Canadian Soldiers Assistance Team (CSAT) Forum

O'Leary's military comments 'disturbing,' O'Toole says

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: O'Leary's military comments 'disturbing,' O'Toole says

Post by popcorn on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 13:35

Felt this was very powerful -PLEASE REPOST THIS AND SEND IT TO YOUR MP LETS MAKE THIS GO VIRAL- ITS THE REAL LIFE OF THIS VETERAN-
Heather Mac Pherson • 11 hours ago
Yeah, of course Erin O'Toole is spouting this BS, he wants to become leader of the Conservatives. Erin had his chance to help his fellow veterans, including my dad a WWII combat (Infantry) veteran who wanted to die at home. After my mom died, 5 years ago (December 21, 2011), I was forced to quit my job to care for my dad, because Veteran's Affairs would only offer him 4 hour housekeeping services; or, if he was too infirm, they would put him in the closest available veteran's bed...which at the time was 3 hours away! Dad, was close to 90 years old, and he needed more than 4 hours care; but, there was NO WAY I was going to let him lose the only home he ever knew to be shipped off, 3 hours away, after just losing his wife. I begged his caseworker in Sydney to give ME the 4 hours housekeeping money, which was a lump sum amount of $335/ week. Not only did I have to give up a well paying 40 hour a week job, but I lost my medical, dental, 4 weeks paid vacation, Employer contributed RRSP...and job senoirity...but my dad was worth it. You see, live in family caregivers cannot get the housekeeping allowance, while a complete stranger could; but thankfully, his caseworker in the Sydney office was empathic to my situation and got me the money. It worked out to be $1.99/ hour and not only was my dad getting 3 meals a day cooked for him, I was also a certified caregiver, in my previous line of work. Dad was happy, I am sure taxpayers were probably happy, and I was able to stay ahead of my bills! Then in 2014, thanks to the closure of the Sydney office, my dad's file was transferred to the Halifax office! April 13, 1945, my dad was shot in his hand, plus he witnessed his buddy's skull being blown off...on April 14, 2014, Halifax VAC office called to tell me that dad's housekeeping was cut off. Actually, I was busy getting my dad cleaned up, so that was the message left on the answering machine. Exactly 69 years and a day after my dad sacrified his mind and body, for this country, I find out he is NOT WORTH $1.99/ hour to care for!! I used up all my RRSP savings and even sold some wood on our property, just to get by and ensure my dad was taken care of. I contacted Julian Fantino, then Erin O'Toole and even my MP Peter MacKay...ALL ignored me! Peter MacKay didn't even have the decency to return my 2 phone calls or visit to his constituency office; but, yet he used my dad's picture (and 2 other WWII veterans) for a photo op, on his Facebook page and mail out! When my dad's Provincal respite care for the month of September 2015 had my dad going to 4 different care facilities all across the province...I almost had a meltdown. Dad needed to see family, and to send him over 3 hours away, would have been tough on him, so I called VAC and said I was done. I was going to drop my dad off at our local hospital, or I was going to be there myself, at the psych ward! Thankfully, there was a veteran's bed locally and, after waiting for him to get re-assessed again, he got in about a week later. That is another thing, "re-assessment"...why??? The year before my dad was assessed as being "total care". Did VAC, really think my dad could now walk, or toilet himself, or do his own personal care... yet they continue to make veterans prove these things by having them re-assessed! Veterans who have had limbs blown off are still required to prove they didn't grow back...smh! Anyway, I only intended dad to be there for a month or two at the most, while I had time to be "human" again, not just a caregiver. Unfortunately, a little over a month after being admitted in the veteran's wing, my dad fell out of bed headfirst. Jeepers, the room my dad was in cost taxpayers 1500/ PER DAY, plus I had to pay over $950/ month besides, so I would have assumed my dad would have been safe...but NOPE!! VAC are a cruel insurance company and after all the financial hardships I endured, to hear many mangers at VAC got some sweet bonuses after the 9 office closures, really pissed me off. Also over 1.3 billion dollars from VAC coffers was returned to the government, while the mentality of "Delay, deny...until a veteran dies", seems to be the motto for VAC, not the "care, compassion and respect the current minister of VAC keeps spouting! Less than 3 months after his fall, my dad died on January 7, 2016. I blame my dad's death on VAC, because he was SAFE and well cared for, when he was in MY care; and, I was getting $1.99/ hour to provide that care. I was able to change my dad's Depends, by myself, but it took 2 staff in hospital, so I was saving taxpayers money! Taxpayers were paying $62.50/ hour just for my dad's hospital room ($1500/day), and that doesn't include any tests and drs wages and nursing staff...yet I got cut off a whole $1.99/ hour (less than the price of a large coffee) to provide total care 24/ 7 to a 90 year old man, whose only wish was to die at home! Give your damn head a shake VAC and use some bloody common sense and compassion! Veteran's Affairs Canada is a mess and it has been led by 3 incompetent leaders...Fantino, O'Toole and now Hehr. O'Toole had his chance to do something for veterans, when he was the MVA, so this attempt by O'Toole to make empty promises is BOGUS!!! Somebody NEEDS to make VAC accountable; but, as I found out in the past, when you open your mouth to challenge the government, services get cut so many veterans are afraid to speak out. Frankly, I got nothing else to lose, so I intend to speak out for veterans, against the corruption, that is VAC...and the Toole was part of that!

popcorn
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-12-11

Back to top Go down

We are proud of those who serve

Post by Guest on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 06:45

We are proud of those who serve

ERIN O'TOOLE

FIRST POSTED: MONDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2016 06:22 PM EST | UPDATED: MONDAY, DECEMBER 19, 2016 06:28 PM EST

Final rehearsal prior to a military parade at a Canadian military air force base in Trenton, Ontario, Canada.

After my wedding and the birthdays of my children, Mollie and Jack, one of the proudest days of my life was the day I joined the Canadian Armed Forces back on June 22, 1991.

The people I served with in the military, and the thousands of others who serve in uniforms every day as first responders, put their heart and soul into everything they do. Canadians deeply respect this service and sacrifice regardless of political point of view, but I believe that this pride in those who serve is particularly strong with members of the Conservative Party of Canada.

So, imagine my surprise when comments made by a potential candidate for Leader of our party seemed to disparage this selfless service.

Despite having never served a day in a uniform, Kevin O’Leary felt comfortable mocking those who choose to serve their country by saying "there's nothing proud about being a warrior."

These and other comments he has made continue to demonstrate that being a celebrity commentator on TV does not equip someone with the experience or judgment needed to be an effective leader.

Members of the Conservative Party are particularly proud of our military and first responders. While Mr. O’Leary may have bought a Conservative Party membership a few months ago, he clearly does not understand our party and he certainly does not share our core values.

He also insulted the hundreds of thousands of Canadians who served in armed conflict including as recently as the thousands of Canadians who fought in Afghanistan and are serving right now in the fight against ISIL in Iraq.

It also seems Mr. O'Leary clings to the Liberal Party's romanticized version of traditional peacekeeping, which is usually promoted by Liberals as a prelude to letting down our allies and cutting the military by stealth. Conservative governments for the last 50 years have rejected this approach.

At the very least, we owe our veterans respect for their service on our behalf. Whether it was on the beach at Dieppe, on a UN mission in Cyprus or in Kandahar province in Afghanistan, we should respect and have pride in their service. The Canadian government must also recognize our obligation to them and to serve those who have served.

I’ve spent my entire adult life working on fulfilling that obligation. As Veterans Affairs Minister, I worked alongside other passionate advocates to implement meaningful improvements to the benefits and services provided to ill and injured Veterans and their families.

Unfortunately, an election then intervened, and under the Liberal government, that progress has not only stopped, it has gone backward.

It is time for our country to keep its promise and honour our warriors. A Conservative Government under my leadership will:

- Ensure financial security and transition support for injured CAF members, Veterans and their families;

- Streamline benefit adjudication & set performance targets to clean up Ottawa and keep the focus on Veterans;

- Allow Veterans and their families to direct their own care and rehabilitation; and

- Reduce barriers to employment and transition for Veterans.

Serving in the military comes with risks. Some leave the CAF with serious physical or mental injuries. We have a promise to keep with those who serve – an obligation to take care of them – and their families -- after their service.

We are proud of those who serve. We must keep our country’s promise to those who put on a uniform and sacrifice for our freedom, security, and responsibility to the world. With your help, we will keep the promise.

Hon. Erin O’Toole, P.C., C.D.; M.P. for Durham; Capt. (ret’d), RCAF; former Minister of Veterans Affairs and Conservative leadership candidate

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/19/we-are-proud-of-those-who-serve

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 23:07

he will never get the con nod . that's a fact . what ya think if he is even allowed to run their will be ANYONE told to vote for him ???? NOPE . unfortunately the guys making the phone calls will be telling them to vote for a regressive not a progressive so our alternate choice to JT WILL BE a harper lite . no real choice there me thinks .

always question authority

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 19:44

Just my opinion here but Kevin O'Leary is a just cheap arrogant tapdancer to me.

To be avoided . . . kinda like the flu.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 18:49

Agree with you Rex but address and nationality means zip.
Elizabeth May....American
Stephan Dion....France citizen
Tom Mulcair....Dual citizen of France
Montsef...Iranian or Afghani, still waiting for that one and she's a Minister!

Until O'Leary puts his hat into the ring this is all speculation. If anything he wants to be a "Trump Light".
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3293
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 12:33

Honestly I'm surprised to hear this kind of anti-war talk from the right wing. Normally they are the ones pushing the war fighting aspect of the Canadian Forces. As far as military procurement is concerned, the Liberals have not started any major new procurement projects, and the two that they inherited, the CF-18 replacements and supply ships, were run into the ditch well before the Liberals took power. Historically, both parties have had their share of military procurement success stories, as well as flops, so it's not like one party has the higher ground on the issue.

What I find interesting, is that if it was up to the Tories, O'Leary wouldn't even be allowed to vote, because he lives in the US. They also railed against Michael Ignatief (sp?) for living and working in the US, only returning to Canada to run for office. So how are they even going to allow O'Leary to run for leadership? I guess hypocrisy isn't reserved for just those on the left.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3116
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannypaj on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 06:08

Automatically this twit loses the support of the Department of National Defence.
No votes from me.
Another Jackass trying to run the world.
Go away buddy!  
To many idiot politicians who've done absolutely F all in this country walking around with our money in their pockets.
Just how many politicians are sucking up the public coughers money?
How many federal, provincial, municipal leaders does Canada need?
but politicians and bureaucrats run us.
MONEY hungry and POWER hungry period.
Dannypaj
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1128
Registration date : 2015-01-29

Back to top Go down

Former Dragon breathes fire at Kevin O'Leary

Post by Guest on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 05:48

Former Dragon breathes fire at Kevin O'Leary

BY JOE WARMINGTON, TORONTO SUN

FIRST POSTED: SUNDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2016 12:41 PM MST | UPDATED: SUNDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2016 06:49 PM MST

Kevin O'Leary (POSTMEDIA NETWORK PHOTO)

She’s calling him “disrespectful.” He’s calling her “confused.”

Call this a battle of the Dragons — with both breathing fire.

Arlene Dickinson is calling out her TV show colleague, Kevin O’Leary, for comments he made about the military while speaking on an Ottawa radio station.

Dickinson, formerly of the Dragon’s Den, sent out a tweet Sunday morning that set off the social media rumble.

“I have visited the front lines & our men/women serving overseas numerous times & am an HCapt(N). O’Leary is being disrespectful & off base.”

With her tweet, she posted a meme with O’Leary’s picture and the caption “there’s nothing proud about being a warrior.”

O’Leary, a potential Conservative leadership candidate, made the controversial comment while addressing the crisis in Syria, saying “Canadians are known as peacekeepers above all — there’s nothing proud about being a warrior. War is a desperate outcome as a human being. Peacekeeping is extremely noble.”

O’Leary responded, telling the Sun “as usual Arlene is confused. I am extremely proud of the men and women in the Canadian armed services.”

He called Canadians “world class warriors and peacekeepers, a combination of talents and military skills that very few countries forces can boast. What I am not proud of is the process of military funding and procurement that the Liberal government has tried to implement. It is a case study in incompetence. Canadians deserve better and in 2019 they will get it.”

His comments earlier had drawn the ire of already declared Conservative candidates, including former veteran’s affairs minister Erin O’Toole. He called what O’Leary had to say as disturbing and declared in a statement: “I am proud of all of those that risked and gave their lives for our rights and freedoms” and added he was “proud to have served in the Canadian Armed Forces myself, and I am proud to live in a country with a strong record of military success against foes who wished to harm us.”

But O’Leary said he was talking about the horror’s of war and the context of it being brutal and “clearly” not criticizing Canadian troops.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/12/18/former-dragon-breathes-fire-at-kevin-oleary

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Sun 18 Dec 2016, 20:37

And I wanna vote for . . . Pinocchio.  

Last edited by pinger on Sun 18 Dec 2016, 20:39; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Smileys not included)
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1241
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun 18 Dec 2016, 09:35

I would not be a bit surprised if O'Leary gets elected, take a look at what happen in Britain and now in the US with Trump.

People are fed up with the way Politicians run their Country.

Just saying...anything is possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by 1sea0shell33 on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 19:53

OToole is up there with OLeary trust none of them . OToole toots how proud he is of the military but as MVA did jack shyte for veterans ! Nothing except maybe introduce a Costco like ID card good for discounts. OLeary is correct about War , it's a very very bad thing and nobody should be proud as humans we put our fellow human thru that. If you asked anyone who has lost someone in combat nobody would describe it as proud more like devastating! This Conservative party that attracts such clowns is a party of old white men suffering from depression that this country has changed and once more sunny skies and Hope , Hope has returned. This new period of hope that this new government has given us will surly be remembered as a golden moment in our history. Conservative RIP

1sea0shell33
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 15:11

Ainslie Cruickshank Saturday, December 17th, 2016

Conservative leadership hopeful and veteran Erin O’Toole has condemned comments made by “reality TV star and American resident” Kevin O’Leary about Canada’s military, calling them “disturbing” and insulting to all Canadian veterans.

Speaking during an interview on CFRA on Friday, O’Leary, a potential Conservative leadership candidate, said “there’s nothing proud about being a warrior.”

Canada should deploy peacekeepers to Syria within the next six months O’Leary said. And in the future, Canada’s military should only deploy peacekeepers, he said.

“Canadians are known as peacekeepers above all and not warriors. There’s nothing proud about being a warrior, war is a desperate outcome for a human being, peacekeeping is extremely noble.”

Those comments riled O’Toole, who said they were disrespectful to veterans.

“I am proud of all of those that risked and gave their lives for our rights and freedoms,” O’Toole said in a statement.

“I am proud to have served in the Canadian Armed Forces myself, and I am proud to live in a country with a strong record of military success against foes who wished to harm us.”

O’Toole said he finds O’Leary’s comments “disturbing” as a veteran, and “concerning” as a Conservative.

“Kevin O’Leary wants to lead the Conservative Party of Canada. If he wins, he will clearly cut the military more than the Liberals and risk our reputation and national defence,” he said.

O’Leary has starting hiring staff to set up a campaign. He has said he intends to enter the Conservative leadership race after the field has been winnowed.

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/12/17/olearys-military-comments-disturbing-otoole-says/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top