid at 10% award.

So technically you don't loose it, it still sits there and will come into play if you have another claim put in, though
if you don't then yes that 1 or 2% does sit there in which you don't receive funds for

But yes, you can loose $$$ as I said if you don't get another application in play or later on.

BinRat
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by 1993firebird on Mon 11 Apr 2016, 14:06

I did not know they keep the percentage that you did not get and add it to your next percentage for awards , I know they did it for pensions. So you got the 2% added on to your next award plus another 2% rounded up for the same award. That is better if it is years later because the maximum amount increases each year. My issue is being over 100% and not able to get the amount over which is 10% pension.

1993firebird
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1582
Registration date : 2013-01-10

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top