Veteran answers need for PTSD services

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Article about PTSD help

Post by pinger on Sun 24 May 2015, 12:18

OTTAWA -- After he returned to Canada from a tour in Afghanistan in 2007, Trev Bungay suspected there was something wrong with him.

"I returned a different person in many ways," he says.

"I was angry, scared, hurt and felt alone. I pulled away from people. I had nights that were more sleepless than not and I had a ton of flashbacks.

"I bottled it up for years, kept going back to Afghanistan over and over.

"Finally, in 2013, I snapped, I wasn't sleeping much, eating nothing, drinking and taking drugs to deal with my life and then attempted suicide that failed. When I got out of hospital, I went for help. I knew it was over career-wise and started seeking help."

That's when the 37-year-old ex-military man -- who served for 17 years in places such as Afghanistan, Bosnia, Africa and Haiti -- was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.

"When I was diagnosed, I found that a lot of the frustration was dealing with Veterans Affairs and going from hospital to hospital to be treated by different doctors," he says.

With no one to talk to, no one to help him with his medications and feeling like he had nowhere to turn, Bungay knew there had to be a better way for PTSD patients to get the care and support they needed.

So after struggling through the system himself, he formed an ad hoc support group at his home to offer other veterans the kind of help he knew they needed.

And soon after, Kyle Atkinson -- a businessman who saw the demand for PTSD services -- reached out to Bungay after hearing about his work with veterans.

Together they launched Trauma Healing Centers, the capital's first PTSD clinic, which opened its doors March 30.

"The demand has been overwhelming," said Bungay.

"We're getting a lot of calls from veterans, emergency responders and others who are suffering from PTSD and are just looking for better support and help with accessing doctors and treatments."

The centre is open to anyone -- not just veterans or active duty members -- who has PTSD, trauma, chronic pain and disabling illnesses, and no doctor referrals are needed.

It's staffed with physicians, psychologists, message therapists and dieticians, most of which have backgrounds in helping patients with PTSD.

There is also assistance available for veterans who need help navigating and dealing with Veterans Affairs Canada.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/05/23/veteran-answers-need-for-ptsd-services

What stood out in the article to me was the... "It's staffed with physicians, psychologists, message therapists and dieticians, most of which have backgrounds in helping patients with PTSD." Sounds pretty well-rounded to me. How in blazes is it funded though??? pinger.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Veteran answers need for PTSD services

Post by Guest on Sun 24 May 2015, 13:47

pinger im not sure how its funded . however what I can tell you is I do know Trevor . he was hard core , intelligent and professional . this would be one of those guys you could trust with your life . always happy quick with a smile easy to talk to . not the guy you would think had a problem or would ever try and hurt himself but then again I guess non of us are mind readers .

just a guess but im sure if someone has these type of issues you could call and find out . im sure they would be more than helpful.

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Riddick on Sun 24 May 2015, 15:48

Speaking from personal experience........PTSD has sooooo so many variables to it......so many factors come into effect.

Take Tinnitus (ringing in the ears), not everyone diagnosed with PTSD has Tinnitus. Many have some of the same symptoms but to varying degrees. Guess how annoying to have ringing in both ears 24/7 is!

And......everyone deals with it or hides it differently. Denial is huge, as is not wanting anyone to know....Not being the person we once were........not being able to do things with your family, not to mention being intimate.

Everyone has seen how some people act when they are nervous........awkward facial expressions.....or they fidget, or they giggle/laugh etc. Many people who have never had a broken leg can still understand to some degree what an individual with a broken leg is going through. Some will have more pain than others, but we can imagine what it would be like to have to use crutches......and hobbling around, not being able to itch it or getting pants on, bathing swimming etc. But with PTSD, to imagine the flashbacks, the triggers, the anxiety attacks, paranoia, the hyper vigilance, frustration with lack of memory or concentration and of course sleep deprivation, and you try to keep your sh_t together around your family. Making decisions and the confusion, having no hope for the future......I think I made my point.

Then there are people like O'Toole who has never (assuming) needed to use medical Marijuana to help with the symptoms that multiple over the counter drugs just can't duplicate or relieve.......makes one feel like knocking on his door and punching him right out to the gall darn moon. For an educated individual he can make some dumb ass comments.

Soooooo having these kinds of caring people around....well no one can imagine how appreciated and needed they are. Just like the lawyer for the Equitas Society.....services for free......thanks just doesn't feel like it means enough.

Riddick
Riddick
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2015-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sat 13 Jun 2015, 06:46

Now down to 205 pounds still feel better even after 7 pages of ptsd statement for vrab Look forward to my green tea with a pinch of saffron every morning it is so calming. and lets me  concentrate on the fight ahead. Just an update for those interested in loosing weight and possibly getting off meds last bp 120/81 the method works 38lbs sense the start of this post.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapper Zodiak on Sat 13 Jun 2015, 19:11

Congrats Wild thing! Sensible eating is key. Glad you are shedding the pounds and feeling better. That is key...feeling better. Less pressure and strain on the ol bod! I am at 207.4 this morning, down from 238 in the fall. No diet. Just eating "fuel" for my exercise level. Stay well.
Sap

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 13:34

Thank you for the posts, very informative. Wildthing, in what form do you take the saffron? Do you eat wheat anymore? A sample of a daily menu would be really helpful if that is ok. Thanks.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 15:29

Sparrow with the saffron i take it in its pedal form not pills i just put a pinch in every time i have a tea or sometimes cook with it $6.98 gram at one of our health food stores. As far as menu i have a grape fruit for breakfast. cucumber or tomato sandwich for lunch on whole wheat low salt bread. or make my own soups with no salt chicken or beef broth and mrs dash stew mix or a chili with mrs dash chili mix. lets say for example dinner fast fry t bone steak grilled, some baby potatoes 6 to8 choped with fresh mushrooms green peppers onions fried in a small amount of extra-virgin olive oil and a boiled cob of corn. nothing out of a can no processed meat like weenies lunch meat etc. No salt no sugar some margarines have very low salt and no fat so that is what i use for corn etc. fast fry steak and porkchops cook fast and stay tender good for me i like steak cooked nice and tender no blood, and you think you just ate a big steak dinner when actually it takes 3 of the fast fry to make one normal steak,your local butcher will cut any meat to fast fry just ask. drink water or no sugar added juice or tea no pop or coffee what so ever. I dont eat sweets anyway so never had to deal with cakes cookies etc,but i am sure there are options available. This is a small sample hope it helps.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 15:48

Thank you wildthing, I am going to look at my health food store for the saffron you speak of. The menu is also very helpful and gives me food for thought ~ thanks again and keep up the great work you are doing with healthful eating.

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Mon 15 Jun 2015, 16:29

sapper thats about right eat for your exercise level i just took it a tinny step farther with giving up processed food wanted to get rid of it fast but did not expect it to come off this fast.My old abs are trying to break through if i could exercise they would come out of hiding. [lol] been told by people thats enough i eat healthy and dont want to change will see if my body levels out, wont let myself drop below 195lbs some times when travelling you have to eat processed but i like the way I am eating now more flavor in natural food and i enjoy preparing it. Now if I could figure out how to make it summer year round and win the lottery!

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Veteran answers need for PTSD services

Post by Sapper Zodiak on Mon 15 Jun 2015, 17:59

Thanks wildthing. It feels better on my back to be slimmer. In my army days, the muscle weight was quite heavy, but the weight of the fat was very hard to deal with. I dont know what my ideal weight is though, as I am 5'9" and was pushing 240lbs, but now am 207 ish. Maybe staying under 200 is for me. Just watch for "mission creep" of the fat. Be well.
Slightly Slimmer Sap

Sapper Zodiak
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 963
Registration date : 2012-11-12

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top