Veterans Affairs 'spitting on his memory' says sister of deceased war vet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Veterans Affairs 'spitting on his memory' says sister of deceased war vet

Post by Dannypaj on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 06:24

Keep the stories alive of the men and women whom are not able to speak, especially for those who have taking their lives or are having difficulty finding a voice and the right things to say; to get the help they rightly deserve.

Veterans Affairs 'spitting on his memory' says sister of deceased war vet.

Lisa Brumsey says Veterans Affairs Canada was more concerned with retrieving back pay than respect.

Jun 19, 2016 6:01 AM NT

A Deer Lake woman says Veterans Affairs Canada has failed her family following the death of her brother who battled mental illness after serving in Afghanistan.

Lisa Brumsey's brother, Shawn Brumsey, 50, died more than a year ago at his home in Kelligrews. He had a heart attack in January 2015 but his body wasn't found until police entered his home four months later.

Veteran died and lay undiscovered in his house for 4 months, says sister
Brumsey said she's had a difficult year dealing with the aftermath of his death.

"I haven't been able to grieve. I haven't been able to realize that he is really gone, and dealing with so many things...trying to get his house done, fighting with the insurance and to me, it just about broke me," she said.

Brumsey believes Veterans Affairs should have done more for her family.

"They weren't much help. They told me about the Last Post Fund but the Last Post Fund wouldn't pay for the funeral," she said.

Concerned about back pay

Brumsey said Veterans Affairs was more concerned with recovering the money that Shawn, a retired Corporal, was sent after his death.

"They were too worried about back pay. Where he died in January he was still getting deposits in his bank account until May. So they were more interested in getting the back pay," said Brumsey.

"I was horrified and I was like 'I just need help.' I said 'who cares about the money. I want honour and respect for my brother. I need help.'"

She said Veterans Affairs showed disregard for her brother who was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and depression related to his 28 years of service in the military.

"I think the government and the military should honour him and respect him and help get his things in order. It was a tragedy. My brother protected this country for 28 years and this is the respect that they gave him. They gave him nothing. To me they spit on his grave," she said.

"I asked for help and every time I got no one helping me. I'll check into it. Nothing came of it. I felt like they were spiting on his memory."

CBC asked Veterans Affairs what assistance it offers families after a vet dies but no one was available for comment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/veteran-sister-death-1.3638267
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Veterans Affairs 'spitting on his memory' says sister of deceased war vet

Post by Guest on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 19:31

"They told me about the Last Post Fund but the Last Post Fund wouldn't pay for the funeral," she said."

No they wouldn't pay for the Last Post Fund because it's another one of those benefits that very few get , if your completely broke or were in poverty both the decease an the deceases love ones , you would not qualify.
But they don't mention that when they parade new improvements to it ?
How many individuals qualified for the full burial assistance ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 22:13

Those vets that die of their pensioned condition get the full LPF payment, regardless of the value of the estate.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3271
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sun 19 Jun 2016, 23:51

That's the rub of it though. How many people actually die from their pensioned conditions? Like this Veteran, even though the suicide was because of his PTSD, VAC will not recognize the direct link. So unless someone gets a pension for cancer, or other terminal illness, very few will automatically get access to the LPF
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3103
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top