Part-time veterans serve their country, too

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Part-time veterans serve their country, too

Post by Guest on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 06:30

Letter: Part-time veterans serve their country, too

Published on December 22, 2016

I am writing about a serious injustice. Canada is mistreating its disabled, part-time veterans. I am one, but there are many more, perhaps as many as 5,000. Here are some apparently discriminatory practices our nation heaps upon us:

1. Reservists pay seven per cent compound interest for pension buybacks versus four per cent simple interest for regular Forces members, a serious prima facie (on its face) inequity in law.

2. The part-time disabled veteran has to apply to Canada Pension Plan Disability (CPPD) in order to get their savings. Our pensions are forced savings (Federal Court of Appeal).

3. Making a disabled Reservist apply for CPPD means we can never get the Canada Pension Plan (CPP) “bridging” payment because it is not paid at all. If CPPD denies us, we don’t get our pension and the CPP bridging that should go with it. If CPPD is approved, there is no CPP bridging as CPPD approval means no bridging! That is because Canadian Forces pensions state that we lose the CPP bridging because of their mistaken reading of the regulations. For example, I was told I could not get the CPP bridging because of Canadian Forces Superannuation Act section 15(2)(b), which is in Part 1 of the act, but my pension is authorized in law in Part 1.1.

4. If we do get the pension, it is so pitiful it isn’t funny. It is based on the whole career instead of the “best five years” that regular Forces veterans get. I get a paltry $173 per month but I lose it from my Service Income Support Insurance Plan (SISIP), so I derive no benefit that I keep.

5. It is also based on 1.5 per cent of career earnings instead of two per cent.

6. The CPPD application means the Canadian Forces is abusing Service Canada, saving at its expense by avoiding the administration of the application. Given this fact, perhaps the taxpayer would be better served with fewer public servants in that program. Although it might appear to be two related federal government departments, the Canada Pension Plan is fully funded by the contributor with no government support. Add to this the fact that CPP is a joint federal-provincial program so the military is leeching from the provinces; transferring costs from one level of taxpayer to another is just a shell game.

7. If we get our pension, it is clawed back by everyone: the Canadian Forces’ Service Income Support Insurance Plan long-term disability, Veterans Affairs Canada’s Earnings Loss Benefit (a copy of SISIP), etc.

This abuse of those who serve the national interest and public safety must be treated fairly or no one will join the military. A Supreme Court of Canada case stated that the worst form of discrimination is that in law, as it conditions the public to believe the trodden-down group is unworthy of respect and deserving of the punishment by the majority that created the law.

I believe Canada is better than this.

Capt. Matthew Edwards (retired)
St. John’s

http://www.thetelegram.com/opinion/letter-to-the-editor/2016/12/22/letter--part-time-veterans-serve-their-country--too.html

Back to top Go down

Re: Part-time veterans serve their country, too

Post by Vet1234 on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 07:25

Well said Lawnboy.
Vet1234
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2016-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by LostTrucker on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 09:11

a Veteran is a Veteran.........plain and simple
LostTrucker
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2016-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 15:04

SISIP and VAC doesn't care if you are a reservist or full time when calculating their deductions. They will deduct any and all pensions received by 100% from their income replacement programs. So even if your CF pension was ten times more, you are not going to benefit from it as long as you are getting SISIP. I'm currently on EELB, and they deduct $1600/ month from my 90% total, for my CF pension. I'm not making less than the 90% amount, but I'm just making it from two sources instead of just one.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3103
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top