Government data ‘not usable, not used or not acted upon’: auditor general

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Government data ‘not usable, not used or not acted upon’: auditor general

Post by Teentitan on Sun 08 May 2016, 22:36

I read a series of stories a few months back about MM and the rules.

Rule #1 the GoC will only dispense MM in it's original form (leaf/bud). If the GoC manipulates MM they are breaking the law as they are now drug dealers not MM dispensories.

For example a father used MM converted to oil/linament to rub on his daughter as she was having up to 80 seizures a day. The results his daughter ended up having less then a dozen seizures.

He knows that he can be arrested anytime as he is now a drug dealer because he is converting MM to oil/linament. He finds it completely absurd that this threat hangs over his head but until the laws are changed and MM is given a DIN (drug identification number) MM cardholders have to receive their MM as is.

Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3271
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigrex on Sun 08 May 2016, 23:04

You would think that they would prefer that people use the oils, or inhalers. After all, it would remove the stigma of Veterans "smoking pot", as well as eliminate any of the health risks associated with smoking it.
bigrex
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3103
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Teentitan on Sun 08 May 2016, 23:05

Until the laws are changed it is what it is.
Teentitan
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 3271
Registration date : 2008-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by sabrelove on Mon 09 May 2016, 07:29

In the meantime, they are granting exemptions.  Cannimed was the company that the Government chose to dispense MM when first granting licenses 13 years ago.  They continue to operate under the new program.  Here is the news release from Cannimed about dispensing MM oil:

SASKATOON, Aug 6, 2015 - Prairie Plant Systems Inc. and CanniMed Ltd. have successfully received Section 56 exemptions under the Marihuana for Medical Purposes Regulations (MMPR) governed by Health Canada and as a result have begun oil manufacturing for patients. ...
“We are very proud to be among the first licensed producers to receive the go ahead from Health Canada to manufacture CanniMed oils for our patients,” said Brent Zettl, President and CEO of Prairie Plant Systems Inc. and CanniMed Ltd. “Patient requests for oils have been significant with as many as 67 per cent responding to an informal survey suggesting they would prefer this delivery method over smoking or vaporizing.”

Hopefully VAC will catch up and reimburse this safer delivery method.

sabrelove
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2012-09-08

Back to top Go down

Medicinal Cannabis Patients Alliance spokesperson Laurie MacEachern

Post by Guest on Mon 09 May 2016, 12:09

Outside the precinct, Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr will give the opening remarks at a “stakeholder summit” hosted by the department, which will bring together “approximately 90 representatives” from veterans’ groups to discuss relevant issues.

Hehr will also hold a “live interactive Facebook session” with :”stakeholders from across the country,” after which he’ll make himself available to the media.

Later this morning, Veterans Accountability Commission co-founder Clayton Goodwin joins Medicinal Cannabis Patients Alliance spokesperson Laurie MacEachern at the Centre Block press theatre to share their concerns over “dismissing the use of cannabis as medicine.”

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/kadys-watchlist-for-may-9-mps-to-begin-line-by-line-review-and-possible-rewrite-of-assisted-dying-bill-this-afternoon

Back to top Go down

Government data ‘not usable, not used or not acted upon’: auditor general

Post by Guest on Mon 09 May 2016, 12:24

News - For Mike Collins, medical cannabis has been a life-changer.

“Like my t-shirt says, ‘plants not pills’,” he says. “I really believe in that.”

The 14-year Canadian Forces veteran medicates with cannabis in several different ways: there's a topical cream he makes himself, which allows him to relieve the arthritis pain caused by injuries he sustained while serving, and two different kinds of cannabis – one for daytime, one for night, that help him manage chronic pain, anxiety, nightmares, night sweats and more.

“Medical cannabis saved my marriage,” he remarks. “There’s no other way to put it.”

And, he says, he’s not alone.

“I’ve watched people who used to be shut-ins get off the pharmaceuticals, switch to medical cannabis and now they’re taking their kids to the hockey games, they’re they’re out shopping with their wives, they’re out doing family vacations again.”

As the IC (“In Charge”) of the new Marijuana for Trauma centre in Kingston, Collins hopes to help other veterans, as well as an increasing number of first responders and other front line workers suffering from PTSD or related illnesses, find a similar path. Marijuana for Trauma Kingston opened May 2 at 496 Discovery Avenue, Unit 9.

The national company began in New Brunswick in 2013 and has quickly expanded throughout Canada; their motto, ‘Veterans Helping Veterans’, speaks for itself. MFT is not a dispensary, and focuses primarily on providing assistance and a sense of community for veterans and other community members who medicate with cannabis.

“Marijuana is surprisingly about 10 per cent of what we actually do,” says Andrew Brown, co-founder and vice president of MFT Ontario.

The organization offers clients assistance in obtaining and using medical cannabis, as well help navigating Veterans’ Affairs paperwork and programs; the centres also host occupational therapy, yoga, meditation, art and music therapy and ever-popular peer nights, where clients get together to connect and share stories.

“The community aspect of it is amazing,” Brown says of the peer nights. “We haven’t seen this many veterans in a room since we were overseas. If you take a look at our patient roster we probably have people who have been deployed on every overseas operation since the Second World War – including, actually, the Second World War. It’s incredible.”

Collins says he made 64 new friends at his first peer support night.

“I can’t even count the number of hugs that I got, and I was the new guy. I didn’t know a soul there. Our peer support nights are not folks sitting around telling war stories, grumbling, upsetting each other. There were 65 veterans there and I didn’t hear one story about Afghanistan.”

He laughs, noting that they all seem to go from straight-forward soldiers to “a lot hippie.”

“There are times where we just go out and walk barefoot in the grass just so we can connect with the dirt again… It’s hard to get upset when you’re standing in a circle with six guys all talking about how they took their kid to a park for the first time.”

Brown says that opening the latest location in Kingston was an easy choice.

“It’s been a military town since its inception and it’s a high deployment base. A lot of the units in the area are deployed overseas constantly to some of the most obscure, remote parts of the world. So there’s a lot of need in Kingston.”

Collins looks forward to working with the community to help others who are struggling turn their lives around.

“We were all in the military for a reason and generally speaking it’s because we wanted to help people,” he says. “We wanted to leave the world a better place. We wanted to stop the bad guys. Well, we have that same passion [here] and it’s always for my brother, for my sister, for the people beside me.

“When you’ve got that family, that connection, it’s hard to have a bad day at work.”

http://www.kingstonregion.com/news-story/6525458-veterans-ptsd-sufferers-find-community-in-cannabis-at-marijuana-for-trauma/

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top