Widow of Canadian veteran says she lost home because of Liberalís broken promise

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Widow of Canadian veteran says she lost home because of Liberalís broken promise

Post by Guest on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 19:40

Widow of Canadian veteran says she lost home because of Liberalís broken promise.

The widow of a Canadian veteran says she'll be heading to court after Veterans Affairs broke its promise.
Dawn Collinsí husband, Wayne, died in 2012 from a condition similar to Lou Gehrig's Disease. The couple always believed the illness was related to toxic chemicals he handled in the Navy in the mid-60s.
After years of fighting, they were promised nearly $160,000 from Veterans Affairs.

But the cheque never came.
ďThey didn't pay,Ē said Dawn Collins. "No ambulance bills, no nothing.Ē
Collins says she was forced to pay $3,000 for an ambulance bill, and lost another $6,000 in the sale of her Dartmouth duplex.
But with money running out, she says she had no choice.
Collins says Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr reviewed her file and denied her claim. The situation has left her heartbroken and taking anti-depressants.
Hehr previously told reporters his staff will review Collinsí file, but seemed less committed during a CTV interview a short time later.
ďI can't comment on any individual case,Ē said Hehr. ďBut what I can say in that situation is when you hear people who struggle, it's never easy being minister."
Longtime former Veterans Affairs critic Peter Stoffer has told Collins that Hehr is well within his authority to write a cheque and close the file, but Collins says he refused to do that.
Collins says she wonít rest until she gets whatís rightfully hers.
"It's going to court,Ē she said. ďWe're going to federal court.Ē

With her house already gone, Collins says she has nothing left to lose.

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/widow-of-canadian-veteran-says-she-lost-home-because-of-liberal-s-broken-promise-1.2944244

Back to top Go down

Re: Widow of Canadian veteran says she lost home because of Liberalís broken promise

Post by Guest on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 22:28

Wish her all the luck and it's too bad that going to court is probably her best bet

Back to top Go down

Re: Widow of Canadian veteran says she lost home because of Liberalís broken promise

Post by Dannypaj on Tue 14 Jun 2016, 06:54

There goes more money if she loses.
Broken system? Oh yes, yes it is.
Lawyers are like garbage bags that are piled up around this great country of Canada.
Our most educated (dumbass lawyers) fighting the Canadian Armed Forces members in the court system, what a shame.
Hypocrites comes to mind.

Pull the wool up from over our eyes.
Like I have stated in the past, we stand as one in all Veterans' cases from coast to coast. †
Support is knowing and the more we share amongst †each other the more we/and I know.
Facebook, CSAT, Social Media and News media outlets are all great source of information.
If you are †really keen, read all you can from affiliated government websites i.e., Vac, Ombudsman, VRAB websites, they are all good sites to gather information.

1. †Why are they fighting us in court?

2. Any guesses of how this "Veterans" court battle/fight against the GOC will transpire?
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue 14 Jun 2016, 10:27

danny let me just start by saying I do love your attitude . always did . your heart is in the right place buds .

as for the questions well they are a little more complicated then they seem .

1. well their are a few legal/political reasons for this that concern the GOC and DOJ that have nothing to do with right or wrong just procedure . bottom line though it all boils down to money that's it that's all just money. then again doesn't it always .

2. well I always thought the arguments were near sighted at best and the case should have been framed more about pain and suffering benefits that should be EQUAL to disabled vets of the past without an arbitrary date being used to discriminate against the newest disabled vets .

they should have been using the sacred obligation to show that these members deserve BETTER treatment than the standard court guidelines because of the very nature of the job they signed onto most would not and the potential hardships loss of rights and dangers that come with that . some of witch the very same courts that delivered these guidelines would not allow civilian employers to expose their employees to .

but that's just me and I'm no lawyer so take it as you will .

bottom line it seems the GOC at this time is not only trying loosely to fulfill its mandate letter and promises as cheaply as possible but at the same time trying to undermine the near sighted arguments of the plaintiff .

soooo ya it doesn't look good in my opinion . they just may get the class action they are looking for but as for the suit itself ???? well without a drastic change in how they are framing the case they could very well lose this thing .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Tue 14 Jun 2016, 21:15

No it don't look good... Sad shyte that should never have happened.
Could have been a completely different outcome.
Here's one primer regarding it albeit a month old...

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/veterans-advocacy-group-to-take-n-s-widow-s-fight-to-court-1.2901347

Peter Stoffer's in the loop, but here's hoping that lady has supports.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1232
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rags on Fri 24 Jun 2016, 07:15

Hard to prove such a result "Lou Gehrig's Disease" from exposure to "Carbon tet" Cancer yes organ disease yes .......Lou Gehrigs? Be seriously hard to prove connection. For those of you who dont know Carbon tet is in Halon fire extinguishers so if your one of those few guys that had a HALON go off in your vehicle by mistake....it happens r due to fire and you inhaled it keep this info in the back of your mind if you have organ or cancer issues.

Rags

Rags
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 789
Registration date : 2013-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Sat 25 Jun 2016, 15:40

Scientists are finding new info on all kinds of diseases these days it's worth at least asking. For example bladder cancer can be caused by prolonged exposure to diesel exhaust fumes. This was proven in 2011.

So as the saying goes....the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3271
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top