Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

KENT HEHR: Working together for veterans

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

KENT HEHR: Working together for veterans

Post by Guest on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 14:04

Veterans Affairs stakeholder summit addressed three main objectives this month.

October 13, 2016

One of the great privileges in my role as Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence is the opportunity to speak directly with Canadian veterans and their families, as well as all Canadians, about how the Government of Canada can better serve those who have so bravely served us.

Whether they live in the smallest rural community or the largest city, Canadians are universally passionate about Canada’s veterans. It is a passion that I share and one that drives my actions and decisions. While we have made some progress towards rebuilding services and benefits for the veteran community, we need to do better.

And it's something we can’t do alone. I made it clear when I first took office that I needed to hear from Canadians to get a better handle on what was working, what wasn’t, and what we could do better. To help us get those answers, we launched an online feedback tool so that Canadians and veterans alike could tell us how we are doing. In addition, over the course of the summer, we facilitated 30 roundtables on veterans’ issues across the country so they could provide input and share their ideas on top priorities.

Last April, I appointed six ministerial advisory groups – composed of members from the veterans’ community – so that we could collaborate, share views and gather information directly from the source. A total of 16 advisory group meetings have been held so far, and I am extremely grateful to everyone taking the time to participate, helping ensure our veterans have a voice in the department dedicated to serving them and ensuring we continuously work towards a veteran-centric approach to services and programs.

Over the past year, we have made solid strides in meeting the Prime Minister’s mandate commitments. We are reopening the Veterans Affairs Canada offices that were closed by the previous government, with a new office in Surrey, B.C., and expanding outreach and service to veterans in the North.

We are also in the process of hiring 400 new employees to help ensure that veterans, Canadian Armed Forces members, RCMP personnel, and their families are provided with the best possible services in their own communities. To date, more than 250 new frontline and support employees have been hired, with a goal of ensuring that each case manager has an average caseload of 25 veterans.

Many Canadians believe that improved financial support is where the rubber meets the road when it comes to any government’s support for veterans. I agree, and am proud of the historic actions we took in budget 2016. In total, we invested $5.6 billion in additional financial benefits for veterans and their families, through improvements to the Disability Award, the Earnings Loss Benefit and the Permanent Impairment Allowance.

We must ensure as many veterans as possible are provided the opportunity to rebuild their lives and join the middle class, if they aren’t there already.

While I’m proud of the progress we have made, there is much more to be done. On October 5th and 6th I sat down with over 150 stakeholders – representatives of veterans’ organizations, members of the Ministerial Advisory groups and veterans - for the 3rd Veterans Affairs stakeholder summit since I took on this portfolio almost a year ago.

I had three main objectives going into the Summit. I wanted to reach a common understanding of the challenges we face; I wanted all participants to hear and discuss the progress the Advisory Groups are making; and I wanted a solid understanding of their best advice and recommendations to help inform the government about the best way forward.

I am confident that we accomplished that.

Over the course of the summit we shared ideas and around some complex, multifaceted issues. It was a good opportunity for me to hear from people about what there is agreement on and where we must do better.

I made a commitment to veterans’ organizations and stakeholders - and to all Canadians - to be more open and transparent and to engage them in a dialogue on how we can better support veterans. If we want all veterans to enjoy the highest quality of living possible; if we want to encourage remembrance in future generations; if we want all Canadians to know we exist to repay our nation’s debt of gratitude toward all our veterans; then we must work together.

Kent Hehr is Canada’s Minister of Veterans Affairs which has its national headquarters in Charlottetown.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Opinion/2016-10-13/article-4662487/KENT-HEHR%3A-Working-together-for-veterans/1

Back to top Go down

Re: KENT HEHR: Working together for veterans

Post by Guest on Thu 13 Oct 2016, 16:47

That read was kind of disappointing.

Very disappointed in that message. I have had rewritten my thoughts at least three times.

Trying not to be to negative, I will leave my thoughts as disappointed.

Ps. Someone in the stakeholders meeting should educated him on the 15 battlesteps to planning a mission. State your intent MVA.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 14 Oct 2016, 06:25

Well this is the Ministers 3rd summit and we have yet to see any implementations on our file that directly comes from those recommendations brought forward by Veterans and Veterans groups attending these summits.
This is a clear message that these summits are used for the governments PR system.

The Minister says he went into the summit with three objectives:

The first one being that he wanted to reach a common understanding of the challenges we face. What challenges?

The second being that he wanted all participants to hear and discuss the progress the Advisory Groups are making. What progress?

And finally he wanted a solid understanding of their best advice and recommendations to help inform the government about the best way forward. The best way forward? What's the good of giving advice and recommendations when none of it is being implemented?
Isn't this the whole Idea of having these summits, so that Veterans and Veterans groups can bring forward recommendations knowing or hoping that at least one or two will be implemented? OR at lest considered for implementation?

What I'd like to know is the cost associated with having these summits?

To be honest, if these summits are only to be used for government PR, I'd prefer not to continue having them.

JMO

Back to top Go down

Post by 1sea0shell33 on Fri 14 Oct 2016, 10:24

JMO, I believe we only have to look back over the nine years that we endured under fantino and Otoole , to acknowledge that the one year under JT is a hell of a lot better. Real changes are happening and in political terms happening fast. Veterans need to say , Thank God for Trudeau!

1sea0shell33
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:42

If he has the time to write that as a summary of the summit would it kill him to put the 6 advisory groups briefings up on the VAC website? Or do they want to keep veterans in a darker room and fed this weak BS? And everyone thinks Harper was paranoid....seesh if he could have learned some of this Liberal mush he might still be the PM.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3304
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 14 Oct 2016, 12:57

First, JT will not be in my prayers or thoughts tonight. If you want to thank God for him you have the right too.

Liberals are trying to fix this mess that they started before Harper. And I take no sides in the political arena, they are cut from the same cloth.

Ask yourself this. When you grew up did anyone of the kids say their goal was a career, or job was going to be in politics. No, it was fireman, policeman, or a soldier. These blowholes in Ottawa have never really had a job.

My morning rant on 2nd cup of coffee. I will thank God for the soldiers that served before me and gave their lives for all of us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 14 Oct 2016, 15:31

ya they are trying to FIX this alright . boys I think the FIX is in.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Fri 14 Oct 2016, 18:23

Always was propat
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 14 Oct 2016, 18:45

yup agreed pinger.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 14 Oct 2016, 19:50

I posted this before and I'll post it again.

I viewed on Facebook where one member of the advisory groups stated in a video that he is very optimistic that a lifelong pension will be in place, or announced by budget 2017. From this same member, from the same video also said that what the advisory group has proposed, if implemented, will be just as good as the lifelong pension from the old pension act, if not, better.

I'm thinking the key words here are, (if implemented.)

Now that's being optimistic!

However, if this is indeed on the table, wouldn't it be fair to have had someone from this past summit bring this to light?

OR perhaps it's on the table, but only temporarily to keep the groups happy or fooled until such time the bureaucrats are ready to announce their implementation?

I don't want to sound negative, and I don't want to speak against other Veterans, but as it stands today, this is the opinion I have and with all of the secrecy surrounding these groups, it stresses my negativity that I continue to have.

I hope and pray that the secrecy is worth it, for the sake of all Veterans, because the lifelong pension is key, and it is only key if it reflects the lifelong pension from the old act.
Further to this, if things turn out against the wishes of these advisory groups, times a wasting and before we know it, it will be to late to do anything about it.

Something to think about.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 14 Oct 2016, 20:50

yaaaa don't think I seen the vid but sounds like a load of crap to me trooper if the proposal was as good or better than the PA pension mike would have had no problem with it . as it stands right now mike likened it to what is actually in place now , the same buyout taken over time .

they aint going through all this time and trouble ta bring us something as good or better than a pension they could have implemented quickly and easily ending all the legal issues and dissention from vets over this issue .

always question authority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Fri 14 Oct 2016, 23:07

If the phrase "pension style option" Kent used on his Facebook live town hall at the start of the Summit is better then the PA that must be one hell of a style!!
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3304
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2016, 06:27

Here's the video I'm referring to regarding the proposed lifelong pension. Click on the link below and scroll up to 57:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_BSkYleUlU

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 15 Oct 2016, 08:09

ya started watching at 57;00 instead . seems he still doesn't know what it will look like so how can he say it will be better than or as good as the PA .

also in their between 56 and 57 he says the 5% guys will get a buyout witch is the PA approach ??????? WTF !!!!!

isn't the NVC the buyout legislation ? never mind rhetorical .

ya what did I say initially ? load of crap.

ya I'm sticking with that .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sat 15 Oct 2016, 10:14

I think what he was referring to was that guys at 5% aren't going to be the financial benefits. They will get their 5% pension, for pain and suffering, and that is it, which is what happened under the PA. Also in the PA, those under 5% only received a one time payment.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3189
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top