I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance

Post by SaintJohn18182 on Fri 24 Feb 2017, 08:29

Hi all, Nice to meet you.

I have released Jan 2014 and finally got a disability award for 'generalized anxiety disorder' after applying for it shortly after release. I wanted to get the hell out of the military and didn't want to stay in a day longer so I volunteerly released as I didn't want to be stuck in while doing all this medical crap, if that makes any sense :/

Beginning of this month I got approved for the Rehab program and now my ELB is on 'step 3'.

I found out who my case worker is in Saint John but haven't heard from her yet.

I am SO nervous about all of this because I feel like my case worker has my life in her hands and I don't know what to do.

I've been dealing with this condition for years now and I'm on medication and medical marijuana plus I am now seeing a psychologist every 2 weeks, I AM NOT trying to mooch off the system, and I don't want my case manager to think so either.. but I am basically afraid of people, social interactions and I can't even stay awake half of the day while on these meds..
I tried adjusting my dosage and everything. I have to realize that I'm going to be living like this for the rest of my life, unfortunately.

They're going to try their hardest to get me back to work but its not that I'm lazy or anything like that, its just I mentally can't do it.

Sorry for sounding like a moron, I just don't know what others experience with their case worker is.

SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2017-02-24

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm new to all of this and could use some guidance

Post by johnny211 on Fri 24 Feb 2017, 08:49

Hi SaintJohn18182 - First off let me welcome you to the forum. A couple of years ago I came to the forum also, in the same boat as you. A awesome gp on here that can help you with your ? I also went thru Voc Rehab for mental disabilities. If you have a good CM you will be fine. Voc Rehab, does not have to be just schooling. If in conjunction with your pscy and CM assessment it is determined your work days are over, then carry on with working on you. Do not let them force you to school, stick to your guns. You could be TPI, and thus get EELB till. sixty five. Hope this helps, any more ? Just ask.
Johnny Out. VVV
johnny211
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2014-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri 24 Feb 2017, 09:02

ive had good ones and bad ones . this question has been asked many times and judging by those the replies you will get will range from very good to very bad .

unfortunately your CM does kinda  have your life in her hands .sooo treat her that way and......

in case you get a bad CM .

start reading all the info you need to know . you want to know her job better than she does .VAC website, info on here and the legislation . ask a lot of question's from friends that have went through it and right here .

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Fri 24 Feb 2017, 12:40

SaintJohn,

Some good advice given by both johnny and propat, to add to it some I would say to never feel guilty about applying for benefits, that's what they are there for, so apply for everything you feel you deserve. Have a look at the List of VAC Benefits category above to see if they may pertain to you, Johnny is right, rehab does not necessarily mean going back to school, your psychologist can write up letters saying whether your capable of returning to the work force or not. Talk with your psychologist in asking him or her for support in your quest for benefits. Regarding your CM, well the best thing to do is if your uncertain about whether she is given you the right info or nor, or supporting you or not, ask on this forum. Lot's of members here who can help and guide you through the process be it with your CM, or with any benefit you are applying for.
Remember that the benefits are there for you to apply for.

Don't get to overwhelmed with the process, take it one day at a time and everything will fall into place.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5001
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayse29 on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 14:27

I have many diagnosis' related to military service. Not to hijack your post, but I am wondering if I should see a VA case manager in town before submitting a claim myself. It's on paper from a prominent psychiatrist that I have PTSD - directly related to military service. Is this enough ammo that I can submit a claim without the guidance of a VA case manager? I have never seen one yet.

Trooper, there are many other things that I can apply for via your link and it is all on my medical file as being service related. Is it safe to apply for the benefits myself without the guidance of a VA case manager?

Jayse29
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2016-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Trooper on Sat 25 Feb 2017, 16:37

Jayse,

Absolutely you can apply for benefits without the support of a case manager, case managers are always available, but not always necessary, if your starting a rehab plan, then you will need a case manager, TPI is another area which a case manager can help or assist.
If your comfortable with what you have, send them in, if denied, appeal, that is really the process we all have to go through.
Sometimes it is better to apply on your own, the reason I say this is because case managers are not all alike, some are excellent, some not so much.
If your lucky and end up with a good CM, all is good, but if you choose to apply on your own and you run into problems, a CM will be available to assist you at that point in the process.
Your saying you have medical docs to support various benefits, apply for them all, like I always keep saying, the benefits are there for us to apply.
You also have CSAT at your disposal, lots of info here, and lots of support here.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5001
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJohn18182 on Sun 26 Feb 2017, 18:16

johnny211, propat & Trooper

Thank you for your responses, you made me feel a bit better about myself and I am a little less worried.

I hope my case worker is nice, I really am.

See, I haven't went to Afghanistan or anything like that, I did a tour but it was to Columbia. But regardless, I feel like I deserve nothing compared to individuals who actually went to war.

SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Willie on Sun 26 Feb 2017, 18:44

Saint John, please don't minimize your contributions in your service to Canada. There are many veterans on csat that have not experienced war per say but  yet they are legitimately injured and deserving of benefits such as yourself. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone and that you are deserving of benefits. Take care

Willie
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2017-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon 27 Feb 2017, 08:35

ya saint john what willie said . doesn't matter where you been . all that matters is what injuries you have and what benefits you are entitled to . apply for them all I say you deserve them .

apply apply apply

propat

Back to top Go down

Post by Dove96 on Mon 27 Feb 2017, 17:36

My post was very depressing so I removed it. Bad day.

Last edited by Dove96 on Mon 27 Feb 2017, 19:49; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Depressing content removed)

Dove96
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by pinger on Mon 27 Feb 2017, 19:38

Jayse,

It shouldn't hurt to get a cm's take on your claim before you submit it.
But validate it with as many med. eval's/reports as you can.
Something in your service/med files about it? Copy it and send that too.
Did some of your buddies know about your sit. back then? Mention their names.

SaintJohn wrote,

" I feel like I deserve nothing compared to individuals who actually went to war. "

That's how I always used to think too, but it never really helped me...
Those benefits are there for us to apply for and to HELP us.
And any notion of feeling unworthy of it...? That ain't gonna help.

Lotsa good advice on this thread.
pinger
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJohn18182 on Sat 04 Mar 2017, 18:00

I just feel terrible for applying for anything, It literally took my wife 2 years after I released to convince me to apply for my disability benefit as she saw first hand what the military did to me.
I Voluntarily released as I wanted to get out as quick as possible especially since I wanted to kill myself.

Anyways, those days are behind me but I'm still suffering daily.
I am really appreciating the fact that now Bluecross / VAC is covering my psychology sessions as I wasn't able to go to them because they're too expensive.

I'll never feel as important as someone who actually put their life on the line at war or who has a very serious injury, its just who I am I guess but thank you for telling me that I am important and I shouldn't feel bad.

I'm currently waiting for ELB to get approved and I haven't heard from my case manager yet.
I guess its all a waiting game, which isn't fun for those with anxiety Laughing

I hope you're all having a good weekend and its a pleasure to meet you all!

SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Post by prawnstar on Sun 05 Mar 2017, 13:15

Like Pinger said it doesn't hurt to get a CM to review your docs before you send them in. In my case everything I applied for I got because my CM actually did most of it for me. I couldn't deal with filling out the forms. One thing I learned was the wording in doctors/psyche reports is very important. Things like "might be able to work in the future". This is a guess and not helpful in obtaining the benefits YOU ARE ENTITLED TO. I have a service dog and delayed getting one cause I thought others needed one more than me. We all have the same entitlement to benefits regardless of what the circumstances are as long as they are caused by our military service. Good luck Saint John.

prawnstar
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by SaintJohn18182 on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 21:44

Hi Again all,

I have a meeting set with my CM, she is coming to my house.
I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to say to her but I am asking my spouse to stay home with me to help me. I am the absolute worse when trying to explain how I feel and etc that I will just say "I'm Fine". lol

I was thinking of writing a letter to my CM to explain how I feel and stuff but its not the Case Manager who decides how long I stay on ELB right?

SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

ELB.. how does it work?

Post by SaintJohn18182 on Mon 03 Apr 2017, 21:48

Hi all,

I just started to receive ELB and wow its nice to actually get paid once again, I 4c released and got approved for my disability award afterwards so the only revenue I have now Is Earning Loss Benefits.

I have my first meeting with my case manager in a couple weeks and I would really like to know how ELB works before I meet with her.

Say I go to school, and find a job but my mental disability (that I'm awarded for) comes back? And I lose my job or have to quit, what happens then?

What if I can only work part time for the rest of my life?

What if I cannot work anymore?

I'm currently seeing a doctor and psychologist and working on myself but I feel like I'm getting no wheres in improvements.

Anyways, I'm so nervous about meeting my Case Manager Neutral .
SaintJohn18182
CSAT Member

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum