Advice to assist a long time Veteran

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Advice to assist a long time Veteran

Post by bog6 on Tue 07 Mar 2017, 22:15

Hi, i was just introduced to a Veteran (Bill) that unfortunately has went thru some very had times.

Few years back he approached VAC about his health issues, they provided him the forms to complete, he took it with him because it was his first time applying for a benefit.

When Bill got home he was over whelmed with the paper work and just brushed it aside. Since than his wife passed away, his health deteriorated and was lacking funds to support himself. He had to relocate so he left his apartment and went to live with his son. His son lives alone and just gets by on his own by working construction. He takes his dad to all the doctor appointments and struggles to keep up with the bills.

Bill served as an RCR in the reg forces, unfortunately was also deployed CFB Gagetown and was exposed to Agent Orange. His health is deteriorating including his sight

I want to help him but where do i start? Bill does not know that i am doing this. Just want to make sure i have all the resources before confronting him or his son with options.

any assistance would be appreciated

Bog

bog6
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2017-02-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Advice to assist a long time Veteran

Post by Trooper on Wed 08 Mar 2017, 06:18

bog6,

You need to find out if his medical condition or conditions or disability is related to his service.

If he claims one or more is related to service you need to push him, assist him in applying for support and benefits from Veterans Affairs.

You can assist him by getting him to contact VAC by phone and asking for help to fill out applications.
VAC should direct him and support him in this situation. He needs to inform them he cannot fill out the applications on his own.
They may provide him with a case manager.

You can keep in contact with him or his son to ensure his getting the help and support he needs.
Trooper
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 5276
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ex Member on Wed 08 Mar 2017, 09:35

ok this is sad . first off I recommend you telling him what you are up to as he may not want to go through the proses .

been down that route you have taken before and wasted a bit of time .

explain the proses as best you can and make sure he is on board .

2nd see troopers above .

3rd you and his son can take a active role in phone , email contacts and the filling out of applications if need be .

now if he is on board you will want to get all the applications in soonest as they take time and I'm assuming time is a factor . you will also want to get a copy of his medical file from the military . unfortunately his would be in archives and will take much longer to receive so not helpful for the applications themselves unless waiting on those is an option but would be helpful in future applications or redresses if required . also check with the family doctor first on this as the guy may have got a copy on release and given it to them with any luck .

last but not least thank you for your service not just military but your real service to vets . you truly are the best of us .

propat

Ex Member

Back to top Go down

Post by RobbieRoyal on Wed 08 Mar 2017, 10:17

please note Bog6 you need to get his family on board by getting someone to become his voice, This is done by Bill consenting to A Power of Attorney, his son or even you. He needs someone to act on his behalf as I just went through this with my dad and now that he has passed on(RIP BIG FELLA) we as a family through Power of Attorney can still act on his behalf with VAC. It is very hard to deal with VAC when the Vet has passed on, you need to contact and apply to retain all his CF medical history and employment docs through the freedom of information act and start the arduous puzzle making agenda. Again POA is a must for someone helping these troops. Food for thought my dad was in Gagetown in 66-68 and we applied for his Agent Orange Claim post death certificate, without the POA the process would have been long and sickneing. I hope Bill can do the right thing and thanks for looking after the troops your a good one hooorah
RobbieRoyal
CSAT Member

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2013-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by bog6 on Wed 08 Mar 2017, 21:44

Thanks everyone, no time to waste.

BZ, Never leave a anyone behind!!

Bog

bog6
CSAT Member