Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

Mike Blais Post CVA

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Re: Mike Blais Post CVA

Post by 1sea0shell33 on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 13:37

Yes I can agree with you somewhat Teen, but at this point if the government runs a few deficits to cover the veterans increases and some other worthwhile projects then in my books it's money well spent. I like Mike and what he has done but I believe if we start asking for the moon and are never satisfied, Joe Canadian taxpayer will most definitely start to think of veterans as a never satisfied group, JMO

1sea0shell33
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 14:22

I totally agree with your point about Joe taxpayer SOS.

There is definitely going to be more deficits. Just look at what happened in your neck of the woods with the sunflower seeds, the guy who got into JT's grill and yesterday at a youth conference where they stood with their backs to him.

All 3 incidents are over one thing....keep your promises.

Is it going to take an incident on Remembrance Day for the vets point of keeping promises?

I just feel if vets aren't loud enough our promises made will be set aside. Mike and others can't do it themselves. It's going to take a lot of vets throwing poppies at Trudeau screaming keep your promises.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3313
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 14:26

veteranZZ wrote:I listed all the benefits available(and missed a few)....Some get their Pot paid for... Scooters..... some even get sex changes paid for ....The list goes on and on....
If you are fortune enough to receive some from both plans good for u (PA & NVC).... But i feel the plans presented post 2006 are going to become (with improvements) more than enough. We are not there yet!

If you receive a Military Pension, a Veteran Affairs Pension, VIP, ELB, PIA, PIAS CCP(D) OAS OAS(s) Etc Etc, Maybe CIA, Several NVC awards ....and lots of us have combination of all these and a few  have all of them.....

When is enough Enough? I realize those that get both PA and NVC when others don't.. it isn't fair ...LIFE is NEVER FAIR period!

So lets remove the battle for a return of the Veteran affairs tax free pension! IF you can qualify for everything or most of the rest, I am sure 95% of us will be able to continue a life without a financial nightmare....

If this isnt enough -----

Then there is National Medical, Provincial Benefits for disabled/disadvantaged people. DTC, outreach programs, safety nets...etc

There is the amazing Red Cross, Support groups (AA,DA),some churches,Salvation army,maybe your family, maybe your friends, 15+
different Veteran organizations that may support/assist you.

Including the fine people right here at CSAT.. Smile

We have drug companies that if you write to them that may assist in paying for expensive drugs ( i have written a few on behalf of others).....

Then there are beggars on the streets (on warm days) that make 40+ bucks an hour tax free ( believe me I support a few)

Now you can pick apart my statements which I am sure some will.... BUT

We are blessed to be Canadians,We are fortunate to have VA.

Our civilian population have bigger battles when illnesses or injuries destroy their lives. (Please please just talk to a few it will help I promise)

IMO- The tax free pension is lost! Was not even a topic of conversation at the MVA recent conference!
So lets focus on battling for improvements and be thankful for what direction we are going.

Lest we Forget we are Canadians

Well I don't get all those things.  So far SSIP, my military penision, VIP,  I am approved for ELB, yet to see my 15% increase that will get here at some point.

We did put or lives on the line for oversea injuries big time and in turn we treat injuries foreign or domtestic the same. A few extras for overseas, rightly so.

So the quoted post above almost makes me feel that I should accept only a certain amount.  I don't think so, your wrong and what you say can be dangerous for some.  Not everyone here on 3b release are on the happy boat.

Tax free makes sense to me, they are paying us with Canadian Tax payers money, so what in fact they take off is already been taxed.  The hard core will join the military, but border line fence goers my not, like my son. He see's first hand the challenges ahead.  We need the future vets to be taken care not fight more like the past 15 years of NVC.  Not saying the old vets didn't have to fight for stuff and still do. Thank you older Vets, now we work for the future vets.  

I do think things are moving in the right direction, slowly.  But vets just can't say, "okay that's enough I am good"
We have to keep pressure on GOC to make them keep their promises.

Back to top Go down

Post by 1sea0shell33 on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 14:36

I am of the belief that tax free days are long gone. The PA is dead and buried. The ones who still receive it aee the last of the lucky ones. If the PA was coming back, Propat made a very good post awhile back stating a few simple word changes and the PA could be reinstated, then why not just do Propats suggestion, simply put the goverment doesnt want it back , no goverment does, so its extinct! The liberals will keep their promise thou , and the life long pension will return but it will return as an annuity based pension fully taxable

1sea0shell33
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 14:46

Sometimes I just can't shake the feeling that the NVC trial and tribulations is an attempt to make the NVC attractable to the RCMP that their union will accept it.

Once the RCMP abandons the PA the only ones that will have claim to it? The politicians.

Something to ponder for ya' all
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 15:05

teentitan wrote:Sometimes I just can't shake the feeling that the NVC trial and tribulations is an attempt to make the NVC attractable to the RCMP that their union will accept it.

Once the RCMP abandons the PA the only ones that will have claim to it?  The politicians.

Something to ponder for ya' all

Made me think...... hmmm.    We should talk to an RCMP member that's is on both systems with military experience.

A member going thru both systems would be an excellent person to give their views.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 15:09

Don't know if that 'someone' exists steelgunner
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1sea0shell33 on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 17:38

Yes, but whatever happened to that dam ID card!

1sea0shell33
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 18:09

Good points and opinions by all.

I can remember back when the Liberals were first elected right here on the forum we had many discussions surrounding what this meant for positive change for Veterans. The key discussion I would guess to say surrounded the return of the lifelong pension. We have a real good team here on CSAT and the VVi staff to lets say read the outlook that lies ahead from this new government. The link between those here who's points differ from one to the other in relation to individual outlooks on what to expect from this new government and what priorities should be put front and center moving forward, and those thoughts from the outside, do to a certain extent divide us or separates us from being all on the same page or united on the same principals. That's just my opinion, because things have not moved in a united fashion.
There was a time before the election, and some after the election regarding the merits between the NVC and the PA that were persistent in showing their views of unfairness to the NVC Veterans compared to those on the full PA. Fast forward to today, not so much, there could be many reasons why a shift in views or thoughts are occurring today, some have given their thoughts here and others on other sites. Regardless of where one stands on the issue, I respect each ones view, each of us have our own unique thought process to share among others, that process belongs to that single individual, therefore we must respect each ones view regardless if we disagree on what is being said. It's always good to hear different perspectives on here, everyone learns from what others have to say, even those outside the forum who are advocating on behalf for Veterans, we need to also respect them even if we have disagreements, nothing wrong with disagreeing, but at the end of the day, were all on the same team.

Regarding Mike and the return of the lifelong pension, I agree on his fight, but he jump the gun from day one thinking that the promise was the return of the tax free lifelong pension from the old act. This was his first mistake, his second mistake was to believe that Kent was going to deliver just that, his third mistake was to think that Kent even knew what the tax free lifelong pension meant from the old act. I don't want to put Mike down here, I'm just given my opinion. He is a Veteran who is fighting just like many of us for the better of all Veterans, but that does not make his position on this right, nor does it make my opinion right, it is simply my view.

Regarding the promise of the lifelong pension, I agree with the poster above, yes we will get a lifelong pension before the Liberals end term.
But gone are the days of the tax free pensions, tax free being one of the two main points that puts the NVC below the merits of the PA.
What this lifelong pension will be is anyone's guess, but in my own opinion, don't expect any that comes even remotely close to the tax free pension from the old act.
BTW, VVi is now pushing for answers on the promise to implement a lifelong pension.

I will close by reiterating my view on what we can expect moving forward in terms of implementations.
Kent has no intention on educating himself on our file, he will continue to allow the bureaucrats to implement what they want.
Kent will concentrate on all 15 promises from his mandate letter, he will detail his staff/bureaucrats to work on these 15 promises.
No one Veteran or group will influence implementation unless what is proposed by these groups falls inline with what the bureaucrats already have on the table.

I'm not one to push my opinion or opinions on others, so please just take what I wrote here today as just that, an opinion.

Last edited by Trooper on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 18:50; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed 26 Oct 2016, 18:34

veteranZZ wrote:You know what Gordie Howe got for a signing bonus? A team jacket! He just played on !

Times are changing benefits are improving. The new replaces the old and due to the actions of determined  Veterans  we will or will be in a good place!  The NVC is a living document and its becoming closer to what we need!

Did you know that Gordie Howe was one on the principle players to start the process of bringing  in the player association which grew into the players union. So obvious the team jacket burnt a hole in his butt. Along with his wife Colleen he tried to fix the players blight with the oweners of the teams.  You could not have picked a lesser example to bring forward.

Gordie did not give up and I hope other veterans don't given in too! I think there is a reason we say one veteran one standard!

BTW Trooper bang on with comments above.  I do think you could be more for forceful and direct.

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Thu 27 Oct 2016, 10:02

Great point steelgunner but Gordie refused to start a union. It was Terrible Ted Lindsay who tried to start the first union. That's why he was traded from Detroit to Chicago (then known as the black hole team).

Gordie did eventually come around when Ted tried again.

Not busting your balls or anything it's just that I watched the mini-series about the union on CBC when Eagleson, that smooth talking thieving prick, finally got busted for corruption and theft.

I know it's fun busting my balls about the ID card, which is ok with me, but it must be a very serious recommendation because at the Summit ol' Kent was extremely against it. So much that refused to talk about it anymore. So maybe there is more behind this card then we think?
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 27 Oct 2016, 10:07

just to clear up one point . their is a difference between FACT and opinion .

FACT ; the NVC today is no where even close to the PA today in financial support . opinion; the pertinent parts of the legislations 15 mins and a calculator is all a fifth grader needs to show you the huge difference between both .

FACT : giving the NVC vets the PA pension puts NVC vets and PA vets on pretty much equal footing . ya know that whole equality thing one vet one standard yada yada .

opinion ; I think the solution to the promised life long pension should be obtained through the use of FACTS . not BS, rhetoric , theory or opinion just the fracking facts gentlemen .

opinion ; seen a lot of crazy theoretical solutions that may be being pushed forward by a few PA vets that don't want a solution that doesn't put even more money in their own greedy pockets equality be dammed .

opinion ; I also think the solution should be developed with equality in mind not greed .

ignore the opinion all ya want but look at the facts and come up with your own opinion as to the solution to the life long pension promise . I'm sure after all these years you guys know mine.

always question authority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Thu 27 Oct 2016, 10:22

Here's a fact you forget propat...if the PA pension is reinstated how does the lump sum money factor in that vets have already received so PA vets don't sue to get their lump sum?

Also which table of disabilities is used that is not going to cause a lawsuit?

Also how do NVC widows factor in with the PA coming back? Remember they are all being topped up to $360K this April.

Also how does the PA pension retro fit in with NVC vets?

How does PA widows benefits fit in for spouses that have committed suicide since 2006? Do they get the retro then the widows benefits?

I'm not shooting down your opinion propat I'm just trying to show you points you have missed in bringing back the PA.

The only answer that can work, in my opinion, is a new veterans pension act and all veterans are grandfathered under their current system. They did it in '06 so why not in '16?
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 27 Oct 2016, 11:22

Propat,

I agree with everything you wrote, I truly do but as I said in my above post there's a shift in movement among our community that is shifting towards forgetting about the tax free lifelong pension from the old act, and concentrate solely on improving the now NVC.
I give credit where credit is due and unfortunately the credit goes to the government for playing their cards right, and right from the get go.
This is not the bureaucrats first walk on the block, they are a solid bunch who are experts in getting things done their way.
Now is not the time to be fighting for the tax free lifelong pension from the old act, that time has come and gone.
This fight for the tax free lifelong pension should have been fought right from the start, and in a united way.
As it stands now the government has introduced improvements that will work on their behalf, and any attempt to recover the tax free lifelong pension will be shot down by the government claiming what they have implemented thus far is positive and more positive improvements are on the way.

Personally I think it's sad that there are so many divisions in place today among the Veteran community, divisions in terms of what is best for Veterans.
Were all over the map on the various proposals, and I think it's because the charter itself is so broadly based, and in my opinion, not in a good way.

In my opinion, the government has us exactly where they want us, lose the enthusiasm on the old pension act, use us as PR, and control fully what is implemented.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu 27 Oct 2016, 14:12

Look I joined with the PA and left with a lump sum.

I will not lay down and accept the NVC now that I understand how bad it is.

To the older vets on PA that say accept it and comment about it ..... get over it you say.   Either support us with your voice or shut the frack up.

To the PA Vets, just for one minute think if your monthly cheques stopped and the GOC decided to stop paying you because that's what they exactly did happen with the NVC.

The GOC of Canada is playing us better then a car salesman.  The stakeholders should be ashamed of themselves. Topping us up and other little things is like the carrot for the jackass.  I am not a jackass, are you by accepting this bad deal.

PA back with tax free money. Asking for no more that was before me. One Standard One Veteran.

I am sure there is a capable person to sit down and calculate what you have received in the lumps sums and recalculate the difference.  We the NVC vets would get a smaller cheque monlthly because of lump sum payments but the future Vet would be sitting just fine.

Also, I am pretty sure this would not happen and be accepted in any other country other then Canada, do you really think this would fly in the USA.   So why do us as Vets and better yet the Canadian people accept this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next