The Defence Department has sent a soldier suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder a bill for $427.97

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Defence Department has sent a soldier suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder a bill for $427.97

Post by Rags on Wed 06 Mar 2013, 12:07

I dont know where to really start on your topic heading. It is so vast yet so specific. As with the disorder kyou can get lost inside the vast empty spaces of the thought.

All I can say is that most of what we hear from the docs on the subject is wrong on the why and what it is but they are accurate on the how to fix it.

One must truly understand the make up of the brain and the interactions of the different parts of the brain coupled with the evolution of our brain though the ages and why our brain evolved to what it is today. Only then can one grasp the complicated inner workings that are now broken and why they broke and for what purpose they broke. Then and only then can we start to repair it.

If I may please bear with me as I walk this path with anyone who wants to know what I have found out on my own journey. You may not agree you may not like what I have to say on all points but it comes from allot of work with allot of really good and really bad doctors those I fired and those I kept. this will take several parts and installments so to get it right as best I can I will take a few days and some time to post it in parts. It is hard on my own mind being a sufferer to to go down this road again.

I will break it into parts as follows:
Part 1 - Combat Stress and its eventual untreated change to PTSD. (not to be confused they are different)
Part 2 - Defining Combat Stress why we get it and why its normal.
Part 3 - Defining PTSD why we get it and why its normal if untreated.
Part 4 - Inner workings of the Comabt stress and PTSD brain.
Part 5 - The fix, how do you fix Combat Stress....ya dont its good!
Part 6 - The fix, how do you fix PTSD......ya dont let it occur!
Part 7 - Now that Part 6 failed how do you repair the PTSD brain.

I can only hope Teen is right and important people read this in the med community and get a feel for what they know and dont no matter what their degree......most of them have it wrong less a few. As many here have said .."you cant know or understand us unless you have been at the sharp end of the smoking gun or the good end looking over the smoke of what you just did."

For my Brothers and Sisters

Part 1 will be done tonight.

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Re: The Defence Department has sent a soldier suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder a bill for $427.97

Post by CanadianInfidel on Thu 07 Mar 2013, 03:35

RobbieRoyal, you share such wisdom about our ongoing plight for survival. I believe you should be a direct spokesman to GOC, VAC, VRAB, for some of us which haven't found our voices yet. We have become mere statistics, numbers. We are thought of but once a year on November 11th. We gain the publics sympathy, then like a bad dream, we are forgotten. We carry on, like all good soldiers do, suffering in silence. PTSD, letters that has forever changed who I am
CanadianInfidel
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianInfidel on Thu 07 Mar 2013, 07:42

I was a heavy smoker while serving. Once I was released, my wife got me a book called "Stop smoking Now" by Allen Carr. This along with ecigs help me quit. I'm a believer of ecigarettes cause your not inhaling tar, carbon, and so on. Just water vapours and nicotine. It's been a year I've been smoke free.
CanadianInfidel
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2013-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by BoltAction308 on Thu 07 Mar 2013, 16:01

Funny you should post this because just today i went and bought myself a tin of smokeless tobacco (chewing tobacco). Now, in my head I see it working but will I be able to keep at it and slowly get away from chewing? Who knows but wat I do know is I need nicotine to calm me down.

In regards to the e-cigarette, i found I had a chronic bronchitis when i was on it. I'm sick of smoking! Maybe switching the delivery method of getting the nicotine in my system will be the trick?
BoltAction308
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2013-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post by By the Bay on Sun 10 Mar 2013, 12:53

Cigarettes my old friend.
I was a chain smoker until 1 year ago.
I didn't use any gum or patches. I could not afford it.
I had to make a choice smoking or food for the family.
By the Bay
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2013-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags on Mon 25 Mar 2013, 23:55

Sorry I have been absent from this topic and not posted the abstracts from my essays on PTSD. Im having a hard time extracting the details to fit into a small paragraph each. Plus its hard to revisit this dark subject. The data is good just having to relive why I wrote it is hard.

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by BoltAction308 on Tue 26 Mar 2013, 17:26

Very candid and heartfelt RR!

For myself, I was both embarrassed and ashamed of getting a dx of PTSD. I don't know why I felt that way, but I did.

The worse is bumping into old acquaintances and seeing them MWO's and CWO's and thinking to myself "Damned!"

Then the inevitable question or comment comes up such as "wow I wished I was in your shoes to get a pension for life" My first gut instinct is to drop them on the spot but I just tell them to be careful what they wish for and should really think twice how they say things because it comes across as if we are faking it.

I take it one day at a time nowadays. Some days are good, some days are shit!
BoltAction308
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2013-01-14

Back to top Go down

Mental Health Benefit

Post by Brayon69 on Mon 15 Apr 2013, 19:38

Hello, I need a bit of guidance to those who have the experience in benefits from Mental Health. I have been recently diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder None Otherwise Specified(subthreshold PTSD) onset my second tour. I just sent in my claim. I am currently going thru individual/group sessions. What percentage would I fall in as far mental health condition due to service. I thank you very much and open you to comments.

Le Brayon

Brayon69
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-04-15

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Tue 16 Apr 2013, 01:45

Brayon, that is impossible for anyone here to answer. It is dependant on your individual circumstances ( the cause of the issue) and your symptoms.

Your first step should be to read this

VAC table of Disabilities - Psychiatric Conditions

This should give you a general idea as to how VAC classifies mental health disorders for the purpose of disability claims.

Best of luck.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3078
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove96 on Wed 15 May 2013, 11:55

My case worker recommended I apply for this and is sending me a claim package for this also.
I found reading through the tables a bit difficult.
Silly I know but seeing and recognizing symptoms that I have is unnerving.
I haven't received the paperwork yet and don't know what to write. It is so personal.

Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 15 May 2013, 13:12

Dove, my best suggestion is to have your husband help fill it in, if you are married. You need someone who is in your life every day and sees your symptoms. It helped when I filled in mine, because I didn't realize that I would go days without eating, or needed a reminder to go grab a shower, because I just didn't care if I starved or stank, but my wife did. She noticed when I didn't sleep, or all I wanted to do was sleep, and when we filled out the paperwork, she was really able to voice how my illness affected my life. The other person may not know the reason for your illness, but if you have a previously approved physical disability, VAC may link it to that as consequential, even if you don't, since that is what happened in my case.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove96 on Wed 15 May 2013, 13:23

It is linked.
I relate to the eating and sleeping thing. Avoiding people, especially anyone that knew me before my "condition" is a big issue. I force myself but the anxiety is overwhelming.
It is good to have a partner to rely on. Mine tries his best to help when he can. Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Dove96
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Wed 15 May 2013, 14:36

Mine wasn't directly linked, but VAC thought it better to link it to link it to the disability than accept that I was being harassed by my superiors for well over a year because of my disability. How many Co's out there actually threaten to release someone for being an administrative burden, so that I wouldn't be entitled to my CF pension, after just having 2 major knee surgeries within 4 months. I learned about a pain clinic through my doctor and the next one was 2 months away and was one afternoon per week for a month. I submitted my request though the chain, and registered for a spot. In spite of the 2 months notice, my CO only signed off 2 days before the first session, and then I was given a verbal warning for registering before getting approval. It was a complete cluster. It finally got so bad that my doctor put me on medical leave for the last seven months of my 15 year career because my CO refused to allow me the courtesy of being employed elsewhere, even if he didn't want me, and when I went in to sign my PER, he actually said to me that even though I was on medical leave, I "belonged" to him and he could whatever he wanted to me. My blood still boils thinking about it.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove96 on Wed 15 May 2013, 15:50

Abuse of authority is out there alive and kicking. (pun intended). People using their position to "prove" they have control or that they don't believe you are truly in pain or should "suck it up" are idiots.
Too many superiors and even peers assume you are faking it - even with multiple surgeries they only see that you are "off sick". The old saying "Sick lame and lazy" rears its ugly head and colours the actions of others.
Again I say IDIOTS.

Dove96
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

PTSD

Post by PGV on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 16:12

For most 20 years, half my life I have dealt with PTSD, CSR or whatever you want to call it. The fact is with constant daily reminders of why my body hurts and I can't hear so well anymore, I struggle, a lot. Just as we all do, I have my baggage. A friend I made while doing group sessions said, "We all have baggage, it is not how we carry it but what we do when we drop a piece. Do you throw the rest down and kick it around the room in a tantrum or do you pick it up and carry on?" I have tried my best to pick up the pieces. We all have to try. It has cost me all my friends, all my military family and now recently my marriage. It could have been much worse if I hadn't fought so hard and continue to fight. I need to see my son grow up in as healthy a home as I can give him.
I went camping last weekend and overheard and argument in the site next to me. Two people were at it over our soldiers coming back messed up, hurt or even dead. The lady was saying it was our own fault if we come back F'd up and that we shouldn't be there at all. While I think her husband was saying that we were there fighting for our freedoms and that we live in the country we do because we did......etc. It took everything for me not to walk over and do something I would be in jail for now. I had been drinking and this was a major test of my character. (my hands shake just writing this) I ran into him a few minutes later and told him what I heard and had to set him straight. I said to him, " We don't go over seas to fight for our freedom, we go over to fight for those people that can't fight for themselves." I have been distant and had a headache ever since. I know I will have a big bag of crap to talk to my psychological when I see him.
So I have learned in two decades that it never gets better, I just learn to have more self control. Even if I wish I didn't. The whole thing with SISIP is driving me mad as I came to grips with how the government screwed us for the money years ago. This "lottery" is testing my limits. I have dropped my baggage and I don't want to pick it up today but I don't have a choice. My son is here this week and I can't put him through it.
My suggestion to all who suffer is to find someone who can provide empathy not sympathy. I got lucky and wish the best for all of you living moment to moment.

Chimo
I know the pieces fit because I watched them fall away.
PGV
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-07-31

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top