Words from the new Conservative Veterans Affairs critic - John Brassard

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Words from the new Conservative Veterans Affairs critic - John Brassard

Post by Guest on Thu 27 Oct 2016, 13:52

Canada's long military history: BRASSARD

Thursday, October 27, 2016 12:43:21 EDT PM

Members of the Canadian Armed Forces. MARK WANZEL/FILE PHOTO

Recently, I was named to the Conservative shadow cabinet as Veterans Affairs critic for the Official Opposition.

I am thankful to our Leader Rona Ambrose and honoured she has placed her faith in me to assume this role.

I am excited to serve in this capacity and humbled to have the opportunity to echo the voices of our vets and their families. I have a profound respect for our veterans.

There are thousands of active military families who call the Barrie-Innisfil area home and many thousands more who previously served our country with distinction. Our community also has a deep connection with CFB Borden and I am working tirelessly with local stakeholders and veterans groups across Canada on behalf of our veterans.

From the beaches of Normandy, to the cliffs of Dieppe, to the trenches of Kapyong, to the mountains of Kandahar the brave men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces have served this country with pride and honour and I know Conservatives value Canada's veterans.

One of the first acts of the previous government was to implement the New Veterans Charter in 2006 and enhance it in 2014 by increasing the number of support programs and entitlements from 19 to 34.

As a new member of Parliament, I understand the relationship was strained at times and there was a perception of funding cuts, but funding actually increased by nearly $5 billion from 2006 to 2015 even though the number of veterans declined.

Regardless of your political allegiances or philosophical beliefs, Canadians all share a common admiration and deep respect for Canada's veterans. They are the tie that binds the citizens of this great country together and any approach a government takes towards our veterans, and our military in general, must transcend politics.

The Liberals made some lofty promises to veterans at election time and I am wholeheartedly committed to doing my part to help ensure our veterans get the respect they deserve.

During Veterans Week (Nov. 5-11) the unbreakable bond between Canadians and our veterans will be on full display as thousands stand before memorials and cenotaphs across Barrie-Innisfil to pay their solemn respects during Veterans Week.

Remembrance Day marks the Armistice that arrived on the eleventh hour, on the eleventh day, of the eleventh month. It is a time to pay tribute to those who went far from home to answer the call of peace.

With bravery and unwavering determination, they defended our home, our security, and our freedom.

Our military tradition is remarkable with over 1.7 million Canadians serving in our Armed Forces during the conflicts of the last century. It speaks to the nature of our country that so many have stood on guard for Canada.

I encourage all Canadians to remember those soldiers who paid the ultimate sacrifice and to honour those who returned wounded in body, spirit and mind. I also ask that you think of those who continue to serve our nation so proudly.

We owe all of them an endless debt of gratitude.

Lest we forget.

John Brassard is the MP for the Barrie-Innisfil riding as well as the Official Opposition critic for Veterans Affairs.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2016/10/27/canadas-long-military-history-brassard

Back to top Go down

Re: Words from the new Conservative Veterans Affairs critic - John Brassard

Post by LostTrucker on Thu 27 Oct 2016, 22:12

correct me if I'm wrong but he sounds like he is defending the NVC......not much of a critic to help us out if thats the case.....all politicians will kiss our asses during Veterans Week like they actually give a damn.....the week after they are right ready to piss on us again for the rest of the year....all PR smoke
LostTrucker
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2016-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 05:34

I think the ultimate goal is to push the perception that the NVC is going to be better than the old pension act, through the means of ongoing improvements made to the now NVC.

I also think it's working to a degree.

I also think that because the NVC is so broadly based with several benefits which focuses mainly on taxed benefits, and categorizes Veterans to the extent that many will fall through the cracks, and the long term security does not reflect the long term security of the old act, divisions are certainly going to continue among our disabled Veteran community.

If Mr. Brassard is going to engage with stakeholders as he says, he should ensure that he engages with disabled Veterans, and not people who represent Veterans who are not disabled Veterans.

We will see how he produces both with he's engagements with disabled Veterans, and how he performs in he's questions to our Minister.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 05:57

Plain and simple, his a politician, not a veteran.
This guy and all other political wacko jobs who haven't served a day in their lives should stop putting out harmful statements.
For now , they speak! I no longer listen to either sides of the house of political nonsense.  
Government is what runs the world?  More like a bunch of crooks and ass hats who will send people anywhere for their own benefit........playing us like fools, funny how they flip-flop and twitch a bit....they are all liars, but now VETERANS, we have a broader and more organized social media with identifiable leaders (some liked and some not), but all in all their hearts are in the right places and that is  to  speak LOUDLY on our behaves.....we do not sit down, bow down from what they stole and owe us.....a contract is a contract.

November is around the corner.

Last edited by Dannypaj on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 07:50; edited 1 time in total
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 06:10

Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Fri 28 Oct 2016, 06:18

"DO WHAT YOUR TOLD!" Does that sound familiar? RANK? Means nothing when all the failures are at the top. Leaders making promises especially to their veterans>>>WOW!
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top