Mefloquine / Topics & Posted Articles

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mefloquine / Topics & Posted Articles

Post by johnny211 on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 11:56

I was just wondering if anyone knows what year we started using Mefloquine? I did UNDOF Damascus in 80. I have a slight memory of being given something there, that made most of us sick, but I cannot remember what it was. And it is not in my needle book. But who knows what crap we where given. Just throwing it out there for you in the know on this stuff.. VVV...
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 550
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 12:18

Johnny..according to this article since the 1970s...1990s for Canada... in particular to the Canadian Airborne Regiment in 1993 for Somalia mission.

The file on mefloquine
Mefloquine developed by U.S. army and Roche in the 1970s to prevent malaria and treat it.

Used widely by travellers and armed forces for years.

Known side effects for some users include nightmares, depression, cognitive impairment, aggressive behaviour and paranoia.

Issued to Canadian Airborne Regiment in 1993 for Somalia mission.

In 2009, drug no longer on the preferred list in U.S. military

In 2013, U.S. military bans the use by special forces after the FDA issues strong warnings about side effects.

FDA continues to approve the drug as long as it is properly prescribed.

Still used by forces in the UK, Australia and Canada.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/insight/new-push-for-ban-on-mefloquine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 02 Feb 2016, 12:29

Veterans anxious to hear from minister Kent Hehr on mefloquine issue

Canada’s new Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr is “under the gun” to respond to ex-soldiers’ concerns about the negative impacts of mefloquine, an anti-malaria drug, says John Dowe, who runs a new three-country advocacy group.

“We’d like him to sit down with us and work cooperatively on this,” said Dowe, a former Airborne Regiment soldier who served in the ill-fated 1993 Somalia mission.

Hehr’s office confirmed the Calgary minister received a letter on the subject.

The department also told the Journal it encourages all veterans who think they have a disability “including PTSD” to apply for assistance.

“Every situation is unique and we work with veterans on a case-by-case basis,” said spokesperson Sarah McMaster.

But Dowe said the department should respond to new research showing the drug could have long-term side effects, possible nervous system damage and produce symptoms similar to PTSD.

The drug, first used by the Canadian Airborne regiment in the early 199os, produces side effects such as depression, anxiety, nightmares, paranoia and aggressive behaviour.

These side effects came to prominence in the Somalia mission as a potential factor in the beating death of a Somali teen by two soldiers.

Dowe said he’s still pushing for an apology for the dubious way the drug was issued to 900 Airborne soldiers in 1992-93.

The military ignored the manufacturers’ requirement to individually assess each soldier for risk factors, provided no warning about when to stop taking the drug, and did not monitor side effects, he said.

“This raises major ethical issues,” said Dowe.

Many Airbone soldiers felt they were “guinea pigs ” in the drug trial for the U.S. manufacture, Roche — a view backed up the 1999 auditor general’s report on the use of mefloquine in 1992-93, says Dowe.

That report notes that the drug, developed by the U.S. army, was available only under a clinical trial or “safety monitoring study” in Canada in 1990-93.

That required informed consent of those taking the drug and close monitoring of the side effects. But neither of those things happened.

The soldiers were not asked for informed consent (not compatible with military discipline), and while they were briefed about possible side effects, they were not given written warnings, says the AG.

Also, the defence department did not monitor adverse reactions as required by the study, said the AG’s report. As a result, data about “the safety or efficacy of the drug in field conditions was not gathered.”

The AG report also notes that pilots were not given mefloquine due to concerns about their fine motor skills.

The UK minister issued an apology last month to all soldiers without individual assessment for risk factors.

That gave encouragement to soldiers in three countries, Canada, Australia and the UK, fighting to have the drug banned and treatment expanded, said Dowe, of the International Veterans Mefloquine Alliance.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/national/veterans-anxious-to-hear-from-minister-kent-hehr-on-mefloquine-issue

Back to top Go down

News Report ~ Royal Canadian Navy member charged in Japan is son of top military official

Post by Ex Member on Fri 05 Feb 2016, 21:14

A member of the Royal Canadian Navy charged in Japan with a drug offence is the son of a high-ranking military official, CTV News has learned.

Ian Greenwood, a member of HMCS Winnipeg’s crew and son of retired Real Admiral Richard Greenwood, has been charged with drug use following a drug test and he remains in Japanese custody.

A civilian fitness instructor was also charged with drug use.

None of the charges have been proven in court.

Rear Admiral Gilles Couturier, commander of Maritime Forces Pacific, called the allegations troubling.

“This will be an excellent example to show all military members and those in the Royal Canadian Navy that this kind of behaviour and substance abuse will not be tolerated,” he said.

The charges follow a port visit to Tokyo by HMCS Winnipeg, a Halifax-class frigate with a crew of about 250 personnel.

Canada does not have a military-to-military prisoner exchange agreement with Japan.

The federal government is providing consular assistance.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadian-charged-in-japan-is-son-of-top-military-official-1.2766930

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 18:33

Ah you Navy folks,,lol. Ok, I know us Army lads have done our share of crowbar hotel..
I was only on one ship, so can someone tell me why we had a Civi fitness instr, or
maybe they all are now. Tks..VVV
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 19:27

Well m I couldn't tell ya, the only exercise I got was when I could ditch my fellow officers in the ward room and get me an invitation to the main cave for a session of moose milk then out with the boys in port! The other exercise was dialing the sat phone in the ccr trying to get updates for Days of our lives!

Last edited by Navrat on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 19:54; edited 1 time in total

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 19:38

Lol @ Nav!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 21:04

They got rid of the Peri trade, back in the late 90's, and went with civilian fitness instructors. ironically many of whom were ex-Peri's, and getting paid more than they did while serving. Then at approximately the same time, it was decided that anytime a ship was scheduled for a lengthy deployment, they would pay one of these civies an exorbitant amount of money to sail with them, to schedule fitness classes, and if possible, conduct fitness tests.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3103
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 21:45

Pictured you as a victor newman fan nav.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 22:24

I've been told you can't tell me or victor apart! I think I'll donate my fedora to the Canadian military museum in Ottawa if Teen will just say"  Trudeau has my vote if he keeps his election promises and brings back the PA for veterans which my leader Stevie Harper wouldn't after 10 longgggggggggg years in power! Because isn't it about doing what's best for the collective good of all veterans even if we don't vote for a certain party!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sat 06 Feb 2016, 23:49

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 05:51

LMAO Sparrow

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 06:03

No kidding...they got rid of the Peri's within the service...learn something new everyday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 10:10

Sparrow, how did you get my passport photo?

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by johnny211 on Sun 07 Feb 2016, 10:22

trooper - I'm with you, didn't really pay much attention to Peri's. As I was always in Army units, and very rarely seen the inside of the gym. To busy outside, doing full kit marches, runs in the trg area, lifting logs, obstacle crses. Damn, no wonder my body creeks every morning getting out of bed..lol, VVV..
johnny211
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top